What is the least problematic streaming device for Tablo?

No the load times for tuning a new live TV channel will not be as quick as the 1 sec in the sneak peak video. Hard wiring the playback device will speed things up but you’re still looking at around 10 seconds.

Yes, the load times for recordings and UI browsing will be almost identical to the Apple TV 4 (or faster) on a hardwired Shield. Load times for Live TV, as @theuser86 mentioned, will be almost identical as well. They were slightly sneaky with their pre-buffered live TV demonstration at CES. I can’t speak to the Fire TV, but the Shield is the most powerful streaming device currently on the market, so it makes sense that it would be the fastest (and the most expensive).

ok. So I read through this thread and it has me a little nervous. On my main TV I’m arr playing to AppleTv4. For my 2nd TV I was going to take advantage of a SlingTV promotion. Essentially I can get a free Roku 2, or get a Roku 3 50% off. I was 90% sure I would just take the free hardware for the 2nd room, but it sounds like I may regret that decision?

If tablo will be 50% of my use on it, what is the best value?
Roku 2 Free
Roku 3 $50
Roku 4 $125

Not to be flippant, but your best value is the Nexus Player. I had months of aggravation with my wired Roku 3’s. Every problem disappeared when I moved to the NP.

I know that the Roku issues have at last abated, but, I am keeping both the Roku 3’s and the NP’s hooked up to every TV. I am not going to get caught again the next time an update borks the Roku device or the NP device. I will just move to the working device (since hopefully both devices won’t be fubar’d at once).

3 Likes

The new Roku 2 Model 4210 and Roku 3 Model 4230 are the exact same internal hardware as the old Roku 3 Model 4200. I would go with the free Roku 2 as long as it is not the old Roku 2 Model 2720.

I have a Roku 3 Model 4200 which works well with the Tablo.

1 Like

Out of that list, Roku 2 is your best bang for the buck. The newest Roku 2 and 3 are the same processor so you wont notice any speed difference…

If you want a wifi remote (hide the roku in a cabinet or behind the TV) and/ or want voice search or the headphone jack in the remote, then go Roku 3 as that’s all it adds over the 2…

The Roku 4 IS faster but for most it is overkill, if you dont need the optical out or have a 4K TV, its really not NEEDED. Obviously the Roku 4 would be the most future proof as well (if that matters to you).

Personally, I like having the latest greatest version, and I needed the optical out so I did pick up a couple 4s. At the time the price difference was $25 and it WAS worth it for me then. At $75 difference, even I would find it hard to go above the 3.

And dont let this thread scare you off, there are hundreds, if not thousands of us with many Rokus with no trouble with Tablo at all. 9 Months of use, Multiple Roku 3s and 4s, no problems. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a “loading please wait” message.

2 Likes

I guarantee whatever you consider to be no trouble would be surpassed on an Android TV device in your exact same network configuration.

2 Likes

You may be correct, but then I lose other features and functions I prefer the Roku for. From Amazon Prime, to the Wifi remote with headphones.

I can think of only 4 times where I received the LPW screen and each time it was for less than 5 seconds. That’s across 8 Roku’s in 9 months. That’s it, otherwise absolutely flawless. Even if it was triple that or more, The Roku is the best option for me.

I do not deny that many have had problems, but what is rarely shown is that many do not. Tablo has said that the high majority use Roku and those without issue are not as likely to search out forums and speak up.

Fair enough, I’m glad you have had better experiences than others.

Just FYI, the Shield has Wifi remotes with headphones.

Thanks for that, I did not know that. I have actually looked at the Shield many times, no idea how I missed it!

Oh well, still no Amazon, If it just had Amazon I would already have one. I am intrigued with trying out the gaming aspects of it and have always been a huge Nvidia supporter from early on in my PC building days…

I realize I could keep the Roku AND the shield and I may one day do that but the TV I would use it on, only has one HDMI and I don’t want to screw with an HDMI splitter. Besides, since I cut the cord, I really like only having to use a single system for everything.

Wow lots of great input here. Thank you all. Sounds like 1st step is to see what actual model I’d be getting. The cynic in me thinks SlingTV may be selling old stock.

I will look into the Shield, but to be honest having the living room TV (where the wife and guests watch the most tv) have every service including Amazon was a big draw for the Roku. I can get away with more complexity in the home theater.

FWIW, my set up would require the roku/shield to be wireless even though my tablo and appletv are wired. I assume that impacts performance, but will all devices suffer equally, or do some excel at wireless better than others?

I have tried to read the thread here and reviews all over the web, but everything is all over the place - I can’t make heads or tails of it, and I consider myself pretty tech savvy . . .

1 Like

I kept my Roku 3 in the same spot as my Shield, both wireless. Both worked great wireless, but the Shield loads all streams faster - possibly due to the processor, underlying OS, or app development instead of the wifi components. I wouldn’t worry too much about the wireless aspect as long as you have a solid router, unless you have very weak coverage in that area, which can be solved with Wifi extenders or Powerline adapters. Before I upgraded my router, I had serious issues over Wifi, especially with Tablo.

1 Like

They actually now offer 50% off Fire TV too.

More of an FYI, I don’t think I’m interested in the Fire over my other options.

1 Like

All but one of my Rokus are wireless (Tablo is wired), again, no problems. BUT, My main router is only about a year old and I utilize a couple wireless access points for the far ends of my property. I also live in an area where I have virtually no other Wifi interference.

I have often wondered if some of those with Roku Wifi issues might be due to local interference. At the far edge of my property I can just barely pick up one neighbors WiFi signal, so I checked which channel his was on and forced mine to stay off it…

In other words, I have a VERY solid WiFi system. If yours is solid, should be fine, if not, Powerline adapters are a great option.

For others who may be interested, SlingTV have confirmed the Rokus are the new models. The Roku 2 for example is the 4210.

I just got a new modem and router - both performing very well, and the Roku/shield will be in the same room, so I won’t stress out about the wireless part.

3 Likes

I use an HDMI splitter. Cheap and effective. No hassle

Nexus Player which is an Android TV box is what several of us got when we got tired of the Roku problems. They were $50 and you still might be able to find it at that price. It ia Nexus, which means it is Android the why it was developed without anyone’s “enhancements”.