WHy does play back stop due to low signal?

I am about to ditch this device. I have had the Tablo HDMI for a couple of months but it is practically worthless for any channel that doesn’t have perfect signal. If the signal drops for a second, it just gives up and quits. Of course you can select “retry” which works every time but that is annoying while watching live and makes it unusable while recording.

2 Likes

Have you opened a ticket with @TabloSupport so they can look at the logs and hopefully provide you more details?

The firmware from March 20 seems to help with this issue (at least reducing the occurrence of the Retry popups). Have you updated to that firmware yet to see if it helps your situation?

I have one problematic channel (RF9). The channel is still problematic, but with the released March 20 firmware at least it continues to try to record a show instead of terminating.

Scott

This issue is annoying. It seems that if the signal “gives up” for just a moment then it aborts the entire recording. I’d just as soon tolerate some pixelating or a blank screen for a few seconds as opposed to an entire FAILED recording because of a random/brief signal loss. Looks like Tablo could “dial back” the tolerance on this.

1 Like

I’ve had the Quad, for over a year. I’ve found that it really suffers from the ‘Goldilocks Principle’, when compared to the original, still operating, and very dependable. ChannelMaster DVR+. The unit sucks in channels just like the Sony TV. Even the original, and still operating, PHD-VRX gives the Quad, a run for its money.

For the past year, I’ve been jumping through all the hoops ad nauseam, trying to get dependable recordings.

The lack of any live-time feedback concerning reception and other problems, makes user troubleshooting just about impossible.

I don’t relish being the shadetree mechanic that keeps changing out parts until there is a semblance of a successful repair.

If I ever want to have a dependable recording, I rely on the DVR+.

I still have (but shelved) my DVR+. Yes, it’s RECORDING ability is more stable vs the Tablo, however I had more than tolerated inadequate/un-reliable DVR+ guide data - yes, with an internet connection - for well over a year. Everything I read and even one exchange with Channel Master support said they are no longer supporting the DVR+ since they’ve not manufactured one in several years. If my local channels added new sub-channels, the DVR+ never kept up with internet-connected guide data. Basically, the guide data for my TV market was a mess. And I simply didn’t like the missing features like “NEW” or “ALL” recordings with PSIP channel data, plus the inconsistency that some of my channels had with 6 hrs, 12 hrs, or 24 hrs of future guide data. There also was the NOT the “buffering” affect when tuning to channels on the DVR+, unlike the TabloHDMI. The “buffering” is something I fail to understand with the TabloHDMI since it’s directly connected. I would understand this buffering with Tablo’s longstanding networked-connected devices.

The Tablo HDMI units when watching directly on the device (not streaming to a Roku) doesn’t tune a channel immediately? It really should given there is no conversion from MPEG2 video to h264 video like with the network connected DVR.

I still have a Channel Master DVR+ connected in the bedroom. So, I just went an compared. In the grand scheme of things, the “buffering” may not be as dramatic as I indicated. But this is exactly what I just observed:

DVR+ : Consistently across the channels, exactly 2 secs lag between channel changes.
TabloHDMI: Lag varies across the channels, 3-6 secs lag between channel changes.

I certainly realize that with digital TV - versus the old analog - one does NOT get the same instant gratification between channel changes. It’s simply the nature of digital vs analog. I also realize Tablo’s software/tuner is probably “massaging” that incoming signal differently than the DVR+ (or ANY other TV tuner) before it appears on my screen.

How quick is it going back to a previous channel? It might be the setup time for a new/different tuner so that the current tuner stays on the current channel.

Ok, I just tried that. After my TabloHDMI had been idle I woke it up (no tuners are tied up with recordings, either) and tuned to a channel and the lag was about 4 secs; tuned to another, and the lag was 3 secs. Retuned to the previous channel and the lag was LESS than a second. I tried this multiple times and switching between two of the same channels results in less than a second. “Freshly-tuned” channels result in the same 4 secs or so of buffer or lag; continually doing “previous channel” and the buffer or lag time is almost zero. I had never tried that nor thought of that. Interesting stuff…

Yeah, a tuner will stay on a channel for a while if it’s not needed for something else. That’s because a different clients might be on different channels. So the 3-4 is the initial setup time, and once a tuner is locked in it can stream immediately.

This issue has almost disapeared for me since the last update but was very annoying before that. Happens randomly once in a while but a lot better now

1 Like

I have this problem, too. Why can’t the software just keep going with a bit of a garbled signal for a second or two? Very annoying…

1 Like