Does anyone have experience with both Tablo and Plex Live TV & DVR? Plex just had a sale on their lifetime subscription so I bought it yesterday and started tinkering with Live TV & DVR. I have an old Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q which is technically not supported by Plex but it seems to work fine. My initial thoughts using this for only a few hours:
- Setup: Plex is much more difficult to setup from both a hardware and software config perspective so if you are looking for simplicity stick with Tablo. If you want more flexibility/control and are willing to tinker with the setup then you can give Plex a whirl. Winner: It depends…
- Interface: This is a tough one as I am so familiar with Tablo. I think I will become equally familiar with Plex. One thing I think Plex is missing is star ratings for Movies. Winner: So far Tablo
- Quality: Early indications are that Plex has a better picture quality but that can be dependent on a lot of things such as my default for Tablo is 720p/5Mbps. Winner: Unsure but I suspect Plex
- Commercial skip: I just turned it on with Plex and have not yet seen the results. I am very pleased with Tablo’s commercial skip. Winner: too early to tell but I suspect Tablo
- Cost: This is tough so I will just mention a few points. For Tablo, you need the Tablo, an HDD, and maybe a standard or premium subscription. With Plex you need a Server, a tuner, and a subscription. The server can be many different things (I’m using an old Linux PC) but most NAS devices will not support Live TV & DVR even if they can be a Plex Server. Winner: There are too many variables depending on your setup but for me moving forward, Tablo will cost me $20/year for Commercial skip and Plex will only cost me whatever hardware improvements I may make such as an ATSC 3.0 tuner.
Early personal conclusion: I will stick with Tablo for the foreseeable future but I will tinker with Plex as a possible ATSC 3.0 solution but who knows what is on the horizon for Tablo and ATSC 3.0?
Anyone else out there have any experience/thoughts?