$300 TiVo Roamio OTA DVR with lifetime subscription

ok so throw in the lifetime and it's a bit more but even at 6 devices with lifetime you're still at $92.00 a TV/Device.

Don’t forget the cost of the Rokus.  But you are correct that comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.  I have a DVR on every television PLUS seven whole house DVRs in my basement.

I am not familiar with Tivo at all. Are you able to watch Live TV/Recordings, and manage the recordings via a Roku App or do you have to change to a HDMI input dedicated to the Tivo?

Tivo = Roku + Tablo + Hard Drive

Did some more research and in my case it does not add up.I already have a Roku 3 on 4 TV’s so if I am getting this right it would cost me $750 to replace what I have with Tablo.

Once you have made an investment with one OTA DVR solution, it is not cheap to switch to another one.   What Tablo has to worry about some is the brand new cord cutter (like I was last year) who is seeking their first OTA DVR setup.  This new Tivo pricing, along with their long standing interface, will make the Tivo a serious competitor for close to the same price. 

Tablo still wins with their lifetime service lasting the user’s lifetime instead of the device’s, but Tivo does win in multiple ways as well.  My feeling is competition is good for the consumer and helps keep prices down.  
1 Like

Had this offer been there when I bought my Tablo, I would probably be a TiVo owner today. We watch all our TV form one TV, don’t stream to devices and watch LIve TV from the TV. I ended up buying a Tablo and Roku 3 which was a better cost at the time.

If I were a new cord cutter today, the decision definitely would be different.

Had this offer been there when I bought my Tablo, I would probably be a TiVo owner today. We watch all our TV form one TV, don't stream to devices and watch LIve TV from the TV. I ended up buying a Tablo and Roku 3 which was a better cost at the time.

If I were a new cord cutter today, the decision definitely would be different.

You are the type that more easily aligns with the TiVo way. Start adding in additional TV locations, tablets, phones and travel and the line between the two begins to blur down a bit, especially for the younger crowd.

TiVo Roamio OTA DVR 4 tuner + TiVo Mini (for 2nd HDTV) + TiVo Stream (to stream away from home on smartphones and tablets) = $580 (300+150+130)

Tablo Quad tuner + 500 GB USB HDD + Lifetime Subscription + 2 Roku 3s = $700 (300+50+150+200)

That is for a home with a 2 HDTV setup and support for mobile devices with both the TiVo and Tablo. As well, TiVo Stream already allows you to download shows for Offline viewing. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Can you download for offline viewing on TiVo?  I've accepted the fact that Tablo will never add this feature.  

You might check the last couple posts from TabloTV in this thread:

http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/72/help-shape-the-tablo-roadmap#latest

Export appears to be a coming feature.

As far as TiVo vs Tablo - we’ve used TiVo HD for a while and appreciate the very slick UI which my wife tends to gravitate to.  Very good product which has matured well over the decades.  Tablo has been around 1 year?  

Lifetime subscription based on hardware is a rather interesting difference.  Tends to make used components and service knowledge worth a premium.  But as long as Tablo’s around for the long-haul I much prefer their “lifetime” subscription model.

Our household is well accustomed to mobile device streaming so we’re gravitating more and more towards Tablo than TiVo for the time being.  But, it’s still nice to know we can watch shows from HDMI if network troubles arise.  

For what we save on cable subscription it’s relatively easy to justify having both.  

You might check the last couple posts from TabloTV in this thread:

http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/72/help-shape-the-tablo-roadmap#latest

Export appears to be a coming feature.

It's been a coming feature since early 2014.

Kmttg is a free windows and linux app that exports tivo content, clips commercials, handles closed captions etc. Does require a bit of setup for some features, but works well. It can also be setup to watch for new recordings and automatically convert them.

Tablo is a LIFETIME EPG for ALL Tablos you own.  Will adding additional Tivo be included or is the Lifetime EPG cost PER Tivo?

Tablo is a LIFETIME EPG for ALL Tablos you own.  Will adding additional Tivo be included or is the Lifetime EPG cost PER Tivo?

Per Tivo.

Tablo tech support is the best, too so that has to count for something!

One negative for Tivo that Tablo beats hands down is that Tablo does not restrict any content.  You can stream anything on the Tablo outside of your home.  Anything the broadcasters flag cannot be streamed by Tivos or stored offline by Tivo (if I read their info correctly).

@snowcat

Streaming flags only come into play with certain cable channels (or in my case Time Warner Cable flags everything).  Over the air channels don’t have these restrictions, and this TiVO model only does over the air, so such restrictions do not apply.  You can stream on without any issues.
I am not familiar with Tivo at all. Are you able to watch Live TV/Recordings, and manage the recordings via a Roku App or do you have to change to a HDMI input dedicated to the Tivo?

Tivo = Roku + Tablo + Hard Drive

Did some more research and in my case it does not add up.I already have a Roku 3 on 4 TV’s so if I am getting this right it would cost me $750 to replace what I have with Tablo.

You are correct. IF you’re particular case as you’re already invested it’s not a cost savings.

Where this Tivo deal is logical is:
1) Someone starting from stratch
2) Someone who’s looking to expand and on the fence
3) Someone who wants to upgrade.

As someone who currently has Tivo, Tablo, Simple.TV, Roku, Fire.TV I can say that I prefer that my Roku has the widest app support and easiest remote. The Tivo however gives me everything I really need (Vudu, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Live TV, DVR). The picture on the Tivo is better than Simple.TV or Tablo over the Roku or Fire TV, and I have a LOT more features for DVR then the Tablo. But I can say the Tivo remote is my least favorite, and I’m not crazy about the menu system.

Simply Tivo offers the best picture, the most DVR features, and is the most reliable. But honestly I still use my Simple.TV and Tablo much more often.

The SiliconDust DVR system though might just replace everything for me, especially if they add a Roku app.

You only need one Tivo main (Tuners / HD) unit with Lifetime, other rooms use Tivo MIni (no tuners or HD / streaming only) which have their own lifetime.

If you need to replace the Tivo main unit the replacement will need new lifetime.

The upside about the way Tivo does this is that if you’re upgrading you can sell the old unit with it’s lifetime for a good resale with limited devalue. If however you’re unit died out of warranty then it’s kind of SOL. However, Tivo offers extended warranty for VERY little.

You only need one Tivo main (Tuners / HD) unit with Lifetime, other rooms use Tivo MIni (no tuners or HD / streaming only) which have their own lifetime.

Keep in mind that this $150 Mini with lifetime is still a limited time promotion. The price was supposed to go back to $99/$6 month/$150 Lifetime back in January. That was extended to June, and will probably be extended again, but just like this $300 OTA TiVo, until they announce it as the new regular price it is just a sale/price test.

Is this deal gone already? I only see $49 / $15 per month on the TiVo website as per usual, or am I missing something?

Is this deal gone already? I only see $49 / $15 per month on the TiVo website as per usual, or am I missing something?

Hmm looks that way. That was a quick test/promo.

The deal is still alive…here is a link to Tivo’s OTA page with Lifetime for $299. I put one in my cart with no problems and a friend ordered one yesterday as well.

https://www.tivo.com/TLP4