Antop Antennas!

That website is awesome. So is me tv I’m learning about some shows for the 1st time, lots of fun

That antenna got 62 stations in the basement? Wow. That says it all.

Yep, and in a forest. Just remember the Marathon is essentially the Antop.

If your antenna (struggling with topic) receives MeTV - jackpot! Me, I’m not big on the westerns, the comedys, some are more corny than others… sometimes you just laugh at how simple and basic they are. Ok, so maybe you’ll get tired of them everyday, maybe not.

I’m a fan of the Beverly Hillbillies (espically the early seasons), and the rural peroid - the writers were ingenuous!

I mean do you know what a gozinta is? gozinta

Yeah my dad told me it’s a rebranded antop. After my sister told him about her antop antenna he got curious then decided to buy one of these & take it apart. He’s an engineer so he gets an idea in his head & can’t leave it alone.

Your dad can take a look at this post. I discuss the theory behind this model of antenna. I’ve also taken one apart and looked inside. Would be interested in any comments he may have.

1 Like

I haven’t seen that show yet but I love charlies angels and the facts of life so I’m starting to record those. Also Columbo it looks interesting.

Charlie’s Angels is the forerunner to Women’s empowerment! At the time a bit more derogatory terms may have been used… a generation of independant young women just saw girls thinking for themselves and not needing a man to defend them. Of course, the guys saw things differently :blush:

The season of Columbo they’re showing now are the “revival” ones. The Columbo TV series was canceled in 78. Eleven years later in 89 - 03, primarily led by Peter Faulk, Lt. Columbo made a come back.

I prefer the original ones, nothing wrong with the newer ones - just can tell a difference. Columbo doesn’t fit into the 80s and his trademark mannerisms are exaggerated or forced. But that’s just me. I grew up on this stuff, mom had to watch him every week - back then only rich people had more than one TV :frowning:

Still - Columbo is awesome - takes away the who-dunit! genious! How’s he gonna get 'em?

I’ll send him the link. He’s one of those guys who takes everything apart and I mean everything, even cars and examines them before putting them together again.

This is remarkable! Hats off to this guy, great post.

Here’s an interesting review of the newest Antop model - the AT-800SBS. He also uses the SmartBoost amp to get more FM stations for his stereo.

I may upgrade to this, I’ve had my current Antop for one year now.

Doesn’t the at-800sbs say: 85-mile signal range

Depending of the height of the tranmitter and the height of antenna can’t 85 miles be a long distance for reception for users on a flat earth surface.

Can’t the Pythagorean theorem be used to calculate the curvature of the earth per mile.

I personally know of one user who gets stations 75 miles away. The terrain is flat with no obstructions.

Signals can also follow the curvature of the earth or bounce off the Ionosphere. Some 2-edge signals will bounce off ridges and skip along the surface of the earth. I have several 2-edge signals with no LOS. TVFool shows LOS, 1-edge and 2-edge signals from broadcast towers to a location.

For the FM capabilities?

While a user might get tropospheric scatter reception, does 1-edge/2-edge flat surface diffraction reception occur when the reception antenna is beyond earths curvature.

Montrealers routinely get stations from Plattsburgh and Burlington (70 to 90 miles away). People in Vancouver BC get Seattle stations at 100 miles. 85 miles is a possibility. One sees many requests for antenna types between these locations at OTA forums.

In fact it’s fascinating to read the posts of OTA DX’ers in the Great Lakes regions (especially around Lake Superior) who get stations at very long distances even without Tropo. Some of them build their own high powered antennas such as Holl_land’s stacked FF6 design (which I’ve used):

http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/stacked/verticallystackeduhf/vertstackff6doubleanglerefl

The venerable Channel Master 4251 antenna would pick up signals regularly 100 miles away (eg. Youngstown Ohio to Buffalo NY):

http://www.rocketroberts.com/cm4251/cm4251.htm

I was born and grew up in the great lakes area. It doesn’t compare to Kansas.

But why not buy a Antop At-401bv. Pretty much the 400bv with 5 miles less range.

I thought I saw on sale at Walmart for $81.

Someone asked that question at the Antop website Q&A. The Antop support person said that it wasn’t only range but beamwidth. The 400 has a wider range (20 to 30 degrees wider in scope). I’ve seen the interior of both antennas. The wider 400 has a slightly different arrangement and larger configuration of reception plates internally.

I guess that’s why in the review above the guy was able to get 85% of his stations downstairs while pointing North. Upstairs his antenna points West (where the stations are) and he gets 100% of them.

Wouldn’t you find that a strange answer. It seems they are implying the 400bv is better then the 401bv.

But their own WEB site sells the 400bv for $143 and 401bv for $162

1 Like