What's a good sound system to go with a vizio tv?

I’d never seen one of those before, it looks great. It is unusual for a (sub-$200) 2.0 / 2.1 sound bar to have a dedicated Sub Woofer output, the remote looks solid and what a great price. You got some good hands-on advice from @tapokata. All in all, way to go.

1 Like

I bought a powered Yamaha brand sub for it, used from E-bay for not a lot of money. Probably most any powered sub will do, when the time is right. Note using the wired sub won’t disable the “internal” sub-woofer, but in using the Yamaha remote app, you can dial down the internal sub-woofer presence, and bring the desired effects back by increasing the volume level on the powered sub. There’s also no crossover setting nor bias adjustment in the bar- but then again it’s a sound bar, not an AV receiver costing twice as much.

I haven’t used it for music much at all- I almost forget that’s an option.

I’m still impressed that a bar of that size and at that price point supports HDMI-ARC.

2 Likes

This soundbar is grrrrreat for music now its my main music system! I’ve got thousands of songs on my fire tablet, play them through the yamaha system with bluetooth. So good I almost forgot about my tv. So a guy from work told me I could connect an echo dot to it & then listen to all my spotify and amazon music playlists with alexa. The yamaha sound bar rules!

Although you’ve found a Soundbar that you love at a good price, just tossing this out there, the LG is on sale for $89 this week:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-2-0-channel-soundbar-with-40-watt-digital-amplifier-black/6201020.p?skuId=6201020

1 Like

You’re right I love my yamaha sound system. Using it for music and tv both. Best buy opens in 10 mins. I’m gonna go listen to one of those lg bars & if it’s good I could grab one & use it in my bedroom or use it for a gift somewhere down the road. Nice heads up thanks!

I may pick one up as well. For that price, and the fact it’s LG, I can definitely find some use for it something - even if just to stream music in the office or den, etc. Or throw it in the closet for future gift, as you recommend.

Folks have different needs and reasons when making a purchase decision. In my case, I purchased that exact LG bar, thinking it would be a good fit with my LG TV (the sound bar was at Wal Mart for about the same price). I wasn’t real happy with the sound quality, and returned it the same day. I bought the Yamaha a couple of days later.

1 Like

OMG it sounds great. I love the lg soundbar, the tv shows & movies sound really really great. And it is so compact. It has a really solid feel & look to it too.

I love the yamaha since I bought it but to my ear the lg sounds better with tv shows & movies. I mean, it really sounds great. Watched the movie passengers & wow! You can’t upgrade this with a subwoofer, like the yamaha but wow, sounds great. I hate having too many choices.

It’s a bit out of the price range you mentioned but I managed to snag a Vizio SB36512-F6 (their entry level Dolby Atmos system) open box at Best Buy a few months ago for $300. It’s normally $500 and it was in excellent condition so it was a really good deal. I bring it up just to say if you ever find it around $300 it’s well worth the money. It pretty much blows away anything else in the $300-$700 range.

1 Like

That looks like a very excellent system. Hard to find a good Dolby Atmos capable system for under $500, much less $300, great score on that one.

Looks like Costco has that for about $450. I didn’t realize Vizio was making high-end sound product like that.

https://www.costco.com/Vizio-SB36512-F6-36"-5.1.2-Home-Theater-Sound-System-and-Wireless-Subwoofer-with-Dolby-Atmos.product.100459820.html

It really looks excellent.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised. The only issue now is being patient for more Atmos content. Quite honestly about the only real place I use that uses it widespread at this point is Vudu. But I figured for that price I’m future proofed for a bit as the Atmos content increases.

1 Like

Funny you mention Vudu. I recently watched the Jack Reacher sequel and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on Vudu, both with Dolby Atmos, the experience was fantastic. Don’t know why I streamed Oblivion because I own the UHD disc, but I watched that as well - the sound and image, outstanding!

1 Like

Wow that’s a really great sound system. I guess I don’t understand what atmos is but with my needs I’m good with a hundred dollars payout or so. Plus I’m not sure how many Hallmark movies have atmos in it, that’s about 80% of my movie watching. You mentioned vudu, its a really great service. Forgot I had an account there, I guess I was confusing it with hulu.

Seems you often “know a guy” for things - cool. There’s a time I have a like a 80-100w receiver and speakers in wooden boxes. You could feel the sound and hear it in stereo. To hear it around the house - volume! well even outside if you turned the speakers towards the window.

Now, I have a couple of echos and a few dots connected to speakers so I can hear music around the house. Either at just a “listening” level or rock’n out! But I don’t truly feel the noise. But I noticed there’s seldom any “stereo” sound replaced with enhanced.

Of course when I was a kid radios just had a speaker. Sound is ever changing.

Note: I only have Amazon device because I don’t really have conversations with myself (not to say I don’t talk to myself) and mostly just use them for music.

I’m trying your idea here, see if it makes things better overall when comparing it. Thanks.

I watched the Jack Reacher movie it was good. Great character. Sounded so good with my new yamaha sound system.

IMHO, first movie was better than the second YMMV.

Fantastic movie, I enjoyed both the original and the sequel.