2.2 Firmware Release

Can Roku be used to upgrade? I usually use Android phone.

No you cannot upgrade from the Roku. Android clients, iOS devices, and the computer will let you.

And you can update from Fire TV…which is really an android client, but different :smile:

1 Like

And FireTV. That’s what I thought.

And it’s looking like July is turning to September.

Sigh.

C’est la vie.

Your “sigh” would be larger if they released a firmware update and the Tablo couldn’t detect your USB HDD (this was a major bug that needed fixing).

And if I gave my superiors ETA’s so far out in left field like the Tablo team then heads would roll.

The “we need to fix one more bug” line only works for so long and is starting to wear incredibly thin.

From what they said, it’s only a subset of disk and hopefully it makes it out prior to the end of August. What would everyone have said if I didn’t find the error I did? I was in the second group and shouldn’t have found any errors. It’s fixed now, but what IF I didn’t find it? Would other beta testers have found the problem? 7-1 was on 7-1, 7-2, and 7-3. Each are different stations but they were all the same with different schedules. It was fixed within a week of me reporting it. It wasn’t just channel 7. It was ALL of the stations and the -2, -3, -4 were the same as the -1.

I, for one, as a software engineer and a manager of same, prefer to release software without critical failures over releasing on some self-imposed schedule, even if that schedule is transparent and known to my customers. I’m a “bleeding edge” user and have tried every OTA recording box that’s out there looking for “the one” that got it right. So far, Tablo is as close as any has come in my book. You have a product that works and is continuing to work for you right this moment. Let the team get their code right and deliver it to us when they’re good and ready. Blizzard is known for the same perfectionist attitude and they define any game category they enter, even if they show up years late.

Sincerely, from me, to all the beta testers and engineers on the @TabloTV team, thank you, and keep up the good work.

14 Likes

Sell your Tablo then. Cut your losses now. Get the substitute DVR that can do what the Tablo does.

If only I had a quarter for every time the zealots started the “sell it” mantra as soon as somebody says something critical.

1 Like

Tablo really offers an excellent product with very accesible and helpful service. A firmware update done with thorough testing is worth waiting for, and hopefully spares the users and customer service a lot of future issues and complaints.

For those software engineers and team / project leaders among us, I very highly recommend a browse or a read of “The Mythical Man-Month”, an all-time classic on building software. I read it first many years ago but it is totally relevant to this very day. I have given this book to dozens of my team members over the years, and they ultimately did the same as they became project leaders. Check it out! Great human side of making software work.

Larry

1 Like

I read The Mythical Man Month years ago and it’s a relevant today as it was when it was first published. Those of who’ve worked in new product development understand what the Tablo managers, engineers and support staff go through to put out a new release, and we’re rooting for them to get it right. I’ve held up new product releases when I had to over the years because I valued getting it right over getting it fast. Tablo is correct in not releasing the new firmware until it’s ready.

Ordered the aniversery edition last night

I am in the market for a second Tablo.

It must be nice to live in such a black and white world where everything you own is either perfect with zero flaws or gets sold. Sorry but that’s not the way things work in the real world. I didn’t say I want to sell it but the simple fact is that they have over promised and under delivered on their release dates so bad that it’s laughable and your inability to see that yet defend them so zealously is laughable.

So basically you’re happy with how the product works and just love to complain - got it.

4 Likes

Couldn’t be further from the truth, go back and read what I wrote. What I said is that the real world isn’t black and white.

No I’m not 100% happy with the product (although it’s fairly obvious from your activity on the forum that you’re head over heals in love with EVERYTHING about it, the company and how it handles it’s updates) but also not 0% happy with it either. There are a lot of numbers between 0 and 100 on that scale and I’m somewhere in the middle but not unhappy enough just yet to sell it.

1 Like

In my experience, there’s just isn’t a OTA DVR out there that’s perfect. Tablo is as close as I’ve seen, and they’re obviously working hard to make it better. I own 6 OTA DVRs, to give you an idea. I tried Tivo, SimpleTV, and 2 other “off brand” versions. Tivo is nice, but you have to buy into the “Tivo ecosystem” 100% and that means long-term (relatively high) monthly fees. SimpleTV is probably Tablo’s closest competitor, and they’re development timelines and support are a joke. They’re years behind Tablo in capability, and they started earlier. The others fall 100% short of a “real” consumer product.

I understand what you’re saying about Tablo not being perfect, and there are still a few pain points for me, but based on what I’ve seen of the development and support they offer, and the active user community, I have faith that this product will only improve over time, as opposed to every other box I have, which are all stagnant.

As a developer myself, I accept and desire constructive critical feedback, but “they still haven’t delivered an update” isn’t really constructive. We’re now arguing over release cycle timing, and have been for nearly two pages. If you want to post about bugs or feature requests or issues you see with the product that you’d like changed over time, I’m sure the reception would be different. Tablo has obviously taken the approach of “we’ll release when we feel it’s ready and not a day before”. It’s a line in the sand. Time to accept that part of how they operate and move along…

1 Like

I totally agree with everything you’re saying and my only gripe is that if their policy is to “release it when it’s ready” then don’t set a line in the sand. They set the line, we didn’t. Right up until the last week of July Tablo was saying the update should be out in July and it’s now almost September.

If I had to rely on Tablo to watch the shows I like then it would have been sold ages ago. The reality is however that the only thing I record with it is the highly local news because I CAN’T rely on it for anything else. For everything else I use Sickbeard. Once it gets to the point where it works well enough then I will use it more but right now I can’t but am HOPING that it can in the future.

If nobody complains then things won’t change.

I hope that enough people have complained about the rollout of this update (and more specifically the ETA) that they do entirely adopt the “We’ll release it when it’s done and refuse to give a date” approach. I’d much rather deal with a company that has that approach than one who gives a date and then misses it so horribly.

1 Like