Why is sync so slow?

@Morten_Soerensen - We’re working right now on changes to synch. Stay tuned!

Any updates on changes to the Roku sync times? I love the new interface, but it is still very slow to load list of recordings and channel images will only update after about 10 seconds - not really fast enough when you will generally switch a channel every second… My Tablo and Roku are hardwired and I have a gigabit switch/router, so there is no way the network is affecting my performance.

I don’t have the technical knowledge that tablouserjohn has, but perhaps I can offer a few suggestions:

1. The images and titles of recordings should be in a cache somewhere on the Tablo device itself or at a minimum on the drive attached to it. It takes approx 1-2 mins to load my recorded shows (about 50). If initially it was only the 50 images and corresponding text that was loaded, that could likely be done in seconds - the other information could be loaded in the background while the user is browsing the available recordings.
  2. On the PC version, recordings are grouped. I am assuming this will also be ultimately introduced in new Roku version. Why not load TV show tab initially as this would also have less data to display and therefore would load more quickly.
  3. The current TV listing information text and images should be loaded the moment the application is started rather than when the user clicks on the live tv option. That way this information could populate immediately when the user opens this tab. Currently it takes 5-6 seconds for the channel guide to populate with text (looks like someone is typing it in…). Also, focus on loading all of the text before loading images - it looks like the image associated with the first channel loads before the text for the other channels.
  4. Since the initial display is a 2 hour window for 6 channels, this information should be loaded first - text only could be done in miliseconds, I would think?
  5. The channel guide is visually appealing, but it takes 7-10 seconds for an image associated with a show to load. This isn’t really practical when a typical user will change channels every second - ideally these images need to be able to load within miliseconds - so either need to cache all of the images somehow or make them smaller. Again, could focus on the current listings for the first 6 channels and then expand the cached images from there.
  6. From my limited programming background, I think that these lags may be either in the database design or how the database is being queried. If the database is being queried based on the title of the show (in text format), that will take substantially longer. For example, searching for “The Late Late Show with James Corden” will take substantially longer than searching by imdb code “tt4280606”

There are lots of other apps out there without these loading lags (netflix, plex), many are even pulling information from the internet at 20mbps and not from an internal network at 100/1000mbps. I know Plex keeps a cache on my computer/server that is several gb in size - maybe that is how they make their app work so smoothly?

Set up a new Win 10 Desktop and wanted to connect to my Tablo.
Using Chrome.
Tablo is hardwired to ac1200 Router.
PC is connected WiFi ac450. 5ghz.

Went to mytablo.com
It’s been “Syncing” for the last 3 days!
Tried leaving a message in chat
(can’t seem to find anyone on)
All I got was a e-mail if I was using chrome, no response since after my reply that I was.
Where’s the support?

After reading messages here, I tried Incognito, and that worked.
Why does that work and normal Chrome doesn’t?

Incognito mode doesn’t use Chrome extensions by default. So you may have a Chrome extension giving you issues.

I would just turn Chrome extensions off one at a time to see which one is causing a conflict.

One last thing to add… If you’re running a VPN on the laptop, that can interfere with the Tablo network discovery process.

Well, it’s a new installation.

turned off all extensions, and still no joy in normal Chrome mode.
Same thing thing every time I clear the cache, it says connect to Tablo, starts to sync, gets 25% and stalls.
Incognito flies right through, 30 seconds and loaded.

Any Ideas?
This PC has only 4gig, AMD E2 AMU, so 500 meg goes toward graphics.

and to add insult to injury, IE loads my.tablotv.com in a heartbeat.
So what’s with Chrome?

There’s a Tablo native Windows app. You might want to give a try.

I haven’t used Chrome to access the Tablo DVR since I’ve been using the Windows app.

Ummmm, where would I find this app?

Everything points to my.tablotv.com with Chrome for Windows.

Sling TV has a separate app for Windows, but I can’t find one for Tablo.

The Tablo app is in the Windows store.

1 Like

Well, they sure don’t make that easy to find!

But, you DA Man!
That works great!

Thanks!

HOW does AppleTV and Roku work WITHOUT sync? PLEASE do the same for Android phones and TV.

The Tablo Preview app for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV already does not have sync because it uses the same API (communication method) as Roku and Apple TV: https://www.tablotv.com/blog/new-preview-tablo-app-amazon-fire-tv-android-tv/

One of the things we’ll be working on this year is to bring more apps to this new sync-less communication method.

2 Likes

I am running the Tablo app on an iPAD. I am remotely connected to my Tablo. The app has been syncing now for over 3 hours without any idea when this is going to be done. In the mean time, nothing works. I can’t watch Live TV, watch recorded shows, etc…

This is absurd. Is this EVER going to get fixed???

It shouldn’t be taking anywhere near that long. This sounds like the devices aren’t communicating correctly.

Best bet is to sync it before leaving home. How frequently do you use it. Try to sync at least ever couple of days for faster sync.

We have 64 channels from a few towns that we receive and record quite a few, so syncing takes a while on Amazon, but Amazon preview is faster and Roku never takes time to sync. We have a lot of tv’s and all the Roku work better than Amazon