The 4k Future on Tablo

I wouldn’t trust a used Tablo device unless it was refurbished directly from Tablo. I can’t think of a reason to sell my Tablo on eBay / Craigslist / Kijiji unless it was defective / faulty lol

USB 3 offers a couple of advantages, speed being only 1 of them. Most small boxes that contain computers, like dvrs, game consoles, android boxes, etc… suffer because USB 2 can’t supply enough current to run larger hard drives. I wish I had a nickel for every complaint I’ve read because some external hard drive wouldn’t operate correctly (or at all). USB 3 with its higher current ability would allow these hard drives (and SSD drives) to operate without trouble (usually).

And 6 streams has been the Tablo limit for awhile, in my home with 3 TVs and assorted tablets and phones all going at once… 6 does not seem like a lot anymore. One of my biggest issues, for a long time, has been the load on my wi-fi router. I have gone thru a few of them to find one that can handle what my family demands of it. And 4k streaming is just going to make things harder for my router.

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=electronics&bbn=6459737011&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A493964%2Cn%3A1266092011%2Cn%3A172659%2Cn%3A6459737011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin%3A7688789011%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A1232882011|1232883011|3578042011|3578043011&dc&fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1574379957&rnid=1232878011&ref=sr_nr_p_n_size_browse-bin_6

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/tv-deals?qp=verticalresolution_facet%3DResolution~1080p%20(Full%20HD)

All you know? I know the entertainment industry is evolving, the Television is a tool used for entertainment. You truly believe OTA is risking obsolesce in the foreseeable future?!?

ATSC 3.0 implements two-way communication - no one ever address how they expect their DVR works in this environment. Comments are made how the want one, but how does it communicate back… after the broadcast is over?

I think all companies risk being obsolete. Just look at IBM. During my lifetime they have gone from top dog to obscurity. Look at DEC. Most people don’t even know who DEC was or is. I am old enough to remember the PDP-8 (one of my first computers… I am a retired programmer). New tech is always disruptive, no business can ignore it (or they risk obsolescence). OTA is growing today, but that is not a forever thing, new tech can disrupt it.

1 Like

ATSC 3.0 is a response to streaming. I think that cable and OTA are both being disrupted by on-demand streaming. All of my kids think I am a old fuddy duddy because I watch a TV with channels… they are all Netflix and Hulu generation. And on-demand, right now, is what is pushing 4k, Just my opinion. Everyone else is trying to play catch-up with on-demand services, like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc, etc. My son thinks it is quaint that I own an antenna!

1 Like

But, yet, cordcutting is “fresh” and “cool” and “modern”. But as you mentioned, most feel it means Internet streaming. Then they are amazed at the quality of OTA and believe it’s “new”… and are baffled by this “new” antenna based technology. Of course, sometimes they are too enamored with their new “record players” and spinning this “new” thing called “vinyl” which is just so, so, so much better than digital, etc… etc…

It all depends on how you define “cord cutting”. In my mind, I cut the cord when I dropped satellite TV. I started with an antenna, went to cable, then to satellite (1st DirecTV then Dish). And finally back to the old trusty antenna. At first I made my own, it worked pretty well, but I was shamed into buying a flat antenna (brand name withheld). It works okay. I live close to the transmitters, that are on top of a nearby mountain. Back when I cut the cord, I was paying 20 bucks a month for internet. Pretty slow, but gosh, now my internet bill is almost as high as my old satellite bill was!! I console myself by telling myself that the cable/sat bill was optional, the internet has become indispensable.

Valid points… Although your analogies are comparing corporations to a technology. IBM, DEC even Sun Microsystems have gone, but computing technology continues.

Cable/satellite defiantly. There are many people around the country… OTA isn’t anything new. It’s what we’ve always been using… all we have.

Cable wires don’t run down ever rural road… so true reliable high speed internet for streaming isn’t a primary option for a large minority - who’ve always and continue to use OTA.

Even with satellite, still have an antenna for local news or backup.

I don’t know the exact numbers or timing, but my impression is that OTA was the only “game in town” for a long time. Then cable came along and a lot of people adopted it, I think because of more channels and better picture. But that was replaced by other cheaper better alternatives… and OTA declined (never went away). Now as customers like my kids come into the market, they don’t want to pay for TV services, they never had cable or satellite… so they never had to cut the cord. And they think OTT services are just ridiculous, i.e. SlingTV, et al.

I don’t think I am confusing tech with companies. Tech disrupts companies. I only mentioned IBM and DEC because those are 2 that I know a lot about. They were unable or unwilling to stay on the edge of technology, so they fell behind and suffered.

Yes, I agree… where you live and what services are available in your area have a lot to do with the situation. For years I lived in an area without good internet, but it finally came down my street. There used to be 2 cable companies in my area, then one bought out the other, and prices went up.

OTA is making a comeback now, but the numbers I see are really not very big compared to what they were when I was a child. So yes, I think the future of OTA is in some doubt… unless they can find away to upgrade their service (and still make money).

So, “before”, it was a few channels NTSC, with fuzz and snow, etc. Standing in weird places, waving hands in order to clear up the picture. Cable and satellite (unencrypted) were reasonable choices, especially satellite as there were few commercials and pretty much just upfront costs. In many localities, it was “paid for” because of the lack of channel choices or reception in the area. Then the large scale cable and satellite providers came into the picture, things became encrypted, forcing the use of license ware and thus, cost. Then came the government mandate ATSC and the end of marginal antenna use and forcing “good” antenna reception as digital is more “all or nothing”. But everyone had cable and/or satellite, so not a lot of interest (ignored). The “mandate” forced the government (USA) to spend $30-40 per household to provide a converter box so their non-digital TV’s could receive the now (forced) digital signal. Aren’t government mandates wonderful?

The promise of big cable/satellite was that with every increasing volume that prices would “go down”. Instead, they increased. They increased a lot. As they grew bigger and bigger and bigger they took in more and more and more money. Sometimes in some highly illegal ways. As these new crime lords were enjoying their monopoly-like power, people became fed up with the waste and decided that having “nothing” was better than paying $200+/mo. for their “TV service”. Some were paying $300-350/mo. Especially after the Internet and the big players tacking that onto their “services” and forcing service bundling (not channels, but services like “phone”, “TV” and “Internet”). When the dot-bomb hit, one of the easiest things (but painful) to consider giving up to save money was “TV” (that is, cable/satellite TV). The Internet had become too important. Those that were forced to “bundle” chose things like “phone” + “Internet” so as to continue with “a bundle”… while still saving $100+ or more a month by eliminating the “big cost item”… TV. Then people remembered “the mandate” and ATSC. Similar to the days of early satellite, for an upfront cost (antenna), you could get programming and even better, unlike before, the number of channels had greatly increased and the quality, when compared to cable/satellite was phenomenal. While “cordcutting” was originally just people ditching expensive cable/satellite TV, now a new breed was finding “Free HD TV”… which had been there all along, but ignored because we “were happy” at one point with big cable/satellite and had bad memories of TV snow and NTSC. And this wave continues today. Everyday, I meet more and more and more people that have decided that a college education fund (or whatever) is more important than 82 channels of programming never watched.

While OTA was the only game in down pre 1970 or so… not a lot of people will remember that. So, in reality, OTA growth right now is huge (because we don’t measure/care/remember things back that far).

1 Like

Being a “baby boomer”, I remember back much farther than 1970. On the whole, I agree with your analysis., But the money moguls are not satisfied to let us have OTA… Hence ATSC 3.0… which lacks backward compatibility (for no good reason that I can see). I remember when OTA went from B/W to Color. Yeah, I am that old. Anyway, the change was backward compatible, no one had to give up their B/W sets. No one had to send out converter boxes. So I believe it is possible… but the money managers want to keep us paying. The thing is, there are choices now. If OTA fails, we will all still have choices… choices that didn’t exist in 1953, when color broadcasts first began… and yes, I remember lots of stuff from 1953. By 1970 (that you mentioned), I was in Vietnam, having no fun at all (but free movies courtesy of Uncle Sam, if I wanted to sit and watch them in the rain). Hoping for that “Freedom Bird” to take me home.

1 Like

There is good reason. ATSC 3.0 is supposed to use h.264 video which results in significantly less data to be transmitted than MPEG2 video. This allows more channels to be broadcasted over the same single frequency. That frees up transmission frequencies for other uses. It’s a good thing.

And current OTA tuners cannot decode h.264 video. That is one of likely many reasons it will not be backward compatible.

Excellent explanation. Slight concern with your propaganda phrases…

I find it reasonably obvious corporations control the federal government. Often toss out “we don’t want the government…” To avoid saying, lets not legislate out industry. We’ll come up with guidelines. pliciies and standards and take care of things. Of course, none of these will be mandated, if situations change. Consumers still have no protection.

So when the government mandated digital broadcast, it’s unlikely to benefit constituents. It sure does make for great marketing “Crystal clear free OTA government mandated HD programing…” just buy this specialized HD compatable antenna.

And I understand have investing little to none building up their infrastructure. US lags behind much of the world in network speed. With all their massive profits, their networks are decades old… so they impose usage caps - with goofy explanations why it’s acceptable.

I believe it has to do with money. I understand 3.0 uses IP transport / IP based broadcast – networking. One aspect, targeted advertising! You know, to make your experiences more enjoyable.

This could also allow them to know what you’re watching, how often you’re watching… and let the data mining algorithms dig in. Demographic marketing is a gazillion dollar business.

Does a station have to broadcast one or the other?

Who says 3.0 doesn’t kill 1.0?

You’re likely correct that ATSC 3.0 and 1.0 will be simulcasted for years once 3.0 comes out. But the OP thinks the sky is falling. Got to love Chicken Little.

Some of many options in the link below if you believe your Tablo’s future is doomed.

1 Like

Just a note

Nuvyyo/TabloTv implies they have a repport with Consumer Reports - “Our friends”. Although Consumer Reports About Us state they have no industry connections.

Consumer Reports is an independent, nonprofit member organization that works side by side with consumers for truth, transparency, and fairness in the marketplace.

In this article, and other reviews, “it streams video over WiFi” negating a wired connection. Then, have an onion about wired network connections “not WiFi. That’s inconvenient for many people.” for the HD HomeRun.

Of course, there’s not one-to-one comparison for OTA DVRs. They aren’t one-size-fits-all! If you want OTT streaming plus OTA then tablo isn’t your best choice.
If you’re looking for an OTA specific, across multiple TVs [viewing devices/options] tablo hits the top of the list.

Yes. I know. I guess I wasn’t clear. What I meant to say was… they could have designed ATSC 3.0, if they had wanted, in a manner that could have been backward compatible. There is no reason why they could not have included ATSC 1.0 as a subset of the new protocol. As far as I can see, they just said nope, not possible. After all, h.264 is just a codec that could have been handled in a similar way that they handle 720p vs 1080p signals, by changing a bit in the meta data. TVs could have then been made so that they could handle either protocol. Oh well, woulda shoulda coulda… they didn’t and it isn’t.

No. Since I am the OP… no, I DO NOT believe “the sky is falling”. Or that doom is inevitable. Doom is always possible, if we do not prepare for it. There are those who would ignore the possibility of doom, and hasten it as a result. I believe in plans and work to avoid a doomed future.

Hence the thrust of my OP was what is being done by Tablo, or anyone for that matter to avoid or to prepare for the future. So far all I’ve accomplished is stir up discussion of whether preparing for the future is really necessary… but I am not a fatalistic type of person. We can always work to avoid the worst outcomes… but that requires we don’t hide our heads in “de nile”.

Having a broadcast of 2 streams, one of h.264 and one of MPEG2 is definitely not that simple.

I’m a planner too. I’ve just settled on the fact a lot of this is still a moving target in a lot of ways so I don’t expect Tablo to do much until the path forward is a bit clearer.