Using iPad and Android Tablets

Can you have the app on both and be able to either one?  And I assume the app is also used to control the Roku 3?

Yes, there is an iPad app and an Android tablet app.  You can use either one, both, or neither.  Think of the Tablo as a server and the tablets, computers, phones, and TV-connected devices as clients.

The Roku 3 is controlled by its own remote control.  The main limitation is that you can’t set up a Tablo or update a Tablo’s firmware using just a Roku, but you can do about everything else with just a Roku remote.

Thanks for the quick reply.  So I can use the tablet app with the Roku?

I don’t think you can use the tablet to control the Roku, but you can certainly use both in your home, even at the same time.

The tablet and web apps are the best way to set up recordings and search for shows.  They are the only way to control the settings of the Tablo (like changing resolution, scan for channels on the antenna, see hard drive usage, etc).

The Roku is great for watching live and recorded shows on your TV.  You can set up recordings and delete recordings using it, but it is a little more difficult.

OK, I can work with that.  The WAF is important to me (wife approval factor). She struggled using Windows Media Center previously.

Probably the toughest thing to get used to is changing channels.  There is a 15-20 second delay when you first tune to a channel.  Once a channel is tuned, it only takes a second to switch, so you could get four channels tuned and switch quickly among them.  

The Roku at the moment (future releases should be much better) requires a user to exit out of live tv to switch channels.  

If you and your family can handle that, you will likely really enjoy the Tablo.  

Shouldn’t be a big problem.  We rarely watch live TV anymore. 

Can you have the app on both and be able to either one?  And I assume the app is also used to control the Roku 3?

Roku has it’s own app available for it so that you can also control it from a tablet.

Forgot link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roku.remote&hl=en

You tube and Netflix can control the Roku by sending their video via the Chromecast button to your Roku… The Tablo app cannot.

You would launch the Roku app on your tablet then load the Tablo channel and begin controlling it… Which you can do from a phone… A real big plus over present Tablo phone based options.

A feature request has been suggested for the Tablo apps to support Roku as a Chromecast destination. Vote for it someday.

You tube and Netflix can control the Roku by sending their video via the Chromecast button to your Roku... The Tablo app cannot.

You would launch the Roku app on your tablet then load the Tablo channel and begin controlling it… Which you can do from a phone… A real big plus over present Tablo phone based options.

A feature request has been suggested for the Tablo apps to support Roku as a Chromecast destination. Vote for it someday.

I’m not sure I follow but I just set Tablo up so will have to experiment. 

Roku has it's own app available for it so that you can also control it from a tablet.

Great app. I just installed it on my phone.  Many thanks!

I'm not sure I follow but I just set Tablo up so will have to experiment. 

:slight_smile: fair enough. Tablo does give lots of connectivity options, not all of which are seamless… presently. And all of us want more and better… faster.

You mentioned the WAF and for that I would recommend KISS… sticking with the Tablo tablet apps for tablet playback, show scheduling, and show cleanup… and either the physical Roku remote control or Roku remote control app for all TV based video playback.  Chromecast and Tablo are a poor combination during this firmware release and will not lead to WAF… rather WCF. (wife cursing factor). 

But play around with it all and follow the Tablo releases to see the things that are changing.

Right. Thanks Thumbs. That’s the way we have it set up now. Tablo on her iPad and Mac desktop. It does seem clean and simple.