Antop Antennas!

If your furthest station is 35-40 miles away, all stations are LOS, station spread is 55 degrees, you plan on doing an attic installation, and can purchase a 401bv at $81 versus $143 for a 400bv, why would you need a 400bv?

A friend tried one in my area last month at 35 miles from the transmitters and the 401 did not fare that well. Pixelation on two normally good channels and one other channel missing. He switched to a 400 next week and perfect performance on all channels (same weather conditions and topology). I witnessed it as he was doing the setup and testing both weekends. Another friend in another state had the very same experience at 45 miles (flat terrain). Iā€™d stick with the 400 regardless of price. Perhaps thatā€™s why Antop reused the 400 architecture for their newest 800 seriesā€¦ At the last CES conference, the Antop engineer hilighted the 400\800 model and showcased the 400 internals.

Internally the 400 and 401 are structurally two different antennas so Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d even compare them any longer. Apples and oranges. They might as well be from two different companies except for the nice casing that makes them look alike.

I guess everybody has their price pointā€¦ If the 401 works under some conditions and the price is right, fine. There just seem to be better testimonials for the 400 across the board. At my age, if I had to climb up to the attic, Iā€™d get the best I could just to do the job once. But for me the 401 is not a cheaper variant of the 400 any longer. Two different boxes.

If you really want to compare the various antop antenna models you just need to reference the global (non-usa) WEB site. It doesnā€™t use the U.S. model numbering and the model colors are black (no VHF rods) but you can tell which match what.

And Iā€™m sure you can find negative reviews of the 400bv.

Iā€™m not comparing the two from appearances. Iā€™ve opened both boxes and looked inside first hand. I have the photos and the measurements. Plus first hand experience with friends who installed both at a variety of locations and conditions and were able to judge the two in real life situationsā€¦

Dah. Iā€™m not comparing by apearance. Iā€™m trying to help compare their model numbers and specifications to U.S. model numbers.

Are you personally interested in getting an Antop? Iā€™m investigating the Antop in case the repack requires me to place an antenna outside (my current ones are in the attic). Iā€™ve read too many stories of the repack causing people to change their antenna strategies so Iā€™ve been looking into how an Antop may help me out in case the repack in my area doesnā€™t go as itā€™s supposed to. My wife will only accept something like an Antop outside the house - she doesnā€™t want to see any bare metal whatsoeverā€¦

Another friend suggested I look at the Marathon because it has a better preamp embedded though it is identical to an Antop in all other respects. Winegard also appears to have come out with an Antop-like box ($149) with a stated LO VHF capability.

1 Like

Are you talking about the Elite 7550 Amplified Outdoor Antenna (WE7550A)?

Yes.

Slightly different approach with reflector rods on the outside which the Antop doesnā€™t have.

A good review of it at Tomā€™s Guide:

@MarkKindle If you look around the web there are many critical reviews of the Winegard 7550. The main complaint is flimsy construction. The Antop 400BV is built really well. The 7550 is all thin plastic which people complain falls apart.

For example: Winegard Elite Outdoor VHF/UHF HDTV Antenna Reviews

Blockquote ā€œthe Fit and Finish on this so called Elite Antenna is a Joke, For the Price Winegard is charging for this you would think it would be more Sturdy, But when I opened up the box and seen that it was 95% Cheap Plastic I knew it wouldnā€™t last 2 years in the Sun and High Winds here in Florida, In fact the screws they include are ā€œSelf Tappingā€ Corse Threads that cut into the Plastic when you screw them, so if you over tighten them just a little bit your toast because the Plastic hole will strip out.ā€

1 Like

I agree. CordCutterNews gave it a thumbs up for reception and a thumbs down for construction. He said he wouldnā€™t mount it outside, only in the attic.

Surprising because Winegardā€™s classical antennas were known for excellent construction. Iā€™m guessing this one was built for them.

My aim in pointing this one out was to suggest that more and more companies are going to be emulating Antop, even the classical ones. The urban market dictates a flat panel approach as cordcutting expands. Notice the larger ones are all in the same price range.

I still think the cream colored Antop is the classiest form. The only one my wife accepts! But then HSN may have had something to do with that since sheā€™s an HSN fan. Antop has appeared on HSN several times over the past two years. Itā€™s fun watching the HSN personnel pitch the Antop breathlessly (you can see the YouTube segments).

Has Tablo ever appeared on HSN or QVC?

Iā€™ve used both an attic mounted unamplified ClearStream 4V and an attic mounted unamplified Yagi with almost identical results which are extremely good but not quite perfect. Iā€™m wondering if I could expect even better results with the Antop 400BV and if it works without amplification or is it baked in?

@yardbird had a ClearStream 4V and went Antop because it gave him a wider sweep of the stations. The signal strength stayed the same. Maybe he can comment here.

There is an unamplified version (just 400 no B or V in the name). The amplified SmartPass version (400 B or V in the name) can be set high or low amplification (that may help). The 800SBS series has a controllable amplification level dial.

This is the greatest Antop commercial ever. All 18 minutes of it.

If you want the greatest antenna ever, the most magnificent, stupendous, terrific, superior, glorious, fantastic box, THIS IS IT! Let Aaron and Adam tell you about it:

1 Like

4K Ultra HD TV !!! Too bad you canā€™t actually pick up a 4K signal with it.

Unless they are implying it will work with the upcoming ATSC 3.0 standard

The graphic said ā€œup to 4K.ā€ So yes, that seems to be what they are implying.
More honest that some of the cheesy ads that claim 4k reception when you install their garbage antenna.

Love my Antop AT400-BV.

Yes, I have the Clearstream 4ā€¦ in my garageā€¦ trying to sell it on craigslist. Itā€™s a really good antenna, but it wasnā€™t good in my situation where the towers are spread at the very limits of the CS4ā€™s beam width. And besides the spread, in one direction the towers are at about 35 miles. In the other direction theyā€™re at 8 miles. The Antop 400BV has a MUCH wider beam and even with the built-in amplifier on for the distant towers, I donā€™t over-amp the close ones. Signal has been rock solid even with fully leafed out trees and through driving rain and wind. For me, that just means I can cross it off the list of stuff I have to dink around when conditions change (I was constantly running out to tweak the CS4ā€™s direction).
So yeahā€¦ Antop 400BV for me.

@bbaorbb - see yardbirdā€™s post (above) today. If you try the Antop 400BV, get this amplified version because you can set the levels of amplification to low or high. May be worth a 30 day trialā€¦

Thanks @MarkKindle and @yardbird, I researched further and I will probably order oneā€¦

Just remember, @ben1 is the one to blame, not us. He innocently started all thisā€¦