NEW - Tablo (4th Gen Only) Firmware Release 2.2.50

Thank you for the heads-up :frowning:

The Amazon Recast was discontinued but like many DVR devices can still be found on Ebay.

1 Like

I’ve been noticing the Tablo APP and the Show Pics and data is slower to load than x.49 firmware version.

Streaming, Live TV, and Playback of Recorded Show is fine.

Going to the library, and it takes about 25 seconds for the “latest” page pics to load. Then popping back to the Guide, it takes a bit to load.

Using Roku Ultra, and Roku TV. On 2 different sections in my home. Ultra is hardwired and Roku TV is wireless.

Rebooted Tablo.
Checked my Roku TV wireless stats. It’s all good.
Roku APP is the latest on both devices.

x.49, the pics and all loaded almost instantaneously, but now it’s about 15-25 second wait for it to load. My wife uses the Tablo daily. She noticed the slowness since the new update.

I’m going to put this out there, my wife does 100mph with the remote. Also, she loves her Tablo. It’s like her baby now.

< sorry for the late reply here, been sick with COVID for a while. Trying to catch up >

1 Like

When it said that it uses your wifi to connect to your tv it was implied you would need your internet.

Stop it. Now you’re just being silly.

1 Like

How old is your router? My tablo works fine if my internet is out.

A couple of years old. It’s not the router. There was a message saying Tablo requires an internet connection, though I can’t recall it verbatim.

Where did you get the router from?

Yeah, it’s not the router. It’s the app for the specific device. Some of them need to be able to connect to the server over the Internet before connecting to your Tablo, but not all of them. Which media player are you using? If I remember correctly, Roku is one that needs to “call home.”

Which media player do you use?

1 Like

Amazon Firesticks

1 Like

It’s a TiVo Stream 4K (Android)

I have a couple of Firesticks somewhere, I’ll find it and give it a try.

1 Like

Hopefully your internet is working now. You have to download the tablo app for the “White Tablo’s” not the legacy ones.

1 Like

I agree that the speed-up that 2.2.49 provided has now disappeared with 2.2.50. I am glad to hear it’s not just me having this issue!

1 Like

I hadn’t thought about this before. FireOS gives you a blank screen and there’s nothing you can do but connect to the Internet. Depending on the Roku device, the screen may stay blank until you connect to the network.

It does suck that the Tablo requires an internet connection to access your recordings. While it’s possible to switch to a hotspot temporarily for your regular internet needs, it’s difficult to trick the Tablo into doing the same – and keep in mind that they have to be on the same network.

Thanks for reminding me how silly my previous worries of “no Tablo when my internet is down” concern was. Although I use mostly android-compatibles, my main viewer is a FireOS device.

.^_^.

1 Like

I just checked and you are correct. When I disconnected my modem from my router My Fire stick would not boot up. I could start the Tablo app from settings but it went to the start up page, I could get no further. I then reconnected my modem started Fire stick and Tablo, went to a channel then disconnected the modem to simulate internet failure. Channel I was watching stayed on but it stopped when I tried to change the channel. I wonder if you can input more than 1 network setting and use your phone as a hot spot to get going again? I have done that with my Fire stick before. If not perhaps they should add that feature.

2 Likes

I know that sometime in the past (could be months or weeks) they said they wanted to make it easier to switch networks. But, as of right now, there is no way to save multiple connections or change to a different one.

Like I said, it can be done, but it’s tricky and takes too long (5-10min). By the time I realize it’s out and have rebooted my system to make sure it’s not me, it’s usually up and running again.

1 Like

But a home’s wifi, while using internet protocols, is not ‘The’ Internet. Internet to my house can be out, but my home’s wifi can still function. The implication I saw when I bought, was that it was a network-connected device, not one that fails whenever my provider does.

1 Like

Hello! My 2.2.50 firmware update has not completed on Gen 4 after several hours. It shows step one download. It warns not to reboot or unplug. So what do I do next? The Tablo has a blinking blue light. Please advise. Thanks.

I would think that if it is stuck in the download phase it would be OK to unplug since it is NOT doing an update. If it is never coming out of this I think you have NO choice.