'Tested' Hard Drives

To be honest, I’m going to use the 30 day return period to convince my wife to make the switch. I’d hate for half of that time to slide by waiting on the firmware. I need the DVR functions. Already ahead of you on your other idea.

Took a while to convince my wife because she was so used to Tivo, but now she uses Tablo quite a bit. Just takes some getting used to, so I agree waiting is probably not a good idea :wink:

Didn’t get this one. Got the 5 TB Seagate that was used in house for testing. Swapping drives this Friday since I’m running the beta Tablo Firmware… I think it is VERY VERY VERY close to being released.

If anyone wants to go ‘whole hog’ on the larger hard drive thing, we’ve tested this Seagate Backup Plus 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive drive and it works great on the new firmware!

2 Likes

Talk about Show Pack Rat :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Or you could go full hoarder and get a 24TB array.*

(We haven’t tested this.)

3 Likes

So when is the firmware to support these drives being released to everyone?

Well, surprisingly, the hard drive works fine on 2.1 firmware 4k sectors or no 4k sectors. Based off your comment, I was worried enough to ask for the 2.2 beta and the good folks at tablo happily accommodated me, but for some unknown reason, the update won’t download. I’m working with support on that issue, but this hard drive works fine on 2.1 in the meantime:

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND NAME: Western Digital
PRODUCT NAME: Scorpio Blue WD7500BPVT
SIZE: 750 GB
LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Cache-Notebook/dp/B003D18DM0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1439905182&sr=1-1&keywords=WD7500BPVT
USB adapter: Sentey 2.5 USB 3.0 Hard drive enclosure
LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Sentey-Drive-External-Enclosure-9-5mm/dp/B00OKOG1GO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1439905222&sr=1-1&keywords=sentey+hard+drive+enclosure

Is there a use for this thread anymore? Now that 2.2.2 is here, every drive should just work, right?

@Brettface - Key word is ‘should’. There are lots of great USB hard drives, but not all of them are suited to be used for DVR applications. There are still going to be some drives that exhibit a lot of disconnects or have flaky cables but many of the drives that had issues with 4K sector sizes will be A-OK now.

CONFIRMED: GOOD
BRAND NAME: Leef USB
PRODUCT NAME: Leef Surge USB 2.0
SIZE: 16 GB
LINK: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0EZ5AG
COMMENTS: Work nicely with Tablo … no issue during playback.

Note from Tablo: FYI - Tablo does not recommend the use of USB sticks for storage.

Just why? lol so you can record like 4-12 shows? lol

1 Like

I didn’t have any Portable Hard Drive. This Leef USB was my best bet :wink:

1 Like

@ppeou - Please beware using USB stick style storage. This is NOT recommended for use with Tablo.

1 Like

@TabloTV, Help me understand this, if Table support USB 2.0, read/write speed should be 60 MB/s. Either I use USB Stick Style, Thumb Drive Style, or External Drive Style; it should not be matter.
I know some pocket-size usb drives seem to drop its connectivity during data transfer. I happen to have a better and stable experience with USB Stick Style compare to pocket-size style.

USB Flash Drives do not have the speed for the Tablo to write say 4 recordings at once, and then playback other recordings for other users.

If you are recording only 1 thing, or only watching Live TV on 1 channel, then yes it will probably be fine.

USB Flash Drives are not SSD drives, they are not where near as quick as a HDD even.

Generally speaking, true… for people wanting USB drives for $4… VERY true.

However, there are some out there: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-usb-3-0-thumb-drive/

To me the biggest problem would be capacity.

Agree that HDD is faster than USB 2.0 but would it make any different when u sending/reading data thru USB 2.0 interface?

The bottleneck isn’t the USB 2.0 interface. The hard drives use that interface. The bottleneck is the “Typical” thumb drive.

Recently replaced my Seagate® Backup Plus Slim drive with a
Seagate Expansion 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 and it has made a huge difference. Have had it for about one week and have yet to see any record failures due to unavailable harddrive. I saw those record failures all the time with the old drive. Just thought folks might like to know.

3 Likes