Why is sync so slow?

The ROKU app is slow,  we all know that and the hope is that is something that will be handled with app mods.  What really baffles me is why the Updating and Sync is so slow on the iPad?   Example,  open up iPad app and go to my recordings,  check for latest episode of my show,  its not there?   Can’t figure out what is wrong.  Go back to menu and realize that the app is “Syncing”.   Sure enough after a few minutes the recordings are “synced” and I can play the latest episode.  

I am assuming that it is inefficient code?   It should only be copying/updating data tables and some new graphics.  Whatever it is,  it needs to just be there when I get into the app   Same thing with the channel guide updates when new channels are added.   It is so slow it is like it downloading the data OTA instead of via the Internet.

@MattMan13 

Syncing is a very relative process, and it depends on a few things:

- The amount of channels and data on your Tablo. This includes channels, scheduling, recordings, schedules, how long it’s been since your last sync, etc.
- All of this information versus your home network speed. The path here is Tablo > network > device being synced. 

For example - I only have 6 channels selected on my home Tablo, with a very light recording/scheduling load. I can go a week without connecting to my iPad, and have it sync within ~1 minute. At the office, we test with all different kinds of loads and combinations, and the sync time will always correspond with the amount of data and the speed at which it’s being transferred.

I hope this helps!

How much data can it possibly be copying?   Do you have any benchmarks on how much data could be copied in different scenarios?

Again,  does not seem like alot of data,  it seems like Tablo app is not efficient in processing the data.  I will be adding CAT5 from Tablo device to Wifi Router and will see if that helps.

-MattG

I can’t say if it will help… but as someone with a wired Tablo,  I think the sync is pretty slow (but my slow may be quite different from your slow).

Deleting recordings is also unnecessarily slow.   Click Delete Episode,  wait 10 seconds,  episode deleted.   I don’t understand what it is doing that takes 10 seconds?   It is a table lookup and delete command to the HD.   If it is waiting for the HD to respond,  just move on and kick up an error message if it isn’t successful instead of making us wait.

Btw, the new firmware has helped on overall speed (maybe sync as well).

Deleting recordings is also unnecessarily slow.   Click Delete Episode,  wait 10 seconds,  episode deleted.   I don't understand what it is doing that takes 10 seconds?   It is a table lookup and delete command to the HD.   If it is waiting for the HD to respond,  just move on and kick up an error message if it isn't successful instead of making us wait.

+1

Just logged into the browser and clicked on my TabloTV link.  It took 5 minutes to sync!

-MM13

Deleting recordings is also unnecessarily slow. Click Delete Episode, wait 10 seconds, episode deleted. I don't understand what it is doing that takes 10 seconds? It is a table lookup and delete command to the HD. If it is waiting for the HD to respond, just move on and kick up an error message if it isn't successful instead of making us wait.

Keep the benchmarks coming @MattMan13 speed is an important issue. Your lucky, it often takes over 25 second to delete an episode on my dual 1.4GHz smart phone (ARM proc) vs. 3-5 seconds on my 4 core 1.33GHz Win8 tablet (Intel proc). Kudos for the speed improvements on the Intel platform @mattb33.

I’m sure the root cause for these performance issues is due to the real time commit states along with the intense file counts per recording (600+ for an hour long recording?). I understand Tablo records little 10 second chunks of video and uses file names to track the playback order. I’m not sure if playlist files (m3u) are also generated… But those along with a task queue log seems to be a way to work around the intense activity happening during UI interactions… Busting my poor little ARM smart phone proc to pieces.

@mattb33 A task queue manager really seems to be needed… Even if it’s just working off of task files written to the hard drive and executed by whichever client happens to connect and have background cycles available to process them. I don’t care if disk space is immediately freed, I would rather have a faster UX. Couldn’t a folder of m3u files populate a local client DB faster, too?

In my case, I have over 960 recordings now and my synchs are exhaustingly long… which I experience when ever I go back to the android tablet app. Mercy.

Is there an update as to if and when syncing will ever speed up?

Ditto

Hey all,

The answer for why syncing takes as long as it does hasn’t changed. It really depends on the size of your Tablo’s database, and the speed of the network delivering it.

That being said, our engineers are looking at optimizing this process a little more, so we’ll have some improvements here soon.

Hey all,

The answer for why syncing takes as long as it does hasn’t changed. It really depends on the size of your Tablo’s database, and the speed of the network delivering it.

That being said, our engineers are looking at optimizing this process a little more, so we’ll have some improvements here soon.

With respect, that doesn’t answer why syncing takes so long. It only addresses why syncing takes longer with more channels in your guide or over a slower connection.

What we’re all wondering is why this data, which should be on the order of a few to a few dozen megabytes, would take more than a few seconds on a connection that can clearly handle HD streams.

Glad to hear it’s being worked on though. It’s certainly frustrating having to wait a few minutes to sync when you’re trying to catch something live at that very moment.

Of course it goes even further to beg the question why even push it to the client device at all, and just treat the client as a “thin” client and only push what it currently needs to actually display on the device at the moment the user is interacting with some feature or aspect and only the relevant data it needs to do that immediate specific function.

1 Like
Of course it goes even further to beg the question why even push it to the client device at all, and just treat the client as a "thin" client and only push what it currently needs to actually display on the device at the moment the user is interacting with some feature or aspect and only the relevant data it needs to do that immediate specific function.

It might be needed to make Tablo Connect work properly.  By downloading that data on your home network, you won’t need a lot of bandwidth to use your browser or tablet remotely.

Notice that the Roku doesn’t do a sync like other devices, and the Roku is a device that you can’t use Tablo Conncet on.

Just wanted to echo the frustration of others.  My laptop has been trying to sync for the past 10 minutes.  It is connected via CAT5 directly to the same router that the Tablo is connected (also via CAT5).  I have a gigabit router.  I could transfer 100’s of megabytes of data in that amount of time. It’s obvious there is a MAJOR coding flaw.  This needs to be fixed or I will be looking elsewhere for an over the air DVR.

@skquirl We've just pushed the 2.1.18 firmware update - it contains some significant updates to the syncing process. A few folks here have already been reporting some encouraging results. I really recommend you update and check it out :)

@skquirl

When did you sync last? Usually I open up the Tablo daily and it takes seconds to a few minutes only.

I have a problem with syncing on all my devices. I understand the Roku issue, but I have three TVs using PC’s to run Tablo and one using Roku 2. One PC is direct wired to the router and is the only one that seems to update regularly and quickly. The others are connected through the wireless network. I have to reboot the PC’s in order to sync the list of recorded programs. Nothing else seems to work. This means I have to reboot a PC several times a day to keep it current with recorded programs if I want to timeshift viewing by a couple of hours or watch something that has recently recorded. A recorded show will not show up in my list of recordings until I reboot the PC. There should be some way to fix this, maybe I’ve missed it.

I have a problem with syncing on all my devices. I understand the Roku issue, but I have three TVs using PC's to run Tablo and one using Roku 2. One PC is direct wired to the router and is the only one that seems to update regularly and quickly. The others are connected through the wireless network. I have to reboot the PC's in order to sync the list of recorded programs. Nothing else seems to work. This means I have to reboot a PC several times a day to keep it current with recorded programs if I want to timeshift viewing by a couple of hours or watch something that has recently recorded. A recorded show will not show up in my list of recordings until I reboot the PC. There should be some way to fix this, maybe I've missed it.
Some things to try:
Try closing and reopening your browser (instead of rebooting).
Try a different browser (firefox instead of chrome - or the other way around).
Try clearing all your browser's caches.
Try an incognito tab in your browser (disables the browser cache for that tab).