NEW - Tablo (4th Gen Only) Firmware Release 2.2.50

Hi there Tablo family -

A new Tablo firmware update is on the way for 4th generation Tablo devices.

(This excludes ALL legacy Tablo DVRs .)

For the first time with 4th generation Tablo devices, this firmware is being distributed in a staged rollout over the next few weeks. A small number of customers will receive the update today, with more added to the rollout every weekday.

The firmware is now available to all 4th generation Tablo users.

When your device is eligible for the update, a notification will pop up within your Tablo app and will look something like this:

Here’s what you can expect:

Release notes for Tablo (4th Gen only) Firmware (2.2.50)

• Adds ability to add, watch, and record OTA stations broadcasting MPEG-4 video
• Corrects issue where autodelete might delete recordings on internal storage if incompatible external storage is used
• Improvements for firmware update downloads on poor internet connections
• Bug fixes and performance improvements

NOTE: The white LED will blink until the Tablo has checked in to our servers.

About This Release

Re: the Adding of MPEG-4 OTA Stations
If you live in an area with OTA TV stations broadcasting in MPEG-4 , you will be able to run a fresh channel scan and see and add stations broadcasting in MPEG-4 after updating your firmware.

With very few exceptions, broadcast television is delivered in MPEG-2 video format. However, as stations start experimenting with the new ATSC 3.0 broadcast standard, there’s often not enough frequency bandwidth available to continue broadcasting all their ATSC 1.0 stations which they must do by law.

As a result, a handful have switched some ATSC 1.0 broadcasts to MPEG-4 which is more efficient so stations can fit more channels on the same broadcast frequency.

Previously, 4th generation Tablo devices were not designed to accept OTA stations broadcasting in MPEG-4, but this new firmware will allow this.

Re: Auto-Delete Issue with Incompatible Storage
A bug was discovered that could erroneously delete recordings stored on the 4th generation Tablo’s internal storage when an incompatible form of external storage (in particular, drives smaller than 1TB) was connected via USB and auto-delete was enabled.

If you have trouble connecting to your Tablo after the update, wait 10 minutes, then reboot the Tablo and try again.

For other tips and tricks on successful firmware updates, head over to the Support Portal.

If you have any feedback or questions about this release, please post them below.

If you need support assistance, place a ticket and we’ll be in touch soon.

4 Likes

I think it might’ve channel 20 in Austin. Legacy Reeves but 4th doesn’t. I will see when I receive it

That is indeed a channel broadcasting in MPEG-4.

Didn’t fix channel 20 problem. Legacy gets 4yh gen doesn’t

Did not fix channel 24 being identified wrong using 78758. Using 78759 fixed. Tired of the useless “support” and will not call. What will other users do if their channel is misidentified becauseTablo used cheaper tuner. I have been talking with “support” since 4 tuner 4th gen was available. ,@tabloceo is this what you are letting EW Scripts turn your company into? Buy it back please. Tablo was better prior to the sale.

I don’t have Gen4, but there are at least 2 MPEG4 in the Chicago area, 2.4 and 2.5.

Did not pick it up using 78759. I want 24 correct so will not try 78758.

I’ve had Nightline set to record new episodes since day one. Last night it did not record, and it isn’t marked for tonight either. Although they’re all listed as new, I had to manually tell the app to record tonight’s episode just incase it didn’t do so automatically.

I did make sure that there was a new episode last night and was able to watch it elsewhere – thank zeus for Hulu!

Yesterday evening I noticed another show set to “all eps/any channel” was not set to record and manually programmed it, but did not think of looking at other shows. I’ve mentioned before that “do not record duplicates” sometimes recognizes it’s recorded the show before (yes, even after deletion), and it’s possible this has been recorded sometime in the past…

Anyone else with this issue lately?

1 Like

I don’t know if this is related… My wife was recording Master Chef Jr. (I know, don’t laugh) and she was like, WHY isn’t it recording? It was set to record.

Tablo APP has been running on our Roku for a while throughout the day. She exited out and reopened the APP, and it showed up in the Library.

(Sorry Tablo TV for the late response on this, I was sick over the weekend with COVID, still recovering)

1 Like

Ok, I’m still recovering from COVID, but this is the GR thread, isnt it?

2 Likes

It certainly is.

Guess my migraine is affecting me more than I thought!

1 Like

One thing I would like to have is the ability to access my Tablo when my internet is out. I stream everything and when my internet is out, EVERYTHING is out, so I got the Tablo and a digital antenna so we could all watch TV still, if the internet went oiut. I realized last night that I wasn’t able to do that when my internet was out due to a storm. My Tablo is connected to my router via ethernet and my device is connected to my Tablo via wifi. What gives?

Dang it, I keep doing it. Sorry guys.

Certainly hope they come out with a Gen4 HDMI. I have used my legacy HDMI when the Internet was down.

But then, despite some new ATSC DRM rules, my guess is that the first ATSC 3.0 Tablo’s may be primarily HDMI, and later add the ability to stream locally. The legacy ones can stream to TVs at least.

To watch TV during internet outages you will need to connect you coax cable directly to your TV. You then scan for channels with your Tv. This is assuming your TV has tuners as not all new smart tv do.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I do know that’s one solution, but not for me as I bought the Tablo specifically for use on any TV during an internet outage. The Tablo is located near the router and the antenna is mounted to the wall above it. I didn’t realize until night before last that the Tablo would not be available during an internet outage. I was considering buying a second Tablo but I don’t know now. I like it and hope they consider changing this.

T

I have the Amazon Fire TV Recast DVR and it also works via WIFI or Ethernet however it does not become unusable like the TABLO when the power goes out and my generator comes on. I can still watch over the air broadcasts.

So it can be done.

2 Likes

I could understand the guide not being accurate or something, but the channels are still there, the recordings are still there, I should be able to access those without an internet connection. I may not be able to use the guide to see what’s on channel 4.6, but I should still be able to watch (and DVR) channel 4.6. I’m going to look at the Amazon Fire TV Recast. Thank you.

2 Likes

Like so many IoT devices these days, EVERYTHING involves talking to a server. For the Gen4 Tablo, the reason the guide is free is probably because everything you do is tracked and sold.

2 Likes

You’re a little late to do that. The Fire TV Recast was discontinued in August of 2022.

2 Likes

I’m fine with it doing that… when there’s an internet connection, but the device that I paid for, believing I could do exactly as I described earlier, should not become unusable during an internet outage. At the very least, somewhere prior to POS, I should’ve seen “Tablo requires an internet connection at all times.”. If I’d seen that, I wouldn’t have bought it.

From the “How it works” page…