4th Gen, Some FAST chan's at top of Live Guide

This is something new. The first photo shows the Live guide with 4 of the FAST chan’s at the top ahead of the OTA Chans. It shows the same on Roku, Android mobile and Android tablet.

I ran a scan when I saw the FAST chan’s in the wrong place. The new scan didn’t fix it. Power cycle didn’t fix it either.

The second photo shows the top of the scan results. It looksnorman with only OTA chan’s.

I decided to check the possibility that the FAST chan’s are grouped in the scan. They are not. The third phorh shows Dove and ION are adjacent with LaffMore at the bottom.

I decided to check for the displaced chan’s in theFAST section of the guide to see if the chan’s are duplicated or actually moved. The 4th photo shows that Dove, ION and Laff More are not where they should be in the FAST section of the Live Guide.

The relocation doesn’t bother me since they are 4 of thechans that I watch most.

3 Likes

I have the same issue starting today

2 Likes

I have three showing at the top of the list. At first I thought they might be Favorites, but only one.

I’m guessing they bought the position in the list.

2 Likes

I too am having the same problem. I am also in the DFW area. Although my FAST channels are the same as pictured above, mine also includes “The Walking Dead Iniversal” channel for a total of 5.

1 Like

I am also experiencing this in the CHS area. No big deal. At least functionality is not impacted.

I’ve got the same five.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Hi folks - Over the coming months, we will be experimenting with some changes to the Tablo interface to highlight some of the great free streaming content available on Tablo.

1 Like

Seems like another communication thing (unless you are doing A/B testing I suppose) in that these questions/posts could be preempted by simply communicating these changes prior to them actually being done.

3 Likes

Are you saying… you are trying something that Pluto does? They push some of the “featured” channels to the top?

1 Like

I understand wanting to share more of your content, but there are a couple of things that need to be addressed.

Mostly, that the Tablo is already almost a brick during one of your server outages that happen so often. It’s already hard enough to get into our 4th gens when this happens, this sounds like it’ll be a nightmare the next time the janitor trips over the power plug.

Why would you make these machines even MORE dependent upon calling home???

6 Likes

Hate that actual locals aren’t listed first like the used to be. This isn’t an improvement. Let users set order of display would be a better solution.

5 Likes

Now you understand why the guide data is “free” as they mess with your settings to “promote” stuff. At some point I’m pretty sure there will be outright on-screen ads…

2 Likes

I was going to say something similar. Like, “Maybe you could pay Tablo monthly to show local OTA channels first to offset their losses for not promoting their ad-supported channels.”

It’s all about the money.

1 Like

I’ve been reading these forums as a guest since I got my 4th-gen 2-tuner Tablo in February. I created an account today so I can post this.

Please don’t muck around with the channel order. I think it would be fine to offer an option to display “Featured Channels” on the Live page, or to have a “Featured Channels” section on the Home page. But I already find the channel listing clunky to navigate, and having to scroll past several channels that don’t interest me just makes that worse.

For context, I’ve been a TiVo user since 2001 and I’m currently using a 7-year-old TiVo Roamio. I only watch a few OTA shows/channels these days and I wondered if Tablo could serve as a less expensive replacement for my aging TiVo while giving me more flexibility in antenna placement. I like that the Tablo doesn’t have to be anywhere near the TV, but after using it for a couple of months, I’m glad my TiVo is still functional. When I use the Tablo, I really miss being able to jump to an OTA channel by pressing the channel number. I dislike having to scroll through a long list of channels, and adding more (non-favorite) channels to the top of the list only makes that worse.

(It would be great if users could create personal channel lineups that could be ordered by the user’s preference. The “Favorites” option is helpful but my personal list of OTA channels would not be in numerical order.)

1 Like

Honestly - My wife and I thought something was wrong with our Tablo, that’s why I joined this thread.

The more we use it, the more it doesn’t bother us. I think we are used to it due to Pluto TV.

1 Like

Why not just experiment with the “home” page. It seems like a place for that. If you rarely use FAST channels why would anyone screw around with the other lists. And for those that use FAST channels and rarely OTA there are better solutions then tablo. Maybe the gen 4 is really becoming a DOA OTA solution.

5 Likes

How you fix this problem is untick all of the fast channels when you do a scan or after a scan. Unless you are recording them they are not needed as you can pretty much get them elsewhere. And for me half the time they freeze up anyway on the Tablo and they don’t freeze up elsewhere!

1 Like

Another way is that every day you use the gen 4 and find FAST channels at the top of the lists you go to settings and unselect those channels. And you are doing pretty good if you get FAST channels to work properly 50% of the time.

I doubt that if a large number of gen 4 users deselected the FAST channels tablo would get the clue.

1 Like

Same thing here.