Tablo stopped working and Account here disappeared

Had tablo a week, had to send a ticket to have support format the “recommended” hard drive I bought with it.
Tonight was watching it, all of sudden it lost connection to my tv. Tried connecting via web page and it would not find the Tablo.

Went to reboot and both Tablo and HD are HOT to the touch.

removed power, let sit for a minute, reconnected.
Tablo saw tv and web app saw tablo…for less than 1 minute.

Tried connecting to a live tv show… connected for less than 10 seconds.

Pulled plug and will wait 30 to let cool down before opening support ticket.

In the meantime my account email address was not recognized by this site. Had to create a new account to post this…

something is up…

anyone else have this problem?

I ordered the DEEPCOOL WIND PAL MINI Laptop Cooling Pad 15.6" Slim Design 140mm Silent Fan Blue LED from Newegg US for 9.99 with free shipping. I set my Tablo quad and 2TB Seagate usb portable drive on top of it and plugged it in. It makes NO noise and very little breeze …but my Table is now just barely warm to the touch and before it was HOT - 90++. And my HD seems to be just fine up there…so far. I have portable drive so the usb is drawing some power = more heat. My setup has been running for over 2yrs with almost no problems. (and I DO believe some problems described in this form are due to overheating)

Now I know that they say that 90+ is normal for the unit, but I have always found that cooler electronics seem to last longer. Cheers, :smiley:

Sodaman,

thanks for that, I planned on getting a pad tomorrow, unfortunately all stores that sell them near hear are closed now.

and yep, cooler is better for electronics. Sadly however these units should never hit that temp and as a design flaw it is a pretty big one.

I had problems with my Tablo 4 locking up. Tablo said it was a networking issue. It seemed very hot to the touch so I put it on a laptop cooling pad. I haven’t had a single lockup since then.

I agree, it seems they have miscalculated their thermal output and/or dissipation and won’t be able to change it until model 2.

Michael,

Good to know, now I am going to search the KB and see if Tech Support is actually tracking this as an issue.

Sodaman,

they didn’t do something right. at a minimum it will take a heat sink, thermal compound and venting to stop this problem as a design issue.

I stopped watching it and let it cool over night, 8 hours later, no recordings, no use, and it is still “warm” to the touch. not a good thing.

I just ran up to Walmart and got a 14 buck variable speed 17 inch cool pad and will see what happens.

I would have run to Best Buy but it is Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday and the nearest Best Buy is a 50 mile round trip and I would have to pass through morning rush hour and drunks left over from Lundi Gras partying last night…not on my agenda for any reason!

Will post again if things cool down completely

UPDATE:

On Feb 27 I put in a ticket with support over this issue. On Feb 28 I bought a cool pad and several other members here indicated that having one solved or at least tempered several different type problems.

Today 1 March, I get up to an email from Tablo Support saying:

"Hi there,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been having issues with your Tablo. Let’s get this up and running.

We managed to review your Tablo’s logs and confirm that a firmware failure resulted in a brief period of inactivity. We intend to address this issue in our next firmware release - coming soon. Would you like us to add your Tablo to the upcoming firmware beta, so that you can get early access to this upgrade?"

I responded yes and asked that they escalate the heating complaints to the design team and whomever else needs to know about it, hopefully they will comply.

In the meantime know that they say there is a known “firmware” issue so anyone who has these various problems should open a support ticket.

I will post further when the firmware is updated.

Mike

1 Like

I had the same problem with over heating. My Table even lost power few times (NO BLUE LIGHT AT ALL) I had to pull the power cord out and plug it back in. Then I put a small fan to keep cool but I think the damage was done. I have a large amount of disconnect from device. I return mine for exchange and got a New one just right now. I will put it with the fan running and I will see how it will perform…

Good to know.

Right now the unit is still cool but currently the TV channels on live TV have started cutting in and out. That could be weather related, but it is cool and sunny here. moderate breeze but the antenna is inside so wind should not be a factor.

Will continue to monitor and once they install the newest “beta” firmware I will see what happens.

Thanks for the response

Mike

I got the box and is running with out any disconnect so far. The fan is on from the start.
Plus my LED is brighter then it was on the old box.

1 Like