Tablo Shortcomings (5.1 sound & channel surfing)

[quote=“bald2718281828, post:9, topic:14921”]
shoutout to fuddy duds who lurk on the board just to sling mud and fud ! [/quote]
Just because someone doesn’t agree with you does not necessarily mean they’re trolling, are trolls, or are trying to sling mud or FUD. (Btw: Don’t the rules of this forum say you’re supposed to avoid comments that don’t promote discussion? Is insulting those with a contrary view your idea of “promoting discussion?”)

[quote=“bald2718281828, post:9, topic:14921”]
5.1 sound is a vortex and will sap your life energy.[/quote]
Eh? How’s that?

Opinion Stated As Fact (OSAF). I agree stereo is better than x.1 surround for most music, but that’s because most music is mixed for stereo playback. Then again: My Eagles When Hell Freezes Over album is definitely better in 5.1 DTS, because it was mixed for 5.1 DTS playback.

Most movies are mixed for DD/DTS playback. I don’t know about run-of-the-mill TV series.

IMO sound is as much a part of the viewing enjoyment as the viewing component. Thus I have a fairly spendy 5.1 DD/DTS system, so I want 5.1 DD/DTS when the source is composed for DD/DTS.

Another advantage of true 5.1 DD/DTS is dialogue and the center channel. My hearing is not so good, these days. Sometimes I can get by w/o captions by having the center channel boosted by 3 or 6dB. That’s not nearly so effective with Dolby Pro Logic, and not at all with stereo.

You may be happy with stereo and that’s fine. I am not. I hope that’s ok with you.

My question is, if I can ask it without engendering a flame war: Will Tablo eventually support 5.1 DD or not? If the answer is a definitive “no” I can quit this place and never again darken your door. If the answer is “yes,” or even “maybe”: I’ll check back in from time-to-time to see if it’s happened yet.

2 Likes

The answer has never been definitely no, so I recommend you check back every so often.

Tablo has been great at adding new features over the past 4 years and has listened to customers.

1 Like

Very well and thanks for the reply.

Right now we’re using a ChannelMaster DVR+ for DVR’ing. I’d planned to switch to a SD HDHomeRun, but have become quite disillusioned with them :frowning:

I guess what we’ll do is stick with the DVR+ until it either dies or CM turns off the EPG, then give the landscape another look.

i was slightly disappointed in the 5.1 surround sound support as well, but I got over it, while i have a HDHomeRun box, I find that using NPVR was a royal pain at every update, The manual recording was hit and miss,

TabloTV was the only one which allows Out of market streaming of your local TV stations and DVR content while connected to the Internet from anywhere.

Perhaps ATSC 3.0 (NextGen TV) with the new TV standard TabloTV will 1. have a product which will record the 4K Standard, and record the sound natively. Since it will recording in H.265 codec. 2. Perhaps TabloTV will use a faster processor to handle the 4K standard.

While the new standard for UHD TV comes out, there is still time, since no one can watch it anyway, accept for a few beta testers in 3 markets, time is on their side, for a least a few years.

Bonus: To my knowledge, that out subscriptions to the guide on the new devices will work.

Now there’s also Plex DVR. Is is “ready”? Sort of. Is it as reliable as Tablo? No. But for live TV viewing anywhere, it might have an edge on the Tablo because it doesn’t require pairing. Roku app lacks ability to setup recordings. Grid view is only on web and maybe recently Apple TV.

IMHO, it’s not a great DVR. But it’s better than Tablo for remote Live TV.

That’s why I’m still checking back from time to time. 5.1 DD was promised 4+ years ago when I got the Tablo, in that time frame there were a lot of excuses and new stories.

Is it possible they’ll eventually release it? Sure.
Is it likely (based on the past 4 years)? IMO No.

1 Like

[quote=“Max, post:26, topic:14921”]
That’s why I’m still checking back from time to time. 5.1 DD was promised 4+ years ago when I got the Tablo, in that time frame there were a lot of excuses and new stories.[/quote]
That does not bode well for 5.1 ever happening :frowning:

Very well.

Well, like I said: I’ll be taking my leave, for now, and check back in the future. Thanks for the additional info, everybody!

Well, we’ve solved at least one of these:

4 Likes

5.1 sound!?? How dare you! I was hoping for a mono sound option. Now I’m going to have to drop thou$and$ upgrading my audio $y$tem into something from this millennium. As for a cisco stock play in 1992, good call to both pinheads and non-pinheads who made it! Nice! Regarding the quality software in the cisco gear, it was my pleasure to make it for you and you are most welcome for it . You are soaking in it! ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzmTtusvjR4 )

It wasn’t hard to pick Cisco stock. Many of the Fortune 500 companies using our product were all going to or recently switched to Cisco routers.

Of course the Cisco router heart beat feature was a pain in the ass. Nothing like a router connecting to the server target port and then instead of performing a normal close protocol , and if I remember correctly, sent a fin-wait-2. And to the server app it looked like a DoS attack. Which resulted on notifications being sent.