Tablo Ripper Performance

I’m running Tablo 2.4.3. It takes about eight minutes to download a thirty minute show. Is this what others are experiencing?

Can’t speak for Tablo Ripper, but surlatablo.py extracts the raw ts from the Tablo in about 118 seconds or less. Remux to mp4 takes about 1 second. Commercial removal takes the longest at 43 (search) + 3 (remove) + 68 (full transcode) seconds.

## (3036660) blackish - s07e09 - black-out ##
        Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 08:00 PM
        WFAA(ABC) - 1080i [0:31:08]
        Tablo: 192.168.1.203

Description:
        When the power goes out in the neighborhood, Dre's instinct is to go into
        survival mode and stockpile essentials; Junior desperately searches for a place
        to charge his phone to get in touch with Olivia.

Anthony Anderson;Tracee Ellis Ross;Yara Shahidi;Marcus Scribner;Miles Brown;Marsai Martin;Laurence Fishburne;Jenifer Lewis;Peter Mackenzie

Working on:                             [./TV/blackish/Season 7/blackish - s07e09 - black-out]
 Retrieving Tablo Data (3036660):       [################### ] 97% Elapsed seconds 118.0
 Transcoding (Gif, .gif):               [####################] 100% Elapsed seconds 1.0
 Transcoding (Mp4, .mp4):               [####################] 100% Elapsed seconds 2.0
 Searching for commercials:             [####################] 100% Elapsed seconds 43.0
 Removing commercials (z1):             [####################] 100% Elapsed seconds 3.0
 Transcoding (Mp4zap1, -z.mp4):         [####################] 100% Elapsed seconds 68.0
 Executing (dumpJson, .json)

Network topology plays a role as well.

Unerstand, it doesn’t simply “dowload” a recording.

I just ripped a 30 min episode. My Tablo is set to record at 720-5mbps. It took 2 mins and 10 secs.

1 Like

That makes sense. I am set for HD 1080 - 8 Mbps. Did you experiment with different recording quality levels before settling on 720-5mbps?

Both the Tablo and the target PC are on WiFi through an Xfinity Internet Gateway. When I run SpeedTest on the PC I consistently get ~230Mbps

I had mine set to 720-5 for the longest time. Then one day I thought I’d try the highest level. It worked fine and we did see a noticeable difference in the recordings picture quality. But it’s a difference quite frankly that does not matter much to us. Most of what we watch in in the soft and nostalgic 480i (Green Acres and such).

The thing that made me change it back to 720 was in the size of ripped recordings. I recorded a few episodes while it was set to 1080 and ripped them. I don’t remember the exact numbers but I believe they were around 4 times bigger than when I had it set to 720. I may be off on that number.

Note: that setting is maximum for broadcast which use it. Not necessarily every recording will have those parameters.

That was the wireless speed? Device to wireless Access Point (xfinity) nothing internet.

Thanks for that info. I really helps.

I tend to capture most things from PBS and view them on a 65" TV. So I think I’ll end up just living with the slow ripping speed to get the better picture quality.

That speed was Internet to PC via the Xfinity device. The Wi-Fi speed is at least that fast, but likely faster. I’m sure how I would find the PC to Xfinity device speed.

Don’t upgrade to the new Tablo or the new UI when it’s available as Tablo Ripper does not work with it.

1 Like