Tablo: What could be done better?

I’d really like to see a single-click x-second “skip” button - where x is defined in the settings and the skip is not tied to the thumbnails and requires no post-processing.
I know, I can get a 30-second skip by pressing the Roku “right” arrow 3 times - but then you have to push play or OK to resume playing. That’s four button presses to get a single 30-second skip. The lack of that feature is the only reason Directv is still in my house. I like to skip the between-play stuff when watching football, and 30 seconds is about perfect. Except when teams are “tempo”, that’s when the variable setting would be great!

DirecTV uses Tivo technology licensed form them as far as I know. I"m hoping to dump Direct next month, assuming the ‘boss’ approves. The DVR functions on Direct are superior in well all ways so far that I can tell. Problem is if you copy too much TiVo will sue.

A skip option, like described on Roku - is device player specific - not defined by tablo.

Generally, I think people get bored and find entertainment here, others just need to vent - but I’m sure some trolls lurk.

I like to minimize the effort as much as anyone but is this one feature really worth paying so much more long term? Or can you do just locals with DIRECTV? Maybe I’m just super budget conscious. :wink:

1 Like

So who creates the Roku app for Tablo?

The point is that the Tablo developers used the development software that Roku provides, so the skip and rewind times are determined by whatever is in the Roku player. Same with Apple, FireTv, and AndroidTv.

1 Like

You said you can get it with Roku

Aaah, now I get it. Thanks for the explanation. None the less, the topic is “What could be done better”. At some point in the future, maybe Roku will support such capabilities in their player, and for me, having that skip would be better.

Curious how you would know this? Not saying it’s true or not, just curious what industry you work in that affords you access to all those platforms development suites.

Because that is the official Tablo statement. Whether you choose to believe the Tablo developers or not is up to you.

1 Like

So really you only know what you were told. Big difference. Like I said in my complete post, I’m not saying if it’s True or Not. I assumed you had some authority based on your original post regarding the topic. Turns out you are only passing on information without a reference.

I was just looking for clarification and also seeking out individuals with inside knowledge.

We try to use the native player software for the device when possible since maintaining our own player software could/would get VERY complex and expensive.

That means we’re often limited to the player behavior of that device.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation. It’s best however to post information obtained from outside sources in the form of some reference. Stating first hand knowledge when really it’s 2nd or 3rd hand leads one to assume the poster is the authority on the subject.

Not if you’ve been following posting long enough… or use the :mag: in the corner. Try Roku API :surprise: no hasselling - I don’t believe it, so it’s probably not true, but maybe, but I still don’t believe you

Just say’n, saves some Hassel.

Maybe they should read some of the pleasures of using BrightScript:

1 Like

He has earned or been awarded 16 Badges! …doesn’t that mean anything, or am I cross-posting topics?

2 Likes

Many streaming media players provide their own video player. They are often HLS and/or dash. These players come with the OS and thus work with that OS version.

Thus it would not be very cost effective to reinvent the wheel if you didn’t absolutely have to.

My top recommendations (vote if you find one or more valuable)

• ) For multi-tuner devices, allow for warming of common channels so that it streams and buffers a user-set number of channels for fast switch back (think sports fans who like to flip back and forth)

*) Support discovery of devices on a different network subnet (e.g. I can access it over a VPN or different network as if your Wifi network is separate from your wired network)

*) Notifications when favorite shows have recorded where you could get a notification (SMS, phone/laptop app, facebook, etc) when a new episode of XYZ has completed recording. It could also send notifications of health or behaviors to your location of choice.

*) VAR services where if I want to cut the cord, I can subscribe to Tablo who will provide me the device, the subscription to the guide, and a get me in touch with a professional installer to configure and setup my OTA antenna on my house. DISH is doing this for their customers and I think this is something that Tablo could partner with installers in an area (will take time to build a network…)