Tablo vs. TiVo Subscription (Branch from 2.2.26 thread)

Pricing aside, I continue to use my Tivo Premiere in addition to Tablo.

Tivo is superior when it comes to live watching a show due to being able to FF/RW using thumbnails, whereas Tablo waits until the end of the show before generating. This means Tablo is out for things like football or when a show is being watched in “near” real time (like morning news shows with more commercials than air time).

Tablo wins out on watching shows on my iPad and phone devices and on all TVs with Roku and FireTV.

The Tivo commercial skip is darned great and accurate too. I still haven’t gotten a Tablo update yet, so can’t compare the two.

Roamio OTA. Direct equivalent to Tablo.

Roamio OTA. Direct equivalent to Tablo. Never any fees or subscription.

Roamio is discontinued

No.

The antenna-ready Roamio OTA offers all that–with no subscription fees of any kind.

And it’s the Roamio OTA that compares directly to the Tablo.

You never, every looked at Roamio OTA?

No fees.

And we have a winner.

And Roamio compares with Tablo way, way better than Bolt does from a technical standpoint–unless Tablo suddenly gained the ability to show streaming services at 4K resolution…

Look closer at the description. That’s what I was talking about. You buy it with “lifetime” included or not included.

Give me a link to one that beats the price of the Tablo that isn’t , refurbished, used, or “renewed”.

Roamio is discontinued.
It cost $400 because they built in the guide service.
It connects to ONE TV.
To add a TV you need a TiVo Mini VOX at $179 (I used a Roku Streaming Stick+ at $59)
To do 4 TVs you’d need to add 3 TiVo Mini VOX at $179 each.(or $537)

Current TiVo models are Bolt for Cable, Bolt for OTA, TiVo Mini. That’s it.
Bolt OTA with “All in”(lifetime guide service) will set you back $500. And it connects to one TV (see above)

Can I buy a brand new Roamio from TiVo with a warranty?

I don’t think that’s equivalent when the Tablo supports streaming to multiple devices, with no extra purchase necessary if you already have one of the myriad of devices that are supported for playback. And if you don’t, a number of those devices are cheaper than a TiVo Mini.

You can read? Keep in mind this is a “renewed” unit at this price! I can’t find a new one at any reasonable price.

Tablo Quad with 1TB $229
Tablo Lifetime Guide service $149
SubTotal $378
Add Roku Ultra for living room $79 (Amazon)
Total $457

TiVo Bolt OTA with 1TB $249
TiVo All in Guide Service (lifetime guide) $249
Total $498

Now add 1 more TV…
Tablo… add Roku Streaming Stick+ at $59 (now you’re at $516 for 2 TVs)
TiVo… add TiVo Mini VOX at $179 (now you’re at $677)

I have 4 TVs
3 Streaming Stick+ at $59 each …$177
3 TiVo Mini VOX at $179 each… $537

Tablo for 4 TVs $634
TiVo for 4 TVs $1035

Not even close. I’m done.

It seems to me that all this TabloTV vs. TiVo shouldn’t be in this thread. I mean, why does a TabloTV Firmware update cause a TiVo discussion ???

2 Likes

Agreed. I feel guilty. I apologize for cluttering up this thread with that nonsense.

I have the power to make things right.

I think I grabbed all of the relevant posts and moved them here.

Apologies if I missed one.

You could have picked one of the existing 20+ threads going back to 2014.

[missed the moved]
something happened in 91, and many believe they can can get through by using common sense …endlessly :neutral_face:

Thanks! We got out of hand in the other thread.