'Tested' Hard Drives

@jimmyrules712

No the drive must be 2 TB or less. It has to do with the sector size differences.

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND NAME Toshiba
PRODUCT NAME Canvio Connect (HDTC710XK3A1)
SIZE 1 TB
LINK: Purchased from OfficeMax
COMMENTS The "K" in the part number will change with the color of the unit (K = black).
I had no trouble at all with the installation of this drive with a new Tablo. Just take it out of the box and plug it in. The drive comes with the requisite amount of OEM software but the Tablo had no problem with formatting. One thought as you search for hard drives that will be compatible... If the retail box indicates that the drive is compatible with Windows XP (as this Toshiba unit does), there may be a better chance it will work with the Tablo since XP does not handle the advanced hard drive sector size.

Interesting note @Imann about XP and advanced sector size. Hopefully that may help new adopters in buying compatible units.

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND NAME Toshiba
PRODUCT NAME Canvio Connect (HDTC710XK3A1)
SIZE 1 TB
LINK: Purchased from OfficeMax
COMMENTS The "K" in the part number will change with the color of the unit (K = black).
I had no trouble at all with the installation of this drive with a new Tablo. Just take it out of the box and plug it in. The drive comes with the requisite amount of OEM software but the Tablo had no problem with formatting. One thought as you search for hard drives that will be compatible... If the retail box indicates that the drive is compatible with Windows XP (as this Toshiba unit does), there may be a better chance it will work with the Tablo since XP does not handle the advanced hard drive sector size.

I had massive problems with the 2TB version of this drive. I saw this one on sale for a good price but was afraid it would suffer the same problems as it’s larger counterpart.

I don't understand....when I bought this and looked at the site, it didn't say that some were supported and some were not.  Here I have a $300 device with a **brand new** 2TB drive that isn't recognized (among other major issues with the Tablo). Why am I doing the research?  I have to send it back to Amazon now and WAIT for another device. This is a joke.

I agree, this is unacceptable. Tablo needs to do a better job of 1. Notifying customers that there is a compatibility issues with most hard drives and 2. Providing a list of approved / recommended hard drives. 

@tokatlyan

Can you please provide the make and model of said 2 TB drive that was not compatible?

And when you say not compatible, what do you mean? Just Tablo didn’t recognize the drive?

There have been a lot of issues reported on the forums with 2 TB drives, no issues with 1 TB drives.

Have you looked at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236715&cm_re=Western_Digital_Elements_2TB_USB_3.0_External_Hard_Drive-_-22-236-715-_-Product

I got the 1 TB version from Newegg, so I searched for the 2 TB version and read the specs online.  It says it WILL work with Windows XP which according to the previous message means it SHOULD work with the Tablo.

CONFIRMED: GOOD

BRAND NAME:TOSHIBA
PRODUCT NAME: CANVIO CONNECT 3.0 - 2.0
SIZE: 1 TB
LINK: WAL-MART.COM

Have you looked at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236715&cm_re=Western_Digital_Elements_2TB_USB_3.0_External_Hard_Drive-_-22-236-715-_-Product

I got the 1 TB version from Newegg, so I searched for the 2 TB version and read the specs online.  It says it WILL work with Windows XP which according to the previous message means it SHOULD work with the Tablo.

@beastman did you already buy this? It is my understanding that you need to buy a hard drive that is powered from the usb port, that appears to have an external power supply.

Why not get this, which is cheaper.  It is what I bought and what Tablo recommends:

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Portable-Hard-Drive-WDBU6Y0020BBK-NESN/dp/B00DULWSXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428353278&sr=8-1&keywords=western+digital+elements

I don’t believe people have had problems with that one.

I got the 1TB version for FREE from a promo Newegg did when buying the quad tuner model. It works!

@TabloSupport - any ETA for support of larger hard drives or multiple drives on the Tablo?  I’m looking at

WD Elements 4TB USB 3.0 3.5" External Hard Drive WDBWLG0040HBK-NESN Black

but waiting until support for the larger drives is announced prior to ordering.

@beastman - We’re getting closer but I don’t have an ETA yet.

So, what are the symptoms of a incompatible HDD? I got a Fantom GForce3 2TB USB 3.0 drive (wall-powered) and it works. It records. It plays-back. So, it seems to be fine. But, I have had some Tablo lock-ups. Times when the device becomes non-responsive and needs a power cycle (beyond clicking the reset button). I have contacted support and hope to hear back soon. As far as this thread goes... is an incompatible HDD simply one that won't format?
Yes, that is correct.  An incompatible hard drive just isn't recognized by the Tablo and won't format.

Lockups and other issues are likely cause by other sources than the hard drive.

I’m also using a Fantom 1TB external with wall-powered adapter and I’ve had ongoing issues with live and recorded shows not starting when I select watch.  Resetting the Roku3 and/or the Tablo usually fixes it again for a few hours.  I spoke to tablo tech support and they suggested I disconnect the hard drive and run it for a day and see if it’s stable.  I suppose it may well be an incompatible drive. I’ll post followup once I know more…

Would be great if the sector issue could be resolved. At this rate, i will be getting HD home run pvr that will be out later this year! I wanted this to work so badly!

@meames65

2 TB is a ton of space for PVRs. But yes, 4 TV support would be nice.

I am using a 320 GB drive. I delete eps when I’m done watching. And the ones I want to save, I use Jestep’s Tablo Exporter to save them as MP4 files.

@meames65

2 TB is a ton of space for PVRs. But yes, 4 TV support would be nice.

I am using a 320 GB drive. I delete eps when I’m done watching. And the ones I want to save, I use Jestep’s Tablo Exporter to save them as MP4 files.

I also save to mp4 and put them on my home media drive but I also think that’s led me to become an episode hoarder.  I figure in 5 years when I want to watch re-runs, I’ll have the option.

The issues is not so much storage as more compatible storage. This hunt and peck to see if the drive works is not a user friendly device.

We’re getting closer @meames65. Working on the last major gating issue to us adopting larger drives. 

Oops!

CONFIRMED: GOOD
BRAND NAME:TOSHIBA
PRODUCT NAME: CANVIO CONNECT 3.0 - 2.0
SIZE: 1 TB
LINK: WAL-MART.COM

Same here only 20 hrs in but plenty of inactivity to trigger any sleep issues, me thinks? 

Purchased Amazon