What can I expect for OTA wireless distribution?

Just ran on my iPhone here in office and getting 78 Mbps down and 17.8 up. Any idea when the notification of 0.8.300 & 0.8.401 was issued? It will be interesting to see if it irons out some of the glitches people are experiencing.

That should be fast enough for at least two or three streams from the Tablo.

0.8.300 was released around December 10 and quickly backed out. 0.8.401 was released around January 2. It fixed some issues but not all.

1 Like

I wonder if they coded 0.8.401 with Roku 12.5.5 in mind. Who knows what OS they had access to at the app’s release.

Great information - thanks again! I’m going to hold off for a while on the Gen 4, and watch and see what further developments happen. Am I understanding it correctly that the Legacy Dual Lite model has a good record with network distribution? Realizing that this is an obsolete device, does Tablo still provide support for it? Have they indicated that they will no longer support it with future updates, etc.? Is there a separate Tablo App for this device vs. Gen 4, or does the same App cover both?

My barn Roku TV updated to 12.5.5 on 1/24. Haven’t checked any of my other TVs or STBs, but they’re all set for automatic updates so guessing they are too.

2 separate apps gen4 is white. The dual lite I got 2 years ago has worked problem free with my Roku 3930’s. Just had to enable surround sound shortly after buying, had the squeaky audio thing with it not.

Interesting! Just for clarification, do you enable that within the Tablo app? Only my main Roku TV is surround sound capable, and that is through a digital audio feed to a soundbar. Will the other Roku TVs and STBs work OK with surround sound enabled even though audio will be via either internal speakers or output via A/V? Or, do you mean that surround sound has to be enabled within each Roku device - assuming that’s an option?

It’s a Tablo setting, I think it just passes it. No big deal when I first received the Tablo had the squeaking a couple of times came here saw posts about it, enabled it never happened again. Have since seen many more posts as soon as posters changed it gone for good for them too. I only use TV for audio.

OK, great! I’m leaning more and more towards the Dual Lite. DVR operation isn’t a big issue for me, although I could still add an external HD if i see a future need. It looks like the Dual Lite is still available from Tablo, as well as from several other sources. Do you know what Tablo’s intentions are regarding future support for the Dual Lite - it looks like they’re pressing forward with Gen 4? Wonder if they’ve stopped any continuing engineering on it, or if they will continue issuing FW updates? Have they made any public statements regarding the issue? Thanks again!

I’m sure they will support for quite awhile a lot out there. If I remember you have to have a drive for the lites to work, like I said enclosure is only $20 drive not much. Tablo DUAL LITE Quick Start Guide – Tablo (tablotv.com)Setting up your Network-Connected Tablo DVR – Tablo (tablotv.com)

How to Enjoy 5.1 Surround Sound from Tablo – Tablo (tablotv.com)

The only additional work that has been announced is a firmware update that will allow the Legacy units to work with the new Gen 4 applications and provide the free guide data. See the following article.

1 Like

That’s great to know - thank you!

I reviewed both of the guides, and they seem fairly straight-forward - maybe one or two questions but feel the answers would be revealed once I actually install a unit. Thank you for passing those along. I do have a couple generic questions that maybe you can answer. For my primary Roku TV that is currently connected to the antenna, would you recommend, or not, installing a splitter and spitting the antenna signal between the TV and the Tablo? As it is now, my Roku UI shows the OTA channels and guide under "Live TV’, and at least at this time, I’m not looking for the DVR function. All of the other TV’s would be networked via WiFi. Second, what can I expect on the networked TV’s - would Tablo simply show up as another option in the home screen of my Roku UI - similar to Sling, Prime, YouTube, etc.?

That depends on the quality and strength of your antenna signal. If your current signal is borderline, then splitting the signal probably won’t work without using a amplifier/splitter. If you have a strong signal with good s/n ratio then you should be able to split your signal hopefully with no ill results.

The answer is yes, you just need to be sure to install the correct app for the Tablo version you purchase (Legacy or Gen 4).

OK on the second question, and thanks for the info. The first question now brings up an interesting thought. Because I am around 50 miles from the broadcast antennas, I am using a rooftop antenna with a built-in pre-amp, that requires a power inserter in the coax run. Signal strength varies from station-to-station, and time of year - vegetation growth, etc. Can I assume the power inserter won’t present any issues with the Tablo unit - just as long sufficient signal is reaching it?

Short answer is the power inserter shouldn’t cause any problems with your Tablo.

The long answer is. I have an antenna mounted on an antenna mast approximately 35’ above ground level. My antenna also has a built-in preamp and I’m approximately 20 to 25 miles from my local stations. I take the signal from my antenna and run it through a distribution amplifier to distribute throughout my house (2 Tablos and 7 TVs). Normally I have a fairly good signal, but my reception is very susceptible to atmospheric conditions and I have days when everything records perfectly and days when half of my recordings have areas of pixelation. In fact, prior to the local stations doing a repack to make room for the ATSC 3.0 transmitters I very seldom had any issues with reception. After the repack, I have a lot of problems. I’m hoping that once they have ATSC 3.0 dvr’s consistently working with DRM that I can get back to high quality recordings.

After reading up on everything I can, I’m back to second-guessing the Dual Lite. It does require an external HD, which pushes the total cost up to 50% more than the Gen4. It recommends a 1 - 8TB drive, but since I’m not planning to do much, if any, recording, I’m wondering if I need even that much. I do have a 20GB portable USB drive if I thought the Dual Lite would accept something that small. Even a full-size internal drive, with an external enclosure, runs about the same as a 1TB external drive. Starting to think my best bet may be to hang loose until Tablo works out their compatibility issues with Gen4-Roku. I’m guessing they’re trying to work out the bugs as quickly as they can, but right now, Gen4 seems like a non-starter.

WL 1TB 64MB Cache SATA III (6.0Gb/s) 3.5" Hard Drive -PC/CCTV DVR FREE SHIPPING | eBay

Based on your use case, seems like the Gen 4 may meet your needs, but as you say, in good conscience I couldn’t recommend it at the moment until they get some of the bigger issues addressed.