'Tested' Hard Drives

Will a seagate srdospo work? I have a esata dock with a 500 drive will it over heat?

Interesting. That’s the same behavior I have with my 1TB WD Elements drive. I’ve since rebooted the tablo and reformatted the drive. 4 days in and it’s working well now. I have a few shows queued up the next few days so we’ll see how it works now. I’m afraid it will disconnect when I need it to record sometime. 

If I try to play live tv it just says “Weak signal”. 
@ShadowsPapa - did you ever get details of the SATA dock that you have working? 

@TabloTV - is there any sort of general statement about using dock like that vs just a regular USB drive?

Mine is a BlacX Thermaltake 2.5/3.5 SATA dock. 

I’ve had it for at least 5 years. It’s never failed to work with any device and it works well with the stack of notebook and desktop drives I’ve outgrown over the years. I initially set up my Tablo with that dock and a 160 gig SATA just for testing to see if I wanted to spend bucks on another drive and keep the Tablo or if the Tablo was going to end up working for us. 
It’s worked quite well, it performed brilliantly with that BlacX dock and I won’t be using Amazon’s return policy for the Tablo. After the initial tests with the SATA dock I did order a 2T drive and switched drives - after we watched what we had recorded so we’d not lose it. 

So yes, that BlacX Thermaltake SATA USB docking station works PERFECTLY with Tablo.

I used it longer than expected as it took us a while to get our feet wet and watch the shows, plus Tablo was so bloody simple for my wife to program recordings into we kept adding to the test drive and not removing from it!

I just plain like that SATA dock anyway. I can move it from PC to PC, or to Tablo should the 2T drive puke on me.

The bad - you can’t simply swap drives as Tablo has a sort of different tracking system than I ever expected. I was hoping to be able to leave the dock connected to Tablo and record say, westerns to one older SATA drive, SciFi to another, etc. 

would it be possible maybe to make a separate list that had an index of vendor/model so searching for something would be easier … 

I am looking for 2tb+ that works with out causing reboots

DoubleTap made a nice list on this page:

http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/108/tested-hard-drives/p6 
CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND NAME Western Digital
PRODUCT NAME My Passport For Mac
SIZE 2 TB
LINK:  http://smile.amazon.com/Passport-Portable-External-Drive-Storage/dp/B00CO1I2DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423546219&sr=8-1&keywords=western+digital+passport+for+mac 
COMMENTS Work great so far.  If you have the password feature enabled, be sure to disable the password feature (using WD Drive Utilties) before you connect it to the Tablo to reformat it

Several people on her, including me, have had better luck setting the HDD if you connect it to a PC and format before connecting it to the Tablo. I know, the Tablo formats it during setup but I could not get through the setup process until I did this first and others have experienced the same thing.

New HDD’s come with “FREE” programs and utilities installed on them. I believe some of those programs interfere with the Tablo setup, IMHO.

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND NAME Western Digital
PRODUCT NAME My Passport Ultra
SIZE: 1 TB
LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B00E83X9P8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1424400369&sr=1-1&keywords=western+digital

NOTE: The box for the 2-tuner Tablo DVR lists an antenna is included…it is NOT included. No harm…I had purchased the Mohu Leaf 50 HDTV unit in advance.

NOTE: The box for the 2-tuner Tablo DVR lists an antenna is included...it is NOT included.  

@markoman - Odd… Your unit must have been packed in an older box. At one time very early on we included a very small antenna with Tablo. We discontinued this since most folks require something with more power. 

NOTE: The box for the 2-tuner Tablo DVR lists an antenna is included...it is NOT included.  

@markoman - Odd… Your unit must have been packed in an older box. At one time very early on we included a very small antenna with Tablo. We discontinued this since most folks require something with more power. 

That’s OK…just curious.

FYI…the Tablo User Guide does NOT mention an antenna in the “What’s In The Box” chapter

In support of Tablo’s tecnological efforts to please the TV-viewing-while-trying-to-save-money public, Henry Ford didn’t wait to produce the Model T before inventing the anti-lock disc brakes. Tablo, just like Apple, Microsoft, Intel, etc, will improve with time as they receive viable and valuable input and feedback from this community form! Just sayin’…

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND NAME Seagate
PRODUCT NAME Pipeline HD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST2000VM003)
SIZE 2 TB
LINK http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MJ5XN0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
COMMENTS Works great with 4 tuner Tablo, nice and quiet.

CONFIRMED BAD
BRAND NAME Rosewill
PRODUCT NAME RX-358 U3C BLK 3.5-Inch USB3.0 Aluminum and Plastic eSATA External Enclosure Hardrive
COMMENTS This will record shows occasionally. I kept getting No HDD or recording ended early errors. I even got a replacement make sure.

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND NAME Sabrent 
PRODUCT NAME USB 3.0 SATA 3.5-Inch Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-GD35)
COMMENTS Running for a couple of weeks with no failed recordings attached to a 4 tuner Tablo.

@tablotv What would be smart (at least on your website) is to offer bundles with a hard drive you know works.  You could createa 500/1tb/2tb bundle by partnering with at least one manufacturer.  That way, the average consumer doesn't even have to think about which hard drive to buy post-facto.    Either that -  or have a list on the main page of officially supported devices with referrer amazon links (you could even earn a commission on sales). In other words - make it as easy as possible to NOT run into an issue...   

@Tablotv I know this is an old message, but I really did like the Newegg bundle - but the 4 tuner Tablo and get a WD usb drive FREE.  I’ve had it a couple of weeks and so far no problems with the drive (problems with NBA running overtime and missed starting of a movie).  No big deal - I have http://www.moviestvnetwork.com and everything there is ontime.  The one I missed was on CBS.

@beastman - If only you knew the back & forth required to make that happen!  :))    Glad to hear it’s working well for you.

@beastman - If only you knew the back & forth required to make that happen!  :))    Glad to hear it's working well for you.

Maybe start now to try the promotion again, scheduled to celebrate the Roku Tablo ap getting the new UI including the schedule grid or for Christmas - I don’t know how long it took - maybe an option to upgrade the free 1 TB to a 2 TB for an additional price. Maybe Nuvyyo and Western Digital can work something out no matter where you buy, with a “Tablo works best with a WD Elements 1 TB or 2 TB disk” on the Tablo boxes and Western Digital saying “Certified to work with your Tablo DVR”

@beastman - We would like to work a lot more closely with the HD manufacturers. Had a good chat with the folks at Seagate at CES and we’re hoping to keep that conversation going. 

The bigger we get, the more pull we’ll have with retailers and suppliers in our ecosystem which means we’ll be able to offer more cool deals and bundles like this.  

@TabloTV any ETA on large drive support ? … I know its “been coming” for a while but it would be nice to have even a ball park … 

@ericgus - I know… There’s one or two bugs that we’re still trying to sort out and it’s taking longer than expected. Unfortunately I don’t have an ETA on when those will be solved. 

@ericgus - I know... There's one or two bugs that we're still trying to sort out and it's taking longer than expected. Unfortunately I don't have an ETA on when those will be solved. 

Ok just that statement is good for me … thanks for sharing… 

I saw someone already confirmed that the Sabrent USB 3.0 Enclosure works (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPA9FJS).  

Anyone know if it matters what internal HD I use in the Sabrent enclosure (as long as it’s 2 TB or under)?  

Can I use a 3 TB or 4 TB drive just formatted with a 2 TB partition?  This would be so I can have more space once Tablo updates their firmware to allow it.