TCL Roku enabled TV

Still pondering this. I’d rather pay $229 or some “reasonable” higher price for the lower end set and HAVE the features, than strip the set and NOT have the basics! Given the (nice, it worked well) Roku interface, the set had great potential…and given the VALUE of the Roku product built in, it seems to me a consumer would recognize that you don’t HAVE to sell it at $188 to get it into homes! Roku’s, while not expensive in the “big” picture only represented 1/3 of the cost of that set! They could have introduced a set with all the basic features and adjustments and STILL sold it at a competitive price. Glad the TabloTV app did work, however on the one I had for an evening! 

@RadioMan - They may have been trying to get down to the ‘magical’ sub-$200 price that makes things sell faster in retail-land. Heck, you picked it up because it was super cheap so lots of others probably did the same thing. And sadly, a vast majority of folks never do anything to the settings on their TV. 

“sadly”…I agree. 

OK, Roku enabled TV has new Netflix implementation.  Will have more detail soon, but still setting up/hanging etc.

We got ours working at the booth today. Looks pretty cool!

@tablotv Curious, did you go wifi, or ethernet via the dongle?  The hidden ethernet support is a real winner on this thing.  Tablo looks great on it too.  :)

@jbanks25,  new Netflix i/f… as expected.  But why just the embedded and stick?  Why not the Roku 1 and 2??  Seems strange to me. But nice to hear nontheless.

@jbanks25 - Good question… Our CEO Grant did the tech setup. I was busy building Ikea furniture. I’ll ask though! 

@tablotv HA!  I have the pleasure of living 5 minutes from an Ikea, so I have experienced the great joy of assembling something with an umlaut in it’s name more times than I can count.  :)

My personal favourite, @jbanks25

That’s great

That's great

Plus 1…

@jbanks25 - How’s the TV working out? I was thinking of buying one.

@larryg4b I really like it.  My setup involves the soundbar and ethernet dongle listed above, and nothing else connected to the TV.

For the price point I think the picture is great, and with the built in Roku it’s a value proposition I wouldn’t hessitate to recommend.

@jbanks25 - Thanks for the info. I ordered the 55" TCL. Do I need to order the USB-Ethernet dongle or will it work Wi-FI.

@larryg4b  In my case the ethernet dongle was probably a must have.  A floor and several rooms separate that TV form the router so there was really a lag when starting Netflix, and I did see a buffer or two on Tablo which never happens on the rest of my setup.

We liked the Roku TV at CES. However, we had a 2nd Roku in the booth and the two seemed to be running interference on each other making the stand-alone Roku remote not work. We had to break out the remote app on our phones which did work. That likely wouldn’t happen in a real home environment when any secondary Roku would be on another floor or in another room.

Plus, the WiFi at CES was a complete zoo. So many access points! 

Makes sense, they were probably both outputting IR signals.  

That’s one thing to get used to with that TV is that you need to be pointing the remote at it.  Not a big deal, but I wasn’t used to it after having the Roku 3 wifi direct in the spot where it was.

Actually with the soundbar I got it works perfect since the bar was able to learn the power and volume control from the TV’s ir remote.  I got to achieve the holy grail…  One remote in the room.

Got my TCL Roku TV yesterday. I got mine hooked up WiFi right now and it seems to work pretty good. My router is right below my TV so that helps a lot. I did order the USB/Ethernet dongle just in case I have any issues. I tested 4 apps; Tablo ran great, Netflix ran great, Hulu ran great, NHL Game Center (yes some of us watch hockey on So. Cal.) had an issue with audio and video not being in sync. I will try this channel again tonight to see if it was just a one time thing or an actual issue.

@jbanks25 - I am also loving the one remote.