Able to set a recording under my account

It would be great if I can login to my account on the portal and see my recordings, what is recorded and most of all set records via the portal.

I don’t have outside access to my Tablo ( I don’t want to open firewall ports) and it would be great to have this feature.

There might be a lot of users that wish tablo servers knew less and not more about what happens on their unit.

Collecting realtime recording information for thousands of users could be costly. But maybe as a premium feature that users pay for. Of course what does it mean if you don’t find what you were expecting on the tablo servers.

It seems a bit counterintuitive to not want to open port …on your firewall, to protect yourself - yet openly allow excessive data mining on your devices.

Zippy makes a valid point. They know and collect more than you really know. They have “logs” and of course collect info from your guide data subscription (if you have one) and you know Gracenote collects even more.

1. Compiled Data . Nuvyyo compiles and analyzes usage and performance of the Services (“ Compiled Data ”) and uses Compiled Data to build features and improve the functionality and feature set of the Services. Nuvyyo shall have exclusive ownership of any Compiled Data and the exclusive right to use the same for any purpose, provided that Nuvyyo shall not distribute any Compiled Data in a manner which identifies users.

Excerpt from an initial email with tech support -

Thanks for contacting Tablo Support.

We have had a look at the log your Tablo sends to our database;

Your tablo sends logs to Nuvyyo - no matter what… no check box! Of course, you’re not allowed to see the logs on your own device. Well, you probably don’t even know tablo is looking.

That’s not quite right.

In order for us to collect logs, you need to enable remote access on your Tablo. This can only be done by the customer from their end.

What Tablo does report back is simply basic health information like when the device last checked into our servers, when it was last rebooted, and what type of hard drive is connected.

Individual data like that is only used for support purposes.

Aggregate data is used to monitor the overall status of Tablo DVRs in use.

Here’s the email I saved from tablo support

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 12:40 PM Tablo <support@tablotv.zendesk.com> wrote:
##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Your request (52993) has been solved. To reopen this request, reply to this email.

Tablo Support - Derek (Tablo)
Nov 26, 12:40 PM EST

Hi there,
Thanks for contacting Tablo Support.

We have had a look at the log your Tablo sends to our database; it seems that the Tablo has been experiencing frequent reboots due to the hard drive disconnecting while it is being recorded to. As well, the Tablo log shows the hard drive as being 0% used. It seems as though the drive may be beginning to fail.

I recommend trying a different drive if you are able and seeing if the issue remains. If you are not able to test with another drive, we can run a test to confirm that it is indeed the drive that is causing these issues if you would like.

If you would like us to test the drive, please put your Tablo into remote access mode using the instructions listed below.

Press the reset button 3 times rapidly (3 times within 1 second).
If done correctly, you’ll notice your LED will begin blinking twice in a row, with a small pause (heartbeat mode). This will allow us to access your Tablo remotely.

The trick to remote access mode is to watch the Tablo for ~2 minutes after you try this. If the blue LED goes solid, it didn’t work and you need to try again. The most common reason for this not working is if you did not click the reset button 3 time quickly enough. This needs to be very fast.

During this time, the Tablo will work entirely normally. The session will last until of one us reboots the Tablo.

Please send us an email back if you have any questions or would like for us to test your hard drive connected to the Tablo.

Thanks,

Derek
Tablo Support
Monday-Friday 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM ET
www.tablotv.com/support

Djk44883
Nov 23, 10:04 AM EST

TabloTV ask to mention this thread Hard Drive not detected on and off - #7 by djk44883

I get message “Hard drive temporarily unavailable” yet I can still play recordings and shows are recorded. - despite message appears to function. It’s mentioned there are logs to be checked?

Claims to know not only when it reboots… but why it’s rebooted(?) And whether or not the drive is connected and progress of recordings. Along with drive capacity or availability.

No I never put in in remote access mode for any of this. Either, as I suspect, (and eventually concluded), I was misinformed as to my good drive failing… or they’re not telling you just how much information tablo actually sends to HQ.

Do techs sometimes tell uses what they need to or what they believe they want/need to hear? This support ticked was initiated from here - Hard Drive not detected on and off - #8 by TabloTV

Really just want to know what our tablo’s know when there are issues, instead of getting what now seems to be FakeLogs :neutral_face:

Have you found what logs tablo was referring to in the email they sent me? I did not enable access, It was suggest I could, to have my drive tested… my logs were already viewed.

Have you found what logs tablo was referring to in the email they sent me then? I did not enable access, It was suggest I could, to have my drive tested… my logs were already viewed.

Here @TabloTV says there is no log collection, Derek from @TabloSupport said they had looked over my logs - contradicting confusion.

They could be talking about logs on their side from when your Tablo “calls home” vs a totally separate type of log that would exist on the Tablo itself.

That’s exactly it.

Maybe the real problem is why and how often does the tablo firmware phone home to tablo servers. And that is different then the possible nightly connection to gracenote servers. for guide data.

What is the big deal about it “phoning home”… It records OTA shows… I don’t understand.

Tablo can be run with or without a subscription. The first point is that inhibits when and how you use tablo when their servers go down.

The prime example of that was when they recently took their servers down for maintenance. They didn’t even seem to realize that Roku users with multiple units would suffer a 45 second delay when connecting and/or disconnecting.

So just what information would a tablo server need to know? I’ve never had the desire to use remote connect but my fire tv sticks say they are “paired”. Paired to what and why.

Do they really need to know what devices I’m using to access my units?

I have a lifetime subscription on all of my units so it can’t be my subscription status. And the settings page has a refresh button that phones home.

If they have this information already it doesn’t seem to be helping them fix existing problems.

exactly?

You claim it only says…

the tech seem to know… “Tablo has been experiencing frequent reboots due to the hard drive disconnecting”
Not just “last rebooted” but why. Weather it was the button, powerfailure (like it writes to the log it has no power?) or drive disconnected, while be recorded to. This is a cause for reboots? and it log as the frequency of reboots? why and when

While you only know…

Tech support has log showing “As well, the Tablo log shows the hard drive as being 0% used” - capacity used.

This is the detailed contradiction information I’m inquiring about. Does my tablo log, for support, how much my drive has stored,used, and possible reason why it may be booting?

If I disconnect my drive during a recording, does this actually trigger a reboot? :thinking: Or is all/much of this just stuff users get told to make them feel better?

data mining and privacy concerns …disclosure