Time to step it up Tablo

Is there Roku support for the new HDHomeRun DVR?

No idea, we are discussing Plex DVR. Which does support the Roku.

Ah my mistake, but for Roku support, it must transcode to the h.264 format correct?

Yeah, I agree Tablo really needs to step it up! I have 2 HDHomerun connects and part of the kickstarter DVR program. Itā€™s really coming along too. I normally watch recordings through my Tablo 4 because I like the tiles when skipping and I watch live TV using the HDHomerun. What is really cool is the HDHomerun also works in the Android Live channels. There are some features that I like in my Tablo and some that I like in my HDHomeruns, but Tablo needs to fix live TV, audio and also integrate to Live channels. HDHomerun DVR will be $30.00 a year for guide data, itā€™s a pretty low cost solution overall and will end up hurting Tablo in the long run. I am a big Tablo fan, so I would like to see them remain competitive.

yes- but that is one of the features of plex- transcoding to whatever a given device supportsā€¦

but the capabilities of the Plex DVR are still EXTREMELY limited in beta- you still have to schedule recordings via the web interface, and cannot play a recording until it is completed. not to mention the non- traditional program guide which can be very off-putting to those accustomed to the more traditional grid guide layout

The .ts file for sure cannot be played, and the remuxed MKV container format seems to be at too high a bit rate (@ 15,222 kbps) for the Roku device.
The transcoded file works perfectly and is a H264 file @ 9,000 kbps encoding.
The Optimize for TV transcoded file also works perfectly and is H264 @ 7,000 kpbs.

All formats and attempts Iā€™ve tried so far have retained the original audio stream(s).

1 Like

Because I am on a Roku the above ā€œlimitationsā€ are the same. I have to use the web of tablet apps to schedule recordings. And I definitely miss the grid style view of guide data, however having been on Tablo for a year and a half Iā€™m now use to non-traditional tile style.

Things that it does have though are:

• Pick a resolution to record if multipe are available
  • Replace lower resolution if a higher one become available
  • Minutes before/after start extension options
  • Limit recording to a specific channel
  • Keep 5,3,1 episodes, or Keep episodes from 3, 7, 30 days
  • Delete after watched ā€œnever, after a day, after a week:ā€
  • if transcoding after the recording this does not use up a tuner

Basically all the options Iā€™ve wanted that are missing in Tablo are here. I have a special use case as we watch TV from only one or two places, never watch an episode live when we know it;s being recorded, and only watch Live TV on the TV. Having Plex in the mix though does add all the remote watching of RECORDED tv that one could want if the Plex server is powerful enough to transcode.

Definite issues to iron out though and in my case figure out best option for transcoding, e.g buy an HDHomerun Extend or run a second Plex server on a PC for recording purposes. What has me energized is that this is the BETA canā€™t wait to see what goodies will eventually end up in the final product.

I would assume Plex would handle the transcode of what ever its fed automatically just like any other video files you give it.

Wow, with all this good stuff cooking up for Plex I am really thinking the subject of this thread was really appropriate. I enjoy my Tablo, I really do. I just wish it was more device friendly and it truly worked as itā€™s touted to.

If you are using Plex for video content anyway, I would imagine that you would need to investigate your preferred transcoding solution anyway, unless you are going to pre-encode all of your stuff into a format that all of your devices can play natively.

I personally am using 2 different Plex serversā€¦
NVidia Shield gives me up to 2 streams {No 3rd party channels},
and a Zotac IQ-01 {up to 4 streams}.
with all my content stored on my DS-412+ NASā€¦

I would only get an extend if I had a need for live transcode of live TVā€¦
Making sure your server can transcode has more ā€œlasting utilityā€ in that is available for all of your processes vice the single use case of only transcoding TVā€¦

I currently do zero transcoding on my Plex server. All 5 TB of files on it either play or direct stream natively on all three players I currently use. So the goal would be to have the ā€œRecordingā€ end up in a similar format. My current NAS just doesnā€™t have the power to transcode a file effectively.

The plan Iā€™m leaning towards in the short term is using a PC I have lying around that does nothing 95% of the time to do the recording then ā€œtriggerā€ a OptimizedforTV conversion. Takes about 10 minutes/hour of Recording to transcode on that machine.

Uh watchairtv == magicā€¦ apparently.

I mean can you get a flat thin device to actually transcode OTA (live tv)? Probably not. Not saying you canā€™t attempt to stream those large mpeg2-ts files, but store on a phone? I donā€™t think that works really well given the size of each mpeg2-ts.

IMHO, airbox is perhaps a more realistic thingā€¦ less magic required (plausible). But of course, itā€™s just a settop boxā€¦ which again, requires less magic.