Tablo Stalling out when fast forwarding a recorded program

I do have the Roku OS 8.0 version. Haven’t checked for more precise details. Kind of annoying that Roku issues should reflect on only one app - Tablo and not the other mainstream apps we use. I’m sympathetic in that I understand that Tablo’s development team is much smaller and has to cover a wide front, but it’s glitchy in so many aspects.

It does, however make it a really hard sell to convince my family that Tablo is our OTA solution.

I know that TIVO doesn’t support multiple devices, but I’m in the position that I’m strongly considering getting a TIVO for one TV so that my wife can have a better viewing experience.

I guess the Tablo team are fighting so many fires, they’re spread thin. I submitted this as a ticket on Sunday night. Other than the acknowledgement, I’ve not heard back from Support either.

All of my Roku’s have the 7.7 OS release and thus don’t have this problem at 1x, 2x, or 3x fast forward.

I believe tablo records OTA as a HLS file format and uses the HLS player available on most set top players. HLS is a large number of small files extending into the future - schedule end of recording.

Maybe it’s possible that 3x fast forward at the end of currently recording show could cause a file fetch beyond what has actually been recorded. Causing a timeout.

But since I record at 720p and am on the 7.7 Roku OS I don’t see the problem. Or maybe I realize that I’m almost at the end of the current recording position and don’t try to fast forward into the future.

Hey folks - We’re taking a closer look at this now that we have a few more Roku devices on 8.0.

Those of you experiencing issues, can you try going to your Roku’s settings and rebooting your Roku AT LEAST once?

Settings > System > Power > System Restart

Let us know how things go afterwards…

I updated my two Roku 3’s 4 or 5 days ago - and they work just fine. Can see NO difference compared to before update.

Did as you suggested. Not any better tonight. Actually is froze up when I was advancing using the “right arrow” button on the ROKU on a program that had already completed its’ recording cycle. I had to unplug my Tablo Machine in order for it to clear up. This has become very frustrating.

Also. the labels on my “live TV” guide have become very confused. The label descriptions do not match the actual channel. Though the channel is the correct channel-- just labeled incorrectly.

John D. Haeger

Next time it stalls like that, give it a few minutes - I’d say no more than 5 or so and see if it doesn’t automagically recover itself. It does for me.

I was seeing that as well yesterday before I rebooted the ROKU a few times. We’ll continue testing today and keep investigating. All of the info you guys can provide is helpful!

Updated my Roku 3 to version 8.0 4128 last night. The Roku locked up and rebooted twice while I was exiting shows on the Tablo. Do not see anything like this in the Roku forum. Anyone else having this issue? Have a solution?

Tried that and id didn’t work-- just sat there in a locked up position. Had to reboot system-- lost part of the program I was watching/recording. Aaarrrggghhh!!!

Maybe some problems are specific to the point release. I saw some posts where on 11/5 the 4200 roku 3 got release:

Software version 8.0.0, build 4108-04

Me Too! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Has now happened twice to me, both of mine were recorded shows, fast forwarding, get past the commercials, hit play, locks up.

Roku Ultra, 8.0.0.4132

Same thing happened to me last night on my 2nd gen. Amazon Fire Stick, so it’s not just Roku having issues. Also been having a lot of buffering and dropped connections. I’ve deleted the app and re-downloaded it after first clearing the data on the tablo app on my Fire Stick which didn’t work ,… restarted the tablo, restarted my cable/internet modem (paying for 50mbps internet speed but getting 65 to 70mbps consistently),… I don’t know what else I can do on my end.:roll_eyes:

I understand the the TABLO folks are probably stretched to get this problem addressed. However, this is becoming increasingly frustrating. The “freezing” problem continues and in most cases it has required a reboot of the Tablo system-- meaning losing recorded programming. It is happening when using ROKU to access TABLO as well as the LG Tablo App. It seems to be pointing to the TABLO device and the APPS which have been developed to link the system wirelessly. I have had Tablo for several months since we decided to “cut the cord” earlier this year. Before the past couple of weeks, the TABLO machine had lived up to its’ advertised capabilitiesToday. At this point it is turning out to be a pretty major
disappointment for me. I am ready to dump the TABLO and find another way… Help!!

Just last night while viewing a recorded 2 hour program and attempting to advance by using the FFWD feature of the RUKU or simply clicking to advance through the commercials, the thing froze/stuck four times. This morning while watching a one hour recorded news program and doing the same method to advance forward through the commercials, it has frozen/stuck five times. In all of these occasions mentioned above, i have had to reboot the system in order to view the rest of the program.

Sometimes I have have good results disconnecting and reconnecting my Roku from tge Tablo via the Roku app. Roku connected 2 via wifi. Version 7.7.

Thanks Neil0214. I have done that several times and it hasn’t alleviated the problem yet. I still think it is either my machine or the Tablo APP issue. Hope they get it resolved soon.

I’m very new, just having a TABLO for a few weeks and not having much experience using it.

I’ve seen this lockup twice now - both times while “chasing” eg watching the start of a program being recorded while the end was still recording. In the first case I just navigated out to ROKU home then back to the app numerous times, finally starting the view and the beginning again and finding the place that locked.

I am assuming the server doesn’t generate the indexing needed to thumbnail the video along the timeline until the recording is completed? I will say that FF with timestamps only is not nice.

The second time the stream locked on one ROKU but opened immediately on a second device. I’ll watch this thread for ideas.

I’m experiencing the same thing…repeated fast forwarding on my Roku locks up the entire Tablo.

I ran several tests today and concluded:

• Fast forwarding on Roku causes the issue
  • Sometimes as few as 5 fast forwards will lock it up
  • Sometimes up to 40 will go by w/ no issue but it eventually locks up every time
  • Here’s my use case: I’m hammering the ffwd – watching a football game and ffwd 25 seconds (5 clicks) between plays, repeatedly.

More testing details from today:

• Computer can hammer the ffwd or reverse w/ no issues
  • Computer playing a recording at the time the Roku issue happens stalls in ~2 mins
  • Cannot connect or stream anything live or recorded on the Tablo for between 5-15 minutes, but it does reset itself
  • Disconnecting the Roku from the Tablo does not fix the issue
  • Rebooting the Roku does not fix the issue

The only two things that seem to fix it are:

• Rebooting the Tablo
  • Waiting 5-15 minutes for it to clear.

My Roku software is 8.0.1 build 4018-55, model 3800X streaming stick

I have two of these sticks and it is happening with both.

TabloTV I’d love to see this fixed, please let us know what additional testing we can do to help.

You can stop doing testing, this is all because of the new Roku update (8.0). My Roku 3 started to freeze during ffw, reboot at the end of show and showing me black preview images, right after the update. For the moment I am lucky that one of my Roku 3 is still on firmware 7.7. This one is still working without any problems. Tablo have confirmed me that there is a problem with the new Roku update, and that they are discussing the problem with Roku.

1 Like

FFWD using the LG Smart TV TABLO APP also freezes.