Video splitting and flipping

Just chiming in as I was one of the posters on the other thread. The ‘engineer’ is clueless, doubtful he is very good at his job. I had exactly the same problem (direct to the TV was fine, Tablo did as you say) in Phoenix when the CBS channel fiddled with their main channel. Tablo did contact them and they worked out the issue, so it’s well worth submitting a ticket and getting Tablo the info they need to work this out. Good luck.

1 Like

I already got my money back. I had gotten the two year warranty for my Tablo. Maybe Sal would like to submit a ticket.
The thing is how can a $34 tuner work flawlessly and the $150 Tablo doesn’t. I was looking at my ROKU TV in the bedroom and it has live recording. I just connected a drive to it and I can pause the OTA broadcast. I can also fast forward and rewind perfectly! It’s a Hitachi TV.
How can three low priced tuners outperform the high priced Tablo? There are so many variables in OTA signals with stations being low powered, one station being further or closer, and signal not being perfect. Why wasn’t the Tablo designed to work with these variables? I have an old 19” Insignia that cost me $79 in the spare room that also works flawlessly on all channels. So why wasn’t the Tablo designed with a tuner that would work like the Ematic , Insignia, and the Hitach TV?

This was answered previously. The ‘dumb’ unit isn’t transcoding the video, so it never looks at those data fields. The Tablo is, so it’s depending on those data fields being correct. The station is using the wrong data in their encoding equipment, but they won’t notice until someone shows them they’re wrong. The Tablo team knows the right buzz words to tell them to get them to pay attention.

2 Likes

I submitted a ticket and it’s been 2 weeks and I still have 2 channels that are not working

Has Tablo support provided any updates? They can’t force a station to fix their equipment, but they seem to have pretty good success so far.

They just said they are investigating this issue to see what can be done, but that was 2 weeks ago

Sorry to hear that you still have the same problem Sal. My Tablo had the same problems with channels 8-1 and 13-1.
My Ematic is working like a champ. It has a beautiful picture and hasn’t missed a recording. The menu takes a little getting used to because you have to do everything with the remote, but it works! I bought another Ematic for the bedroom and it also works fantastic, dumb tuner and all! Hahaha! Now my wife can watch her shows on one TV and I can watch my shows on the other Ematic, all for just $80!
One thing I would recommend is getting a USB extension cable if you’re using a pen drive. Pen drives get hot and will transfer the heat through the metal USB connector into the converter.

@Sal and @Marky - We heard back from the team at KGNS & KYLX. They did some recent work on an encoder that didn’t go as well as expected but made some changes yesterday afternoon. Are things looking better now?

2 Likes

Kgns is working a little bit better, but gets pixilated at times and I’m still having the same Issue with KYLX

The pixelation could just be that you need to tweak your antenna a bit… It’s the screen split/flip that really characterize this particular issue. Are you no longer seeing that?

If you’re still seeing the split/flip on KYLX it seems like there’s still some work to do.

@Sal How are things looking? Still seeing the splitting/flipping on KYLX?