Antop Antennas!

That is fantastic, what a great website! I have enjoyed ME TV, did not know they were this serious about what they were doing, had no idea they were this polished. Bookmarked!

If you still use emailā€¦ somewhere you sign up for a newsletter. Some of the quizzes are too temping not to take a shot!! When they overhauled the site a couple years ago, some complaints - itā€™s too ā€œfancyā€. Considering their demographic, yea, they should have kept it simple - like their comedy shows :laughing:

struggling to get back on topic - Antop antennas are probably great for tuning in Me-TV !!

The Marathon is the same antenna as the Antop. It won in this comparison test with several other types (even from the basement and foresty area). The Marathon and Antop are designed and manufactured by the same company but marketed under different brand names.

1 Like

That website is awesome. So is me tv Iā€™m learning about some shows for the 1st time, lots of fun

That antenna got 62 stations in the basement? Wow. That says it all.

Yep, and in a forest. Just remember the Marathon is essentially the Antop.

If your antenna (struggling with topic) receives MeTV - jackpot! Me, Iā€™m not big on the westerns, the comedys, some are more corny than othersā€¦ sometimes you just laugh at how simple and basic they are. Ok, so maybe youā€™ll get tired of them everyday, maybe not.

Iā€™m a fan of the Beverly Hillbillies (espically the early seasons), and the rural peroid - the writers were ingenuous!

I mean do you know what a gozinta is? gozinta

Yeah my dad told me itā€™s a rebranded antop. After my sister told him about her antop antenna he got curious then decided to buy one of these & take it apart. Heā€™s an engineer so he gets an idea in his head & canā€™t leave it alone.

Your dad can take a look at this post. I discuss the theory behind this model of antenna. Iā€™ve also taken one apart and looked inside. Would be interested in any comments he may have.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen that show yet but I love charlies angels and the facts of life so Iā€™m starting to record those. Also Columbo it looks interesting.

Charlieā€™s Angels is the forerunner to Womenā€™s empowerment! At the time a bit more derogatory terms may have been usedā€¦ a generation of independant young women just saw girls thinking for themselves and not needing a man to defend them. Of course, the guys saw things differently :blush:

The season of Columbo theyā€™re showing now are the ā€œrevivalā€ ones. The Columbo TV series was canceled in 78. Eleven years later in 89 - 03, primarily led by Peter Faulk, Lt. Columbo made a come back.

I prefer the original ones, nothing wrong with the newer ones - just can tell a difference. Columbo doesnā€™t fit into the 80s and his trademark mannerisms are exaggerated or forced. But thatā€™s just me. I grew up on this stuff, mom had to watch him every week - back then only rich people had more than one TV :frowning:

Still - Columbo is awesome - takes away the who-dunit! genious! Howā€™s he gonna get 'em?

Iā€™ll send him the link. Heā€™s one of those guys who takes everything apart and I mean everything, even cars and examines them before putting them together again.

This is remarkable! Hats off to this guy, great post.

Hereā€™s an interesting review of the newest Antop model - the AT-800SBS. He also uses the SmartBoost amp to get more FM stations for his stereo.

I may upgrade to this, Iā€™ve had my current Antop for one year now.

Doesnā€™t the at-800sbs say: 85-mile signal range

Depending of the height of the tranmitter and the height of antenna canā€™t 85 miles be a long distance for reception for users on a flat earth surface.

Canā€™t the Pythagorean theorem be used to calculate the curvature of the earth per mile.

I personally know of one user who gets stations 75 miles away. The terrain is flat with no obstructions.

Signals can also follow the curvature of the earth or bounce off the Ionosphere. Some 2-edge signals will bounce off ridges and skip along the surface of the earth. I have several 2-edge signals with no LOS. TVFool shows LOS, 1-edge and 2-edge signals from broadcast towers to a location.

For the FM capabilities?

While a user might get tropospheric scatter reception, does 1-edge/2-edge flat surface diffraction reception occur when the reception antenna is beyond earths curvature.

Montrealers routinely get stations from Plattsburgh and Burlington (70 to 90 miles away). People in Vancouver BC get Seattle stations at 100 miles. 85 miles is a possibility. One sees many requests for antenna types between these locations at OTA forums.

In fact itā€™s fascinating to read the posts of OTA DXā€™ers in the Great Lakes regions (especially around Lake Superior) who get stations at very long distances even without Tropo. Some of them build their own high powered antennas such as Holl_landā€™s stacked FF6 design (which Iā€™ve used):

http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/stacked/verticallystackeduhf/vertstackff6doubleanglerefl

The venerable Channel Master 4251 antenna would pick up signals regularly 100 miles away (eg. Youngstown Ohio to Buffalo NY):

http://www.rocketroberts.com/cm4251/cm4251.htm