Undelete a deleted recording

+1 here please add Undelete

1 Like

Of course the possibility exsist! As mentioned, recordings aren’t just a single file to recover, or even just the segments.

Once your reclaim all disk data then you need a reference for it… the DB info is stored internally. Not just it’s name, an episode for example, season number and everything about the entire series is interlinked, so you need to know how it fits in.

All of this is theoretically possible. I suspect it’s more overhead than tablo wants to invest while looking forward.

Nevertheless keep requesting, someday they may hear!

1 Like

I turn on auto-delete. And some user also mark episodes as protected. Many users have large disk drives. So why would tablo try to limit the number episodes or amount of data a program has used. Tablo is in the dvr business, which I suspect means recording OTA. It’s not a library system like Plex.

How hard can it be to every 5-10 days go into the settings page and read how much space is used/available. At some point the big bright light bulb comes on and indicates that a user has more recordings then they could possibly view in the rest of their lifetime.

I love the flexibility that this platform provides! It’s cool to see how much enjoyment it brings to others, and it doesn’t dictate a certain way of doing things.

I think in some ways all of this does kind of hinder how the developers move forward…but you’re right, it doesn’t try to be the “ultimate” feature-rich platform, but it does offer a large enough subset of possibilities that it can at times be frustrating.

It’s this awkward positioning (too much for a super casual user, not enough for the most demanding) that may make or break it in the end. Oh well, I’m off to watch some shows!

Actually this certainly does not involve messing with disk blocks, and probably does not involve even using directories and “mv”.
What can happen when you delete a recording is that it is simply marked as deleted in the database. All things that display lists of recordings don’t show it, except a “trash” list that shows only these.
In addition when the disk fills up, the oldest deleted recordings are thrown away first. Only when there are no deleted recordings are the auto-delete recordings thrown away.
When viewing the “trash” list the user can undelete any item. I think it would also be nice if the user can play the item normally, sometimes you want to look at it to decide if you want to undelete it.

2 Likes

“a recording” involves more than a file or even just a single directory. removing it from the DB and leaving it intact on the drive, allowing for “undeleting” could be possible, but it doesn’t seem to be the direction tablo want to go :frowning:

What I meant is that it does not remove it from the DB. Instead the DB entry is marked as being “deleted”. All other things that make it look like the recording does not exist are part of the user interface that is reading this DB.

Is the Recordings DB on disk or in Flash?

If it’s in flash and you are only marking the DB as deleted what happens if a user migrates the disk to a new tablo

Doesn’t the backed-up DB and configuration settings get moved if you follow this process?

How would a user truly move, that is migrate, your recording without any information to reference them?

I would also like this feature, because TABLO sometimes gets it’s pointer wrong and points to the wrong file and PRESTO…IT IS GONE.

DAN

I, too, would greatly appreciate an “undelete” option. I know there’s already an “Are you sure?” in the sequence, but I’ve accidentally clicked “yes” on a “Delete All” when I thought I was just deleting one episode a couple of times. Even only keeping deleted items recoverable for a brief time (maybe 24- 48 hours?) Would be a lot of help.

This feature would be a great, and in 2021, an expected feature of any storage system. We just deleted the wrong show (the UX could also be improved).

Yes. just mark the db entry as deleted and clean up (actually delete) after x number of days.

Only if it’s an option. tablo still sells a dual128 and I own a dual64. When I delete I want it gone. There is no need to depend of a auto-delete option. My fingers can do the walking and hit the delete button and really mean it.

I am on a long business trip out of the country and my wife accidentally deleted all for a few seasons of shows I was watching. Now I have nothing to watch. If I was home I would remove the drive and connect it to my Ubuntu machine and rebuild the files I could. We need an un-delete button NOW!

3 Likes

Sure but that wouldn’t have restored the DB data stored on the tablo needed to reference them. You may have been able to export some of them but not watch via tablo.

Rats!!! I did it again! Deleted an episode I should have kept!

I REALLY, REALLY want some sort of recovery capability for my Tablo! I’m using less than half the capacity of the drive attached to my Tablo - so there’s plenty of space left to hold everything I “Delete” for at least a day or two to give us an opportunity to “undo” a delete! PLEASE, PLEASE add something to “Undo” inadvertent deletes!

3 Likes

This one has been on the requested list for years… And like many people here, I am frustrated when accidentally deleting a show. I did it again this morning - and yes, I’m in trouble now :slight_smile:

This feels like it wouldn’t be a big issue, if no other recordings have been made - just an instant ‘undo’ button would be great. I wonder if there is a proposed feature list that can tell us whether an idea is actively being considered?

1 Like

I would assume that if you can undelete a file it mustbe taking up space somewhere. And for those users who have small disks or dual 64GB, or dual 128GB units or people who don’t make that mistake this is probably not a desirable feature.

I run Tablo Ripper, so if I accidentally delete an episode, I can always go back to my desktop PC and watch it. This is not ideal but I make do with what options we have now. It would super helpful, however, to have “undo delete” on the Tablo.

Although they frequently tell users something is on their “road map”, or something they are working on. That’s about it. One point, this post suggest there may be a list kept as a trade secret.

Sure, but recordings aren’t stored as a single file. Not even a couple of entries, and the guide data to reference the recording files is stored in a DB internally on the tablo. So two different locations for data and several directories with lots of files to accumulate a single recording.

Not suggesting it’s too much for specialized developers to work out, just it’s not so straight forward.