What the deuce is this? NEW GEAR?

Yep!

1 Like

Because there isnā€™t a fan.

What fan? Tablo units donā€™t have fans.

Iā€™ve got multiple units that are over 2.5 years old. These go back to some of the original units that users use to complain about running too hot. Iā€™ve never had to do anything more then raise them up off of the underlying wood surface. And I live in a hotter part of the country.

Just donā€™t understand why companies shrink something and donā€™t change the guts or feature set (ok 64GB is different, big deal) and call it something new/great/wonderful/etc. (at least I didnā€™t see a spec sheet anywhere detailing that) And TWO tuners for the same price for FOUR tuners? Yeah, I know, the 64GB might be nice for some, but most will need more space and to disable the ability to use that 64GB you paid for once you connect a USB drive is nuts.

Hereā€™s hoping the upcoming Droid wonā€™t be so lame (yes, yes, IMHO)! :wink:

I can see myself owning this new gear for on the go portability but Tablo would have to work on local accessibility to view recorded videos until then Iā€™d waitā€¦

A possible ā€œretroā€ reason to help promote the new Tablo Dual.

It has not been so many years since my parents used to record-and-erase sitcoms over and over on the same 6-hour VHS tape, and were pleased as punch with that setup. A device that does the same thing but with an extended recording time plus HD recordings would be well received by customers like my parents.

Itā€™s all a matter of what you can be satisfied with and acclimate to (and afford, of course).

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly the market that Tablo DUAL is aimed at.

Moms & dads that are just starting to get down with this whole Roku (or Fire TV) thing and who want to be able to watch and record the news or NCIS without having to fork over their entire social security check to Comcast.

Or even folks that are decades younger, but are not as tech savvy as you guys. They just want to be able to unpack something and have it work and while avoiding forking over their kidsā€™ college fund to Comcast.

I have a two tuner Tablo. If I ever need an additional set of tuners, I would get the DUAL and assign lesser used channels to it without needing an external drive - to complement my existing Tablo (which has a 2 GB drive). This way one Tablo could also act as a backup for the other.

The new dual unit is currently selling at a $63 premium over the older 2-tuner unit, $250 versus $187.

It appears that both the new and old unit have: USB 2.0, WiFi N MiMo, 10/100 ethernet and 512MB of memory. The new unit is a little higher and deeper then the old unit. But the new unit is lighter and not as wide. The old unit had 1 GB of flash. The new unit has 64 GB of flash.

So what am I getting for my premium of $63. HD recording start at a recording rate of 720/3 Mbps. But even tablo suggests 720P/5 Mbps. Each recording has a 5 minute slop factor at the end. Thatā€™s a 16% overhead for a 30 minute show and 8% for a 30 minute show. I still donā€™t think I can get 40 hours of HD out of 64GB.

Then the Tablo DUAL should have had an HDMI output too :wink: Obe stop shop - very simple

Also the Tablo DUAL has an internal 1x2 splitter, while the OG Tablo with 2 tuners has an internal 1x4 splitter, so youā€™re getting better reception for a premium.

I own 2 2-tuner tablos already. So are you saying that if I replace both units with 2 new dual units on exactly the same antenna setup and then ran two channel scans simultaneously and then performed a second scan immediately after the first scan, the results would be the same.

If so, I too believe in the tooth fairy and unicorns.

So, what you are saying is that if I replace my current 2-tuner with a 4-tuner I should get the same signal strength and not need to mess with signal boosters and such?

From what Iā€™ve read here, the answer is ā€œnoā€. Would appear that there is more signal loss on the 4 tuner.

The discussion that has gone on since the start of the tablo product is that there is a built in splitter inside the product. Splitters cause signal loss.

This signal loss is the same for both the 2-tuner and 4-tuner models since the 2-tuner has a 4-way splitter.

For whatever reason, probably to maintain the cost commonality of the motherboard, the 2-tuner model was never re-engineered for a 2-way splitter.

So now the new dual model has a 2-way splitter and life is much better.

ā€œThen the Tablo DUAL should have had an HDMI output too :wink: Obe stop shop - very simpleā€

This is so very accurate, by putting HDMI output right on the box it would solve a LOT of issues for new users that the previous generation forced you to be too tech savvy for.

No need for a ā€˜goodā€™ network, only using the network for guide info, no extra hardwareā€¦

The problem with that is that you need more than just HDMI, you need some sort of control/UI smarts in there, so thatā€™s additional CPU load, application writing and maintenance and either a hardware controller or an app (realistically two, iOS and Android) to control that output. Basically a LOT more costs than the ones that appear at first glance.

Pretty sure we donā€™t know for sure if things are ā€œmuch betterā€ or not. Or do you have one of these already for comparison.

Send me one of the new 2-tuners at no cost to me and Iā€™ll tell you if I can see a difference between the old 2-tuner and the new 2-tuner. :wink:

In other words, you need a streamer box bundled with the Tablo. :wink:

I picked up a dual unit as a backup for my existing units while they were on sale at bestbuy. I currently only use the integrated flash.

You might want to expound on:

1. why on the old model the recommended recording quality is 720 - 5 Mbps while the dual is 720 - 3 Mbps.

2. I have only recorded one show which I deleted after watching. So there are no recorded shows and only 1 scheduled. Yet the internal flash has 58.77 GB but only 58.71 GB is available.

3. It appears that the flash free space scrubbing is not immediate. As an example, if you watch Live TV at 720 - 5 Mbps it appears that is uses 200-230 MBs of space - which is fine. But after you stop watching Live TV it may take over an hour or two before the space shows up as available.