Typical problems solved

I just wanted to relate my experience with others in case it might help. I’m a retired EE with a background in RF (radio frequency) design/manufacturing, modems, networking, ethernet, gigabit based systems etc. I have a relatively new TABLO QUAD, with two principal TV’s: One nearby using a firestick and the other 50 ft away, which is a ROKU TV. Both now connected via ethernet. The router is also new (typical TP LINK 2.4/5G type), and has an extensive network monitoring capability. The antenna is likewise a typical rooftop
unit, carefully aimed and which now has a 2nd LNA (low noise amplifier) installed in line with the one which came with the antenna.
I initially had the ROKU TV connected via WIFI and did not have the additional LNA. There were three problems at that time: Occasional stuttering on the nearby TV, not considered serious as it is a minimal issue and still exists. I’ve experimented briefly with TABLO’s recommended settings to fix it with no change, but have not done so recently as there’s really no need to pursue it.
The next problem was frequent disconnect on the ROKU TV and finally marginal signal strength on some channels, resulting in the usual picture “breakup”.
Without going into the details of my testing/experimentation, discussion with TABLO, their attempt to fix things etc., here’s the final outcome and some simple recommendations:
* All problems gone, other than the minimal stuttering issue. The use of ethernet for both TV’s and the addition of the 2nd LNA took care of everything.
* Be sure to cover all the basics first: TV’s/router working correctly, relative locations OK, good antenna installations, carefully following all recommendations.
* Ethernet is far better than WIFI, no comparison.
* Marginal signal issues can typically be corrected by improving the signal path. For example, it may be advantageous to move the antenna from the attic to the rooftop and aimed very carefully in the desired direction. In my case, using a QUAD, the signal strength had to be improved a little, which was solved by the addition of the 2nd LNA, which is just a Winegard unit identical to the one which came with my particular antenna and is powered by the TABLO’s USB port. It’s very low current and doesn’t strain the TABLO.
While these recommendations may not address your particular problem, they may provide a good starting point.

Good info. Moving things off WiFi is usually a big help with disconnect and other issues. A lot of things from interference to an underpowered router can affect WiFi performance.

From worst to best configurations.

Tablo WiFi - Streamer WiFi (Worst)
Tablo WiFi - Streamer Wired
Tablo Wired - Streamer WiFi
Tablo Wired - Streamer Wired (Best)

With all of that said. I have one of my Tablos on WiFi and stream WiFi Roku (Ultra and 3’s) and it works without issue. And I’m using the crappy Arris from ATT as well… just “g” speeds on 2.4Ghz.

The Tablo doesn’t require much. Let’s just say some have a myriad of problems with infrastructure far superior to mine (can’t overemphasize “far superior”). My point is, that often times there are other issues. Real issues that I don’t have with much cheaper equipment.

My other Tablo is wired btw. But I can’t tell the difference.

I do have my Tablo set to 720p 5mbps (recommended setting) because the largest TV we have is just 55", and again, it’s just not a huge difference maker trying to go higher (noting that in some cases, it’s going to be worse).

2 Likes

I prefer wired over wireless, it’s “stable” and faster. That aside, wireless isn’t inherently bad. It’s very environment specific. Personally, only mobile and IoT devices are wireless, everything that can be it wired.

Channel resolution and recording quality and overall network activity has an impact. It’s not one-size-fits-all.

Not to discount a retired EE with a background in RF, you can only amplify the signal you receive. For some users, if the signal isn’t there - spending money for the best LNA isn’t going to be any benefit. Just saying, it’s not for everyone.

I believe an outdoor mounted antenna is always superior to indoor, no matter how “new fangled” it is.

Using the QUAD, how do you make these determinations, when you made enough improvement? or that is only needed a little?

Using the system originally without the additional amplifier produced marginal results on a consistent basis. In my case, adding the 2nd LNA improved the signal just enough to eliminate this problem. That is, there was a dramatic difference between the before - after configuration. As has been mentioned, this approach only works in cases where the signal strength is “almost” enough, but not quite, as evidenced by the picture “breaking up” on at least some of the channels.

I’ve had a single channel breaking up on a split of a run. I had a booster/amp on the end of a 50’ length of cable… turns out that one channel was “breaking up” due to trying to compensate for the long cable (2 different devices), which I didn’t need it.

I had a TV with a Signal Strength and Signal Quality meters. I know they were only a visual representation, but it does provide some real-time reference.

There are so many variables. For some, it’s a lot of trial and error - others it’s painstaking trial and error. People spend big $$ some fancy antenna with marginal results, others have discussions with build-your-own with surprising reception.

It’s often discussed, signal strength is only part of the equation. Signal quality (SNR) can be 100% with far less than 100% strength.

In the end, I hope you do enjoy your tablo experience - and never have to mess with your antenna adjustment again :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve since experienced too much freezing on my Firestick tv only, and have determined it’s due to limited Firestick bandwidth, mostly fixed by dropping the TABLO bandwidth setting to the minimum 2MB/sec. The problem only occurs during football games, even during non-motion frames such as commercials, static reports etc. It looks like the transmission characteristics (data/frame rates) from these sports sources are too much for the Firestick. I’ve also read that the newest Firestick versions have similar setting options as does the TABLO. The reduction is signal quality isn’t bad and doesn’t really matter in the case of a football game, at least not to me.

I had no choice but to use WiFi on one unit because I put Tablo in an attic being unable to run cables. Worked remarkably well and I never felt it more or less buggy than units in other locations hard wired.