The 4k Future on Tablo

You could be right, but I do not think it is much more difficult than what they are now attempting, Honestly, I do not see how ATSC 3.0 can succeed in its current form. They are trying to do too much too fast, in my opinion. We will see… we don’t have much choice but to go along for the ride.

If we look at the way the USB protocol has evolved, always keeping backward compatibility in mind… I think they could have done multiple codecs… if they had wanted to do it.

Consider products like VLC – a program that can handle just about anything in a single straight forward package. And it is free. Same for products like HandBrake… it can handle just about anything, again, a free program. I think they could’ve supported backward compatibility – they just didn’t care about it, because people jumping to OTA are costing the big networks lots of money.

ATSC 1 will exist for at least 5 years after ATSC 3 becomes the standard

I pray for the Second Coming - today every morning.

Having a 4k OLED I can say that HDR is more important then 4k. Of course you can’t get HDR without 4k so a bit of a mute point.

In any event I really could care less if OTA goes to 4k, I have all the 4k content I want on Hulu, Netflix and Disney+ HDR is what makes it soo much better, OLED HDR or if you must QLED. Not that crappy LCD version of HDR that really doesn’t do all that much. I have a 65" LG LCD with HDR, Was only about a $700 TV, but still the OLED just blows it away when it comes to HDR.

End of rant.

PDP-8 rules!! (Grin). Im an old DEC tech…

This is why I can look at clouds and be entertained for hours.

Yeah, me too. I used to get into a lot of trouble doing exactly that when I was in grade school. To this day, 70 years later, I still like to do that. Too bad not many clouds in the Phoenix area (usually).

In light of CES (ongoing now) it seems this topic needs to be revisited. Here is a recent headline from the 2020 CES:

Next Gen OTA TV Is Coming to 61 Markets & Cord Cutters Should Be Excited

They are talking about ATSC 3.0 coming to 61 markets (hopefully) in 2020. Optimistic, probably, but it is coming.

So once again, I am wondering what Tablo is planning. Like many (I believe) I am waiting to upgrade my DVRs. I purchased a Tablo Dual 64gb last year when Tablo had refurbs on sale. And it is not convincing. I am ready to upgrade (spend some money)…

Sure, cord cutters aren’t already excited about their independence and savings - the giant corporations are marketing “Next Gen TV”… because it has a the ability to “monitor” user’s habits and other marketing demographic information.

We should be excited because giant corporations say so, yea… now we have a good reason for excitement.

We’re still keeping a close eye on developments with ATSC 3.0 but we don’t have anything to announce yet (or we’d be at CES!)

We’re still thinking that the ‘end of 2020’ timelines that the Next-Gen TV marketing people are aiming for are pretty optimistic.

It’ll probably be more like 2022 before most folks in the US have access to at least some ATSC 3.0 content. And even then, as we’ve noted before, ATSC 1.0 broadcasts will continue for 5 additional years after each station makes its switch.

We’ll probably do an ATSC 3.0 update blog in the next few weeks that outlines all of the latest and greatest since our last one from April.

Okay, without large corporations (or small corporations for that matter), there likely would be no broadcast TV. Most TV markets are “for profit” businesses. Very few (if any) that I know of are free (truly free).

“giant corporations” - there are a handful of companies controlling most of the media you watch. There are are a few major retailers, online or physical, deciding which cheapest products you “want”.

Data mining and marketing is a multi-million dollar industry, which doesn’t advertise, to monitor every aspect of you life including you private personal home life now…

Providing a service vs manipulating your life aren’t the same.

No. No they are not. Unfortunately, we live in such a world. I remember when I was 16 year old… the then President of the United States, Dwight David Eisenhower, warned us of the dangers of the military-industrial complex. Not much has changed since then, except that we live in a world even more controlled by large corporations… in fact, super large corporations. A long time ago, I decided, personally, that I could suffer or do as the Romans do (when in Rome). As the old saying goes… “…learn to love the bomb.” (Dr Strangelove) (I watch too many movies)

Man, I am full of cliches today!

But really, we are far of topic for this forum. As a corporation, the makers of Tablo, would do well to prepare for the future.

1 Like

Antenna Man - New YouTube video about ATSC 3.0 at CES.

ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV at CES - TVs, Set Top Boxes, and Dongles https://youtu.be/g45Hh5OGelI via @YouTube