Wait for ATV Tablo app or goto TiVo Roamio w/Lifetime subscription

I never said you should have to; nevertheless, you do have to. Channel surfing on the Tablo is a ridiculous experience.

1 Like

It was not intended to be a live TV streamer.

F[quote=ā€œtheuser86, post:22, topic:7389, full:trueā€]
It was not intended to be a live TV streamer.
[/quote]

I believe you are correct. The experience strongly argues for your position. Having said that, itā€™s is hard to say the criticism is unfair as the Tablo home page states:

ā€œA Whole-Home-DVR, Tablo lets you stream live and recorded OTA HDTV contentā€¦ā€

Getting back to the bigger picture, for about $75, one can fix this issue ($25 app, $50 used HDHomerun Dual). Add $40 to substitute a new HDHomerun Connect.

EDIT: Oops! Forgot to mention, this only applies if you already own a new Apple TV.

Comes down to priorities. Tablo is a DVR first and a very good one at that. Like many here that is my primary interest. I record virtually everything I intend to watch and those that I may only want to view in part. I have no buffer issues with recordings.

Waitā€¦what?? I have to throw more hardware into the mix just to do what I expected it to do? If I was going to buy HDHomerun Tuners I would have coupled it with Emby on my NAS. I really didnā€™t want to get in to all that. I was just looking for a product that could replace my current Dish equipment. If EchoStar made an OTA Hopper with a lifetime guide at a reasonable price Iā€™d consider buying one of those. Iā€™m sure there would probably be a hefty price tag on it but you get what you pay for.

Did you miss the part of my post where I said the following?

Having said that, itā€™s is hard to say the criticism is unfair as the Tablo home page states: ā€œA Whole-Home-DVR, Tablo lets you stream live and recorded OTA HDTV contentā€¦ā€

Nope. I got it. Just disappointed in the experience I guess. I probably should have waited but the geek in me had to try this thing out. If I knew that they were going to continue improving on the live experience I would probably hang in there but what will probably happen is I will move on to TiVo or something else and this will just hang on my wire as a secondary device or get forgotten.

1 Like

Roviā€™s base is acquisitions and litigation based on patent infringements. Neither bode well for the future development of TiVo. Another corporate marriage from hell.

1 Like

Thereā€™s still the Magnivox due out Q4 or earlier if weā€™re lucky.

Canā€™t see what they have to offer that isnā€™t already available from Channel Master for less $$.
Produced by Funai. Best known for second rate hardware.

Spunky 03:
Considered Tivo support?

Last review i heard about the TiVo Amazon app was ā€œwell, now it usableā€

Glowing

Does TiVo have remote capability?

6 tuners and stream live or recorded content to iOS and Android. Ability to download recorded content to mobile devices. I try not to knock anything unless Iā€™ve actually tried it. Be tried the Tablo now so itā€™s fair game.

They have 3 models from 2 tuners to 6 with sharply escalating prices along the way starting at over $400 on up to $600 if I recall correctly.
With Funai as the producer I wouldnā€™t bet too heavily on the functionality.

That seems to be the going rate for a for a DVR. Sooner or later someone is going to offer a solid hardware device. It doesnā€™t cost anything to try it for 30 days and with Amazon Prime itā€™s a no brainer. I went past my 30 with Tablo because I needed more time to evaluate. There is some functionality I do like in the Tablo though so Iā€™ll keep it for now.

Foxvalleyal.

Happy to have you lead the way and let us know :). Give it a good workout. Iā€™m leaning more towards TiVo if I decide to make a change.

I donā€™t get the desire to channel surf. Unlike many here, I do use the Tablo to watch live TV. Rather than flip through the channels, I read the guide and select what I want to watch. It really isnā€™t that difficult.

4 Likes

What are support hours? Tabloid is 9:30 am - 5:30 pm Monday- Fri. Iā€™m lucky I have every other Friday off. Facing support on Saturday and/or late one or two nights a week will be nice.

Iā€™ve been successful calling during break or lunch. It looks like the Galaxy S7 problem is going to drag on for months. At least now Sprint S7 has joined T-mobile S7.

Iā€™m one of those people who practically lives in the Guide which my wife hates. Still, sheā€™s the one sitting next to me asking ā€œwho is that Actress?ā€. Having to back out of the stream just to check the cast is a real turn off as opposed to pushing a button and having it come up in a window on the TV screen.