Tablo Won't Connect Until Rebooted

I had three days of stability. Tablo support logged into it today and saw the three days basically questioned me on why they saw manual resets (i was trying to get it into heartbeat mode) but didn’t say anything to what else the logs had. Then at 12:15 today it went down again and PRTG had to reboot the power outlet to cycle it. Then at 12:40 it went down again.

The changes I made where:

1. Add active cooling, put a fan under it that’s made for cooling a laptop
  2. Make the statically assigned DHCP have an infinite lease time, which took effect after I restarted the tablo.

It wasn’t strange to have a period of several days of stability, but I was really hopeful that this would fix it. now i have to get home, put it into heartbeat mode again and get support to log into one more time and pull the logs to determine why is continues to go down.

Wish me luck.

David from support confirmed the last lockups were due to firmware bug, but their engineers are still analyzing it. They said they are deploying a firmware beta that should further instances of this cropping up in the coming days/week.

So I just wait and see. I’ve had that same reply several times, so their firmware definitely has some issues with stability and seems to have had stability issues for the past 1.5 years now. I hope they can get this figured out, or they can release a more controlled ecosystem so they can guarantee stability.

Just chiming in here: we are investigating this issue (periods of inactivity that can only be resolved with a power cycle) as our top priority. We’re making good progress in our existing beta group - stay tuned for the official release.

Here’s an update: I just sent this to support:

4/26/2017 was the last time my tablo worked until right now 4/28/2017. I had to power cycle it manually. My network monitoring tool didn’t know it was down because it still responded to pings and http requests. However going to any apps on roku, IOS and my.tablotv.com said it could not find a tablo on my network. After i rebooted it twice, it finally came up. I’m on the latest 2.2.13 beta, I haven’t been prompted for 2.2.14 yet. Seems like the latest beta firmware has handicapped the ONE way I could recover automatically from their firmware instability by making the tablo respond to network request but yet still be “offline”. Now i have no way of programmatically knowing if the tablo is offline without actually trying an app.

dlomneck,

Your problem descriptions sound a lot like my issues. I don’t have a lot of time to deal with helping Tablo figure out what’s wrong. I’ve been told that it’s everything from bad USB cable to poor signal quality. I have direct line of sight to the broadcast towers with a smallish yagi, RCA ANT751R. I’ve given up trying to work with support on my Tablo issues. It would require more investment of my time than television is worth. Sometimes it annoys me enough to want to take the thing outside and beat it with a sledgehammer.

For the past 4 months, I’ve settled into enjoying when it works, ish. Or running to the “server” rack in the basement to power cycle it every 2 to 14 days when it locks up. The “ish” with works is because all of my channels have 5 green balls and it seems that the recording misses parts of frames quite regularly. This results in visual artifacts and skips in the audio.

I’m the network and server admin for a local Internet Service Provider. I know my networks. We serve Internet to customers via wholesale DSL, our own fiber optics, and, primarily, fixed wireless (100+ towers worth). I know RF.

The Tablo is assigned 192.168.x.107 via DHCP on my router. The lease time is set to 30 minutes. I its the same type of router I use for the ISP. Same model too. I can see the last time the Tablo requested an IP lease. When it locks up, the last lease has expired within 30 minutes after the the recordings seem to have stopped. Sometimes I catch it within a couple of hours of locking up. Sometimes, I return from a trip and it’s been three days since the lease was last renewed. The Tablo is connected to the network via ethernet to the in-rack router or switch. I’ve systematically tried every variation to try to identify a potentially bad part on the network. Restarting the router does not kick the Tablo back into working.

I have a 4 TB drive. I’m recording lots of old series and binge watching them in order when I have the series from the beginning. For a long time, it was almost always recording. That helped with the correlation between lockup time and lease expiration.

The Tablo is mounted such that it has free airflow on all 6 sides. The basement is not heated or cooled. The temperature varies between 53F and 65F over the course of months. When it locks up, the case of the Tablo is not overly warm.

When it locks up the front LED is off more often than it on. But, sometimes it is steadily lit. The network lights are always flickering as the card senses traffic from the network.

Since network activity and recordings stop at about the same time, I’m pretty sure it’s a problem with firmware or OS of the Tablo.

Some folks in Tablo’s community have postulated that the tuner having issues decoding the signals could be the cause of the lockups.

TV Fool predicts -50 dBm receive signal for the weakest station, -29.9 dB for the strongest station, noise margins from 39 to 60 dB. I can actually pick up a couple of stations with the bare f-connector on the back of the TV. I added a 15 year old radio shack amp from when I lived 80 miles from the nearest broadcast towers, just to appease support. It made no difference. It’s probably overdriving the receiver, but the two TVs which have coax attached are perfectly happy to properly decode the signals without artifacts, with or without the amp. Maybe the signal is too hot, but tech support has never suggested that as a problem.

When things aren’t working, I hate the colored dots method of indicating signal strength. The duplicate PBS channel 48 miles off the back of the antenna show 5 green dots. Just expose the received signal level already. Give me a ssh interface to look at logs while you’re at it.

Mine suffered too but not often… Am connected wirelessly though… i been connected for almost a month without hiccup… this is a bug that needs fix…

dlomneck,

I can feel your frustration, and have been following your posts. My Tablo has been disconnecting from my home network almost every day since I got it a month ago, and I’ve been working, like you, with Tablo support people who tried a lot of things that didn’t end up solving the problem. My disconnects happen mostly at night after we’re asleep.

There was actually a 4-day period a little over a week ago when there may have been no disconnects, but we were away during that period and not using the Tablo or any of the other devices and computers on the network. I say “may have been” because I left the Tablo in “heartbeat mode” thinking support might want to do some more remote diagnostics, as they had a few days earlier. When I got back home it was no longer in heartbeat mode and was still on the network. Maybe support re-booted it? During the 4 days away my Tablo was running firmware beta 2.2.13, which I volunteered to use. Upon my return it downloaded and installed 2.2.13, I suppose the released version, which it is still using now.

This period of sustained connection started me thinking about possible network interference and the bandwidth my router is able to give the Tablo. My router is a D-Link DIR-825 that is about 5 years old – same vintage as your router, I believe. Using the inSSIDer 2.1 utility I saw that my router is broadcasting only in channel 1 of its 2.4 GHz band and that my nearby neighbor’s network is using only channel 11 (and is down 75 db), so there should be no interference from her network. Neither of us is using any 5 GHz channels.

But why was my network using only channel 1? Then I remembered: Years ago (when I had the same router) I was having problems of getting disconnected from the internet, and thinking it might be interference I changed my router’s channel width from Auto 20/40 MHz to 20 MHz. It turned out my disconnects were being caused by an antivirus program, not my router settings. But I forget to change the channel width back to Auto 20/40.

So about 5 days ago I did change back to the Auto 20/40 setting, and inSSIDer shows me the router is now using channels 1 and 5 (the whole 40 MHz bandwidth covered by channels 1-5). Tablo has not disconnected in any of these 5 days. I have been home the whole time (my wife and I are retired) so there has been plenty of activity on the network, with us using 2 computers, internet telephone, Iphones, an Ipad, 3 FireSticks to watch 3 TVs, a Roku-2 (just for watching Netflix and Amazon since before Tablo was born), and of course the Tablo, being used for TV watching and making recordings day and night.

So I’m thinking the problem of Tablo disconnecting may have been (maybe just for me) that it was starved for bandwidth by my older router with non-optimum settings. I’m hoping the problem is now solved, but would not be very surprised if it comes back.

I should add that during these last 5 days I did make one other change to my setup: The TV stations we were watching via Tablo started (during this time period) to sometimes show stutter and dropouts, so I went up to the attic to test the Channel Master low-noise medium-gain preamp connected to my attic CM antenna. I found the CM preamp, only in use for 2 1/2 weeks, had failed (Sad, very Sad…). Removing the preamp eliminated the bad TV picture, and I got the prior good reception as indicated by Tablo’s five green dots for all our TV stations. I believe the preamp was working at the start of the 5-day period, so probably it was not the cause of the earlier disconnects – but maybe the preamp failure was intermittent, who knows?

A few days into this last period, and before I realized my router was providing 20 rather than 40 MHz bandwidth in the 2.4 GHz band (and providing nothing in its 5 GHz band), I decided I needed a more up-to-date router, one with 802.11ac capability. So I ordered the TP-Link Archer C7 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (AC1750). Hey, what’s another $90 after the expense of the Tablo, a 2TB WD Elements USB hard drive, a fancy OTA antenna and preamp, and three Amazon-TV FireSticks? I’m discounting my time and aggravation because I’m retired.

The new router arrived yesterday and I’ll probably set it up in the next few days. It’s 802.11ac capability should give the Tablo a lot more comfort in streaming to our Firesticks over 5 GHz channels (no more disconnects), and I’m hoping our TV viewing interface will be a bit faster. Tablo is such a great concept, and very impressive when it’s working. But, as said by my insightful, non-technical wife in commenting on the disconnect problem, it (the Tablo) is faced with “so many pixels and so little time.” I say that maybe it would not have problems if it’s on a solid, fast, high-bandwidth network.

I’m really glad I kept our Dish Network satellite TV service (with DVR service). It has served as a backup for when the Tablo has disconnected. When we first got Tablo I cancelled our Dish account, but afterwards they called with price offers so low I just couldn’t refuse to remain a subscriber. Dlomneck, you have coax connections from your antenna to your TVs as a similar backup, but without DVR capability. I would advise anyone thinking of going OTA via Tablo-DVR to keep their cable or satellite service for at least a month.
I would just add that I think Tablo support has been helpful in solving some earlier, more serious problems. They have always been very prompt in replying to service requests and have always followed up after having me try different procedures. It seems they tried hard to solve my disconnect problem and did not succeed, but if the problem was with my network/router how could they be expected to have succeeded. Although I guess they might have suggested I check my network and router…

Good luck to all who have the Tablo disconnect problem. I’ll let you know how I make out using the new router.