Wont play sub channels

I’m in Los Angeles and I’m trying to play 40-5. When I click on 40-1, Tablo plays 40-1 When I click on 40-2, Tablo plays 40-2. However when I click on the 40-5 tab, Tablo plays 40-1. What is wrong?

If it’s KTBN channel 40-5 is the standard definition broadcast of 40-1.

1 Like

Doesn’t the SD version of the HD channel actually look different too? Not widescreen and poor grainy quality? Yes it’s the same content, but it should look very different to your eyes.

Many (no, I don’t have stats) SDTV channels use widescreen. SD is part of the digital format and can use 16:9 - not that all original programing fits. But, yea, it’s defiantly not as fine and clear.

Yes, you do seem to be correct! But how do I get smile of the child on TBN? Over what channel is it broadcast? Why does tablo show smile of a child programming yet doesn’t play smile programs?

You might do a rescan and check the individual channels when the show you want is scheduled. When I say check the channels, I mean ALL the sub channels in that range. I’m in Phoenix and I had a similar issue (two sub channels were reversed from what the listings said). IIRC, I had to uncheck all channels, delete the app, restart everything, reinstall the app and rescan/reselect the channels I wanted. you might want to contact Tablo support as that’s where I got all the dance steps.

“Although since June 1, 2015, it shares channel space with sister network JUCE TV on terrestrial television, Smile continues to operate as a separate channel from JUCE on pay television providers as well as on some streaming services that offer TBN’s six U.S. networks.[1]

thanks zippy,
Does that mean that smile is some sort of pay tv channel that I won’t be able to get on tablo?

The Smile WEB site states - JUCE is channel 40-3 - and it’s not clear that KTBN is supplying the correct OTA guide data 40-5. It may be only supplying cable guide data for all channels :

On June 1, 2015, Smile was combined into a single subchannel with sister network **JUCE TV** (which targets teenagers and young adults 13 to 30 years of age), under a timeshare arrangement. As a result of the realignment, for over-the-air viewers, Smile was originally reduced to a nine-hour daily programming schedule (from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. Eastern Time) on the third subchannel occupied by JUCE (which continues to air over its existing subchannel slot for the remainder of the broadcast day) on the 38 stations owned directly by TBN and through its subsidiary Community Educational Television. The following week, the time share was modified so that Smile now airs from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (Eastern), with JUCE airing the remainder of the day, giving each network a daily 12 hour window on subchannel 3.[7]

The change – due to technical limitations with its stations’ existing digital compression equipment – is a byproduct of the launch of TBN Salsa, a digital subchannel network targeting English-speaking Hispanic viewers which launched on that date.[1]

While it now has a reduced presence on broadcast television, Smile continues to maintain a 24-hour-day schedule, with all programming not shown over-the-air remaining available via live stream on TBN’s website, and mobile anddigital media players as well as on select cable and satellite providers that carry the TBN multicast networks, as was the case before the over-the-air consolidation of the two networks.[1]

On January 1, 2017, the network underwent a major rebranding, shortening its name to simply Smile ; accordingly, it dropped the butterfly logo and graphics package that had been in use since 2005.

When you said, “it’s not clear that KTBN is supplying the correct OTA guide data 40-5. It may be only supplying cable guide data for all channels” does this mean that it is a TBN problem or a Tablo setup issue? I’ve got a feeling it’s a TBN problem because every other channel seems to work properly.

zippy,

I just checked whether or not channel 40-5 Smile would come in on my antenna directly to my tv. It works the same as the tablo, so the problem resides with TBN. I’ll contact TBN and see what is going on.
thanks