Over Christmas, I set up my kids phones to be able to watch my content back home. In Houston, I have 100+ channels available. At home, they have 4 or 5. Once phones were setup, it was verified that they could connect and stream. Right away, ran into problems with all tuners being used.
Can we get an indication of how many tuners are in use? Just a simple text line somewhere in a corner of active page would do it.
How about ability to kick remote viewers off / release remote tuner when the no tuner message rears its ugly head? To go a bit further, how about an autokick?
We played with changing recording rates / remote rates in attempt to avoid transcoding. Didn’t work out.
As it is, they boys know that only 1 can stream, occasionally they will request that I let them use a 2nd tuner to watch a program that both are interested in. The workaround at the moment, for recordings, is a bit complex. I built a vpn between their phones to my router (OpenVPN is wonderful) and they are able to use ota2Go to access the tablo and download whatever it is they want to watch. I am also looking at a partial plex solution as well. My current method of seizing a tuner is via bruteforce. Since I know the mac addresses of their phones, I am able to temp turn off access at the router. After a few minutes, the Tablo times out and tuner becomes available again.
The 16 year old has managed to remote watch a program, redirect video output (Wireless HDMI I think) to the Mac at their location, which then sends it to the AppleTV, which then is able to send it to multiple TVs simultaneously.