Time to step up to the plate

We’re 8+ months into many of the requests.  I’m not questioning anyone at Tablo’s previous passion or drive however at least this user would like to see some stepping up to the plate in terms of bringing the multitude of requested features to fruition sooner rather than later.  Having working hours of M-F 9-5 works for the game plans at some companies but not the the ones that are behind or want to be on top.  Being out for nearly a year makes you no longer the new guys.  Those of us that have bought into you support you 100%.  We want this to work.  You want this to work.  Now we just need you to pull out all the stops and bring it all together.  @TabloSupport Can you do that?

+1

They hinted that they have a ton to announce at CES this week.  A press release just hit the wire with some new hardware (built in dual antenna), showing off the new roku app, and new dedicated apps for Fire and Nexus

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-01/tablo-unveils-new-hardware-major-roku-refresh/

A little more concise PR 

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/nuvyyo-continues-to-lead-innovation-in-over-the-air-hdtv-technology-1980213.htm

Would sure be nice. Some of their documents state support for Amazon Kindle while others say no, Amazon and others say the app can be loaded, some say no. I tried all of the information out there, really messing up my wife’s Fire badly and found it can’t be done. 

So - at this point I can record all I want, but have nothing useful to get the recordings to to the TV - have Chromecast but they chose Roku over the Google device.
The Kindle devices are there - in numbers. There’s a whole lot of people with them. Some of us have gone either that route, or for myself, Android tablets but support for Android is also not that great. Since iPad is not a business device, it’s aimed and marketed at consumers, but I am very much needing business friendly devices, I opt for Android so the lack of support for the single most prolific operating system in the world is a bit disappointing to say the least. 
Same could be said for Chromecast - at a fraction of the cost of Roku and the fact I don’t need a Roku account with yet another ID and password and even more access to the web (on limited bandwidth in rural areas), would like to see some concentration on apps for using non-Apple equipment since not all of us are Apple fiends. 

I’m incredibly happy with my Tablo, and they seem to be adding features and improving at a pace that far exceeds what you’d expect from most other companies.

What about the ability to download recordings? This has been sold as coming soon since launch.

@shadowspapa - We do have an app for Amazon Kindle tablets. It’s avaialble at www.TabloTV.com/apps. That being said, not all Kindles have the horsepower to support the app. Have you worked with @TabloSupport to get it going? 

All I saw was a link that took me to Amazon where nothing was found (we are Amazon prime members).

I will clear my browser cache, try again and if I get lost again I will track details, including EXACT Kindle model and so on and contact support.
I knew I read that there was such an app but all paths led me nowhere. 
Thank you very much for the quick response! Wow. 

I already like the Tablo so much my other recording equipment was disconnected last night - and I’ve not even tried playing a recorded show over the Chromecast yet, just assuming I can I have that much confidence.
Basic setup took all of maybe 3 minutes over my Wi-Fi and I was doing other stuff at the same time.

Kudos to Canadian engineering. Now do you have an app to stop your cold air from falling south?

Kudos to Canadian engineering. Now do you have an app to stop your cold air from falling south?

Ha! We’ll see what we can do about that. Maybe global warming will take care of it for us? :wink:

Good one! 

OK, I went to that URL last night and it’s indeed links to Amazon and Google Play. There aren’t any apps there.
The things I hate, actually abhor about Amazon apps and Google Play is that if they believe an app won’t work you can’t get it. The Google play store said that your app won’t work on my Moto X with OS 4.4.2 which is WAY later than your 4.1 minimum. And the X is a VERY capable phone!!

OK, so I followed the link on that page (again, there’s no apps there, only links to other sites) to Amazon and it said “sorry, we refuse to serve you because you are too dumb to see this app will simply not work with your Kindle Fire” and it REFUSED to install or even let me download the app to my wife’s Kindle!
It’s got MORE than a 7.1" screen, it’s something like 8" measured across, more than that diagonally! It’s got more HP than a dumb smartphone!
I’d prefer if we could get such apps direct from the maker instead of having to rely on Amazon or Google to know what’s best for us (and to get richer in the process as if they need more cash)

So I was correct, that page you mention has no apps, just links to Apple, Amazon and Google Play. Amazon and Google refused to let me download and install and yet on the phones oddly enough it looked like a package was being downloaded. (what’s the diff between Tablo Web and just the Tablo app links on Amazon and Google Play?. I could access “Tablo Web” for my phone but not the app. Amazon refused me service for anything Tablo. 
My wife’s device is a Kindle Fire HD 8.9
8.9 is a little better than 7.1 and it’s an HD and it’s pretty capable. 
Will Tablo app not work with the HD 8.9 ?

As long as it is a third generation or higher, then it should work.  http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/738/tablo-app-now-available-on-kindle-fire-tablets-sorry-not-kindle-fire-tv-yet

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 WAN (3rd Gen)

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 WiFi (3rd Gen)

Here's the link to the app: http://www.amazon.com/Nuvyyo-Tablo/dp/B00NTD3XFE/ref=sr_1_2?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1411588400&sr=1-2&keywords=tablo

Your Moto X should work with the Tablo Web app for Android (my Moto G 2nd gen works fine with it).  Just do a search for Nuvyyo in the Google Play store, and you will see it.  You cannot use the tablet app with and smartphone, but the web app does quite well.

That’s the thing I hate and always have about having to use Google Play or Amazon for downloading apps for devices. If they don’t understand your device, they refuse to allow you to download. 
Google Play said no, not compatible and refused to let me add the Moto X as a device, it was stuck on Electrify - the phones we’ve not used for over a year now.

But when I try the “web app” and it starts to download, all of a sudden I get a package ALSO downloading in the background. It’s very confusing. 
Also very unclear and there’s no real documentation - what’s the diff between the “web app” and the other “Tablo” app? 
One simply says “Tablo” and the other says “Tablo Web” on both Google Play or whatever it’s called these days and Amazon.
By the way - check my other messages about how I found out that my Tablo and my controlling devices can’t work without an Internet connection. 
That stinks so bad I may have to repackage it and send it back as we do not always have internet, heck big parts of this country don’t have reliable Internet. Worse, it sucked up our bandwidth to the point we’re paying overages already and I just set it up last weekend. We got data use alerts within hours of setting it up, and at one point I wasn’t able to use Tablo when our Internet was down.  
I was told or read that it worked on our local lan, but was told by support yesterday no, it requires that the Tablo AND my computer or phone contact their server for connection information. Why? They are on the same lan segment, same network. No routing needed internally. 
I won’t stand for that - I won’t pay fees and overages and won’t be stuck unable to use the Tablo when the web is down for us and that happens a lot, daily, where we live. That’s why we won’t use netflix and roku and those services - costly and require Internet at all times. 
No Internet, no ability to configure the device is what I experienced this weekend.

So I wonder - is that what the “web app” means - it must run on the Internet?
I wish I’d have known this earlier if that’s the case it’s possible I would not have ordered it if I had known it required a connection to THEIR server and constant internet connection to use it. 
That’s going to be too expensive to maintain IF that’s correct but I was also told by support that a browser shouldn’t be allowed access to local network. and that’s bunk as browsers are the only way to configure modern network equipment like routers, switches, repeaters and so on. 

@ShadowsPapa We’ve been chatting directly - but just incase anyone else is wondering about this:

The difference between the downloadable Tablo web app(s) and the native apps is just that - one is native, and one is the HTML5 http://my.tablotv.com/ app wrapped up and implemented (largely for phones, as we don’t have native apps for phones at the moment. On Android, we made the web app available for both phones and tablets to provide an alternative).

The HTML5 app requires an Internet connection - and unfortunately this, at large, can’t be changed - at least at the moment.

While it won’t be using your bandwidth to stream video, it will report to our server to check for guide updates, report logs, etc.

Also saw the CES announcement.  Very disappointed that Roku seems to be the be all, end all.  I had Rokus and took them back; way, way too slow, hate the GUI, and no skip ahead/back, all of which are not a problem on Plex.  And with Plex I get access to my downloaded stuff and Tablo in one environment, even away from home.

But the poster is right.  I am in Silicon Valley.  Those in my patent law practice are all start ups.  A development pace this slow in a market place that has matured in many areas plus has big players with big budgets will be death.  I fear they will wind up like SAGETV, which was terrific.  Did OTA, download, great extenders, etc.  Then Google bought them and literally threw them away.    

As much as I don’t like Roku and love Plex, it was probably a good decision to hitch on to Roku; far more “TV civilians” using Roku, but the native Tablo GUI and navigation, presentation,etc, are just so amateurish that many will take a look and return the unit.  And if they do start selling from retail stores the returns will go up due to convenience.  So they gotta make is something you can’t live without, instead of something that takes constant excuse making to the spouse.  “They’re working on it” wears out after a while, even with me.
@ShadowsPapa We've been chatting directly - but just incase anyone else is wondering about this:

The difference between the downloadable Tablo web app(s) and the native apps is just that - one is native, and one is the HTML5 http://my.tablotv.com/ app wrapped up and implemented (largely for phones, as we don't have native apps for phones at the moment. On Android, we made the web app available for both phones and tablets to provide an alternative).

The HTML5 app requires an Internet connection - and unfortunately this, at large, can't be changed - at least at the moment.

While it won't be using your bandwidth to stream video, it will report to our server to check for guide updates, report logs, etc.

THAT explains a lot. thanks. HTML5, yeah, I can see how you need to at least start out that way. Perhaps soon you can change it, but that does help explain. OK that’s a big help in my long list of things to work out and figure out and decide on. 
I’m a detail person, and unfortunately my personality (I’m also extremely ADHD) I can’t seem to accept “because I said so” but can sure take “it’s HTML 5” as a logical and technical reason for things as they are. 

Now, why don’t you have a “native app” for the other devices?  Just kidding!

I had talked via support/email a few weeks ago with someone and had figured that cell phones could be the “go-between” between Tablo and Chromecast. Bummer - our older cell phones won’t go beyond Android 2.xxx something. Our new phones are 4.4.2, MORE than late enough and more than powerful enough as they are the Motorola flagship - the Moto X. BUT, they are our PHONES too so can’t sit around streaming stuff. My wife’s Kindle could, but so far no joy making that function as I tried following the links and getting the app, ANY app, from Amazon for her Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (year, more than big enough screen!) and Amazon’s store says the app isn’t compatible so refuses to let us download and/or install it. Looks like I have to go buy a device just to go between the Tablo and Chromecast, bummer. Hate to go buy something just to go between the Tablo and Chromecast. 
The new LG Blu Ray player can handle a lot of similar stuff, if Tablo could stream to the Blu Ray player I’d have it made!
I REALLY want this thing to work, I do. I think it’s a fantastic idea, the company is full of nice people and their support is beyond patient and I love to support the small and “mom and pop” shops and businesses, so I’m not giving up yet - Amazon does have a good return policy so I have time to try. I don’t quit easily - which can be good, or it can tick people off. 
All that’s left is to try to find a simple way into Tablo and to hopefully do it with NO Internet connection at some point. 

@oldmike - odd your comments on Roku. I work IT, tech, bleeding edge and my peers and co-workers are of course “tekkies” as some people sling the insult. Until a few months ago, no one where I work heard of Roku. Then we hired a YOUNGER person, and that’s where the word Roku came up. You say “civilians”, I say youth. I’ve yet to meet anyone in the groups I hang with, be it cars or computers, that know “what the heck is a roku” let alone own one. And many I know ARE cord cutters or people wanting to move away from monthly bills, more and more accounts for this and that, and Roku is the thing my peers are wanting to move away from - Roku requires you be online and requires you have yet another account to remember. (that’s likely why I’ll never own one, well, never say never, but not that I can see looking into the future. I don’t need YET ANOTHER bloody online account to remember and deal with and ANOTHER thing I have to log into and hope doesn’t get HACKED - like Sony did causing my son to have to cancel his credit cards, etc. The more accounts you have, the more things you log into on the web, the more at risk you are, period.)

You do sound a bit paranoid. Big deal if they hack my Roku account - I have no personal info or credit info attached to it. Yes they can delete my channels but that’s it. I don’t see the motivation to hack a Roku account either.

sounds like someone needs to expand their circle of friends :smiley: