Volume of recordings

The recordings on Tablo need the TV volume to be louder than the rest of the channels on the Roku. Is it possible to increase the volume it is recorded at?

1 Like

This has been requested before, I agree it is a bit low.

2 Likes

I hope they do this or just leave the AC3 audio untouched.

We don’t really tweak the volume at all - that’s the volume it’s being broadcast at.

It’s possible that the volume on the recordings for other things are mastered a bit louder.

Yes , I also agree !

I think your conversion from AC3 to stereo is affecting the volume.

3 Likes

I’ve worked a long career in professional audio. All things being equal (Yes, I understand there’s many things about playback platforms which aren’t equal.) but I can assure you from someone with pretty dang good ears, Tablo audio playback is noticeably lower than most every other playback device in my environment.

Most disturbing when compared to audio rendered on HDTV directly from antennae input.

As Phil mentioned and I agree, the conversion to stereo is probably what we’re detecting.

Shrug-off the observations if you must but that doesn’t change the fact some of us do KNOW when levels differ.

1 Like

It is definitely lower and as part of Tablo Exporter I actually add some volume to the exports because of this :wink:

3 Likes

@TabloTV conduct an in house experiment - watch with antenna connected directly to HDTV then watch using Roku 3 (or anything really) and watch live using Tablo and THEN tell us the sound levels are the SAME! NOT!

Please increase the volume so watching on Tablo is the same volume as watching live via antenna directly to HDTV.

3 Likes

I can vouch for it as well. I’ve been using the same receiver for several years, and since using the Tablo I’ve had to raise the sound level about 3dB from what I’ve always used. That may not be a lot, but it was significant to my ears.

2 Likes

enyapeoj says he has good ears and knows the volume is lower. Well, I have pretty dang bad ears, and I really notice it as well. I need the volume elevated, and miss it when I go to the Tablo.

2 Likes

It is entirely possible that when using the ATSC tuner on your HDTV that it decodes the AC3 audio louder than when say a Roku decodes the AAC audio. However, at the same volume level on the same TV, the direct stream from the antenna is definitely louder than when playing back on the Roku / Fire TV.

Other channels are typically louder as well, on the same device.

1 Like

@philsoft

Well Tablo said the reason for that is things can be mastered differently. I am comparing the same source content.

OK, but that doesn’t matter to me. The only thing that matters to most end users is that volume be equalized across the channels. I (and I suspect many others) do not enjoy adjusting the volume for ONE channel when all of the others manage to have some equilibrium.

2 Likes

@beastman described it exactly. Switching from an OTA signal to the Tablo Live TV signal results in SIGNIFICANTLY reduced sound volume when playing through the Tablo.

1 Like

I am in the process of transferring my Tablo content to my PLEX server. Using Tablo Ripper (absolutely a great program by CycleCJ BTW) and in the process of cutting commercials out automatically (Comskip), as well as automatically moving converted titles to my PLEX server, as well increasing volume and a handful of other niceties (MCEBuddy. I know this sounds to many like pie-in-the-sky dreaming, but it’s a reality. Takes 4 programs in total and only 2 of them cost like $50 or so for the donated versions.

If your interested, head over to CycleCJ’s “Tablo Ripper Thread” and take a few minutes to see what it’s all about.

Here’s a link: Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

-Rodger

1 Like

How do I keep my plex server running? It works on lte when I leave home and a little later not connected

I’d guess your need to go to high performance in power settings on your computer you have PLEX running in. If it’s a Windows box, then go to change power plan settings and select never put computer to sleep. In Linux change power settings to not suspend. I’m only a QNap sever now, so I think I remember doing this back when PLEX was on my PC.

Thanks - I have the screen blank out, but do NOT put the computer to sleep. Plex server thanks you!

1 Like