Website Requesting Disc Space

All my  i devices work now.   I needed to allow third party cookies to get database to load.    

@RobertEldo Glad you got this working :slight_smile:

Trying to access my.tablotv.com using Safari on my Macbook running OS X 10.9.4…

First, I had to enable third party cookies. Guys, that sucks because I have to enable that setting globally and that is not something I want to do.

Second, I get repeated requests for 5 MB of data storage. Clicking Allow never stops it. It renders this application unusable.

@vgrund - Would you look 10 messages up in this thread for instructions from @matb33 on how to view the console log? Getting that info might help him kill this bug.

@RobertEldo @vgrund unfortunately browsers often lump client-side databases with the setting for cookies (example right out of Chrome: “Cookies and other site and plug-in data” includes cookies AND client-side databases…)

Also, when the browser is asking for more space, it decides when and how much. I simply attempt to run a transaction, and I watch for particular errors (and retry the transaction every 5 seconds if the error is code 4, as I have zero control over that disk usage prompt… ahhh modern web development…)

I have a full console log available, but I think the salient part is at the end:

Log] sync/seed 11897 28715 true (5109f9a0739cc1c721ee83cddd2709a462cf4af7.js, line 17)
[Log] [ guideDownloadProgress ] (5109f9a0739cc1c721ee83cddd2709a462cf4af7.js, line 16)
Object

[Log] sync/seed result: 28715 11897 12183 250 (5109f9a0739cc1c721ee83cddd2709a462cf4af7.js, line 17)
Object

[Warning] WebSQL QUOTA_ERR 4, will retry in 5000 (5109f9a0739cc1c721ee83cddd2709a462cf4af7.js, line 14)
SQLError
undefined
[Log] [ guideDownloadProgress ] (5109f9a0739cc1c721ee83cddd2709a462cf4af7.js, line 16)
Object

[Warning] WebSQL QUOTA_ERR 4, will retry in 5000 (5109f9a0739cc1c721ee83cddd2709a462cf4af7.js, line 14)
SQLError
undefined

The quota error is a result of me clicking “Allow” on the request for storage. It never ends once it starts, looping through those errors repeatedly as I click.

@vgrund I get the same thing on my Mac but it is 10MB… Which is why I use Chrome to view on my Mac. I never have had issues with that browser.

@vgrund looks right though. QUOTA_ERR 4 is what I have to work with. So long as that is the error after a transaction, I keep retrying the transaction every 5 seconds until it succeeds. I have zero way to know if the user clicked Allow :frowning:

Do you happen to be running in Private Browsing mode? It doesn’t sound like it since you’ve at least got a database… but asking just in case

No, I am not using Private Browsing

HI @vgrund, it’s important to remember that right now, we only officially support Chrome. So you may be able to avoid some of this hassle if you tried that instead of Safari. Thanks @matb33 for trying to help out with Safari, though!

And it does work in Chrome for me, FWIW.

I keep getting the message stating that it needs 10MB on my iPhone 6 through safari. So I downloaded chrome and it works. However, this is not the solution I want as I am not a chrome user and you can’t save it to the home screen on the iPhone. Any advice?

Settings>Safari>Advanced>WebsiteData>Edit

Delete the my.tablotv.com entry.

That always clears the disk space request loop for me–and Tablo tests by clearing the data–so it is very likely to work for you.

Tablo web app (sync) copies a lot of picture data to the client.  I think if you remove the cached data, it will likely just regrab it all again (?)

I’m advising the guy how to work around this bug. Of course it will download the data again. However, when it does, it won’t get stuck in the loop of asking over and over again for the same amount of space.

@jkline, thanks… no problem then…

I tried the suggestion above. No luck.

If that didn’t work, you’ll need to file a ticket. Tablo Support will respond by asking you to supply logs from your browser (and will tell you how to generate them).

I’ve never seen this problem survive clearing the data, so perhaps your logs will show something new that might lead to a fix.

BTW, I am comparing apples to apples here as I also have an iPhone 6.

@nealberg This looks like it’s a bug in iOS 8. Can you try the Chrome mobile browser in the meantime?

Here’s how I solved this problem. 

Initially started the sync from within Safari 7.0.6 on Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.4). It kept asking me to Allow this website to store data on my disk and that the max was 5MB. It would always ask twice. Never did the max increase as others have said here. 

I found this (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4144229?start=0&tstart=0) where a dude named Gergo Erdosi suggests to increase the max database size in Safari via the Terminal.

In Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DefaultDatabaseQuota 11000000
</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">This increases the HTML 5 DB support to a max of 11MB.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">This worked for me but I had to do 2 things first:</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">1) Had to delete the pre-existing DB for tablotv.com. The Terminal DB size change had no effect until I forced the sync to restart from scratch.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><ol><li><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">Click Safari, then Preferences.</span></li><li><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">Click Privacy, then click the Details button.</span></li><li><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">Type "tablo" in the search field to find the entry for "tablotv.com".</span></li><li><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">Choose it then click Remove.</span></li></ol></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">2) Restart Safari, then visit "my.tablotv.com".&nbsp;</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">Bingo! The sync operation asked me once about the DB size (was at 11MB), then a second time about mid-way through the sync. Total sync time was about 5 minutes.&nbsp;</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">Beautiful.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div>