Taking my Firestick 4K max (with Tablo app) to the Grandkids for a week

First let me say that my Tablo works so well it leaves me amazed every time I use it. I am somewhat of a geek so connecting and configuring the device was child’s play. My LAN is high speed 500+ always, and the Tablo is connected using Cat6e directly to a pretty decent router. Also, I use an attic installed Pro antenna that picks up anything in the area very well. Never see a buffer or any issues at all, so good job on the Tablo device on my end!!

My wife and I are spending a week at our Grandkids and we are taking one of my Firesticks along to keep current on a few things. The house we are visiting also has high speed fiber so speed isn’t an issue at all. This stick is side loaded with lots of good apps.

The point of this post is to find out if I need to do anything with the device configuration since the Tablo app on the Firestick shows it “paired” with my Tablo. I use VPN’s for some apps on the Firestick but I turn OFF all VPN tunneling when watching OTA with the Tablo. Obviously the IP will change at a different address. Will the Tablo app on my Firestick “find” the Tablo at home without reconfiguring anything on this end? When I set the Tablo up I did not set it up for leaving LAN (traveling).

If something needs to be tweaked can someone here post a link or a simple step by step?

I am new to this forum, but I have been lurking for awhile!!

Just wanted to come back to make sure everyone knows how easy this was to solve on my system. The confusion was with the new and improved Tablo firmware I thought “just maybe” remote connecting would be automatic. Hey its my dream world to live in, LOL!!

Anyway, I simply had to log into my router panel and enable “universal plug and play” designated as UPNP in the config settings on most routers. Then while on the same LAN (home network) I simply clicked enable remote access on the Tablo’s settings (my.tablotv.com) using my Android. The router was auto populated with all the needed ports entered (I logged back into the router to confirm the needed ports were entered into the router configs --they were). NO need to manually import any of this stuff. Its connect the dots easy.

The one little flaw I see in this setup is with the config needing a matching LAN IP address after pairing. If I lose power at the house hosting the Tablo LAN this method ASSUMES that the Tablo will get assigned the exact same LAN IP during reboot of the system (router). I might look into discovering how I might ASSURE that my Tablo will always get assigned the same IP on LAN.

1 Like

That is exactly what many of us have done. Look into your Router’s documentation to learn how to assign a static IP address to your Tablo.

1 Like

Done. Easy!! Example instructions below for others to glance at. Most routers are very similar with config procedures. Open router admin panel and then:

Select ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup.
Some models might use slightly different menu labels, like Settings > Setup > LAN Setup.
The LAN page displays.
In the Address Reservation section, click or tap the Add button.
In the IP Address field, type in the IP address to assign to the computer or server.
Choose an IP address from the router’s LAN subnet, such as 192.168.1.x.
Type the MAC address of the computer or server.
If the computer is already on your network, you can copy its MAC address from the Attached Devices page and paste it in.
Click or tap the Apply button.
The reserved address is entered into the table.

I had a change of heart about running with Universal Plug N Play enabled on my router. For security reasons I decided to manually configure port forwarding after turning off UPNP. It only took a couple of minutes to manually create two custom rules for the ports and its running slick on this end. These 2 rules and DHCP rules making the Tablo “static” with regard to its LAN address should hold up well.

For those of you running remote Tablo units for awhile now: how are you handling being away and your ISP decides to change your home network external IP? Does a changed ISP IP effect connecting remotely??

I wanted to come back here and congratulate the Tablo team for such a great “remote connect” product. We watched our Tablo for hours every single day and never saw one single “spinning circle” or pause of any kind while using remote connect. FYI, the Tablo was being streamed using a Firestick 4K max on fiber from both ends. Great product!!!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.