Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

Thanks - your log shows TabloRipper was looking for your Tablo, but couldn’t find it. I can’t explain why Tablo Exporter did find it (assuming it was running on the same computer). I believe they both use the same discovery method.

However, if you assign a static IP address (using your router) to your Tablo, then you can enter that into TabloRipper and it won’t bother looking. It’ll just connect directly.

Did a complete virus scan, detected and removed some threats…
There we go! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t have guessed that one. Well done!

1 Like

Oh, not again!
2019-12-07 12:54:14 PM Exception: Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed.
All I did was changed one of the ffmpeg options.
I wonder if it’s the Windows Firewall.

Changing an FFMPEG option should not result in that particular error.

Context helps when looking at the log file - was it just after the “GetTabloRecordingList” step again? If so, it’s the same problem you saw last time around.

Yes it is.
Disabled the firewall in Windows, that wasn’t the issue after all.

Hello. I added a NAS to my network and I can no longer get automated rips to go to the NAS folder that is mapped to the PC. This is the error in the logs.

AM Exception: Could not find part of the path ‘N:\tmp’

I tried changing the use the tabloripper service runs under and that didn’t help. Is it possible to use a network drive to rip to?

Most likely, you’re having a permission problem accessing your output folder on the NAS. if you can rip in the foreground, but not background, that means your windows user has access, but the TabloRipper service doesn’t.

One easy solution is to change the user the service is “running as” to your user. Or, change permissions on your NAS output folder to allow “everyone” write access and not use Windows drive mapping to reference your folder (since it won’t be mapped for the service user).

It does work in the foreground. I tried a different user for the service but I guess it’s not the correct user. I’ll play around with the folder permissions as well. Thanks!

I think it is working now. I had to change the password of the user on my DSM to match the password of the user account on the Windows 10 PC. One more test after a recording in an hour and we’ll see. All other suggested workarounds did not work.

Glad you found a way to get it going.

My first time posting, and this is a really long post.

I downloaded and installed Tablo Ripper yesterday, with the goal of backing up my recordings on my Tablo.

From my laptop, that is connected to my home network via a wired 1G connection, Table Ripper found my Tablo straight away.

Where I need some help is where the best place, or should I say the fastest place to send the backups to.

At first I chose my NAS (WD My Cloud Mirror), that connects to my home network via a network cable, and does not have a USB connection that would allow it to connect to the USB port on my laptop.
After reading almost every post on this thread, I decided to turn on logging, so that I could watch the transfer speed.

I selected all of my shows that was on my Tablo, and not entirely understanding the DOS window that pops up when doing the backups of my shows, I noticed that the bitrate was just over 3000, and the speed showed 3.31x.

I let that run for several hours, and I only got about two shows backed up to my NAS.

So I cancelled that backup and decided to try changing the backup to a directory on my one of the partitions on my laptop, and that backup speed was even slower.

My laptop is high end, has two hard drives, one internal, and one external:
Internal addlink M.2 PCIE G3x4 NVMe 2TB
Advertised Read 3,500MB/s/Write 3,000MB/s
My DiskMark Read Sequential 1MiB 3239.196 MB/s, Write Sequential 1MiB 2982.897 MB/s
External Sabrent Rocket Pro 2TB USB 3.2 External Aluminum SSD, connected via USB C
Advertised 3D TLC NAND Flash memory, its performance speeds can reach up to 1000MB/s
My DiskMark Read Sequential 1MiB 959.026 MB/s, Write Sequential 1MiB 985.494 MB/s

So I’m confused.

Where is the best place to send my Tablo backups to?
What are others using?

My Tablo stores my files on a WD My Book 2TB.

I started Tablo Ripper again before I went to bed last night, and let it run overnight, and now almost 12 hours later I only have 8 shows (that are 1 hour each) on my NAS, and at this rate, it is going to take weeks to complete this backup.

Are others having this same issue?

I don’t mind if I need to buy something different to get these backups running at a reasonable completion time.

I wish Tablo Ripper could tell me how many shows that I have chosen to backup.

Also I don’t understand once I get all this figured out, and get my first backup completed, how do I get rid of shows that I have backed up, once I have watched them?

I don’t need to keep backups of shows that I have watched.

So to summarize all my questions:
1-Where is the best place to send my Tablo backups to?
2-What are others using, as far as what hard drives that their Table stores there files on, and what hard drives are they backing up to, and what choices have they selected for this backup?
3-Are others having this same issue, in that their backups are taking weeks?
4-Is there a way to tell how many shows that I select in Table Ripper, before I select start?
5-Is there a way to automatically delete from my backup folder location, shows that I have watched, or do I have to manually write down which shows that I have watched, and then manually delete them one at a time from my backup folder location?
6-I see the “New” checkbox, and have read what it means, but still don’t understand it. Once I get a backup working, in a reasonable amount of time, the next time I run Tablo Ripper, if I don’t want it running automatically in the background (which I also don’t understand), how will Tablo Ripper know which shows were recorded on my Tablo hard drive, so that only those new shows get backed up?

Sorry for so many questions, and such a long post.

Best Regards,

Robert

I forgot to include that all of my shows are 1 hour shows, and ripped on my NAS they are showing between 1.3 GB and 1.5 GB.

Best Regards,

Robert

The problem is that Tablo Ripper is not just copying the files, it’s also transcoding them at the same time. So your speed is more limited by the CPU power of your laptop than the write speed of the drives.

I don’t use Tablo Ripper, so I don’t know what options it has for speeding up the transcode. I use SurLaTablo, which is a Python script. I also run it on a 12-core Mac Pro with 40GB of RAM, so it runs pretty fast.

By default, Tablo Ripper copies your shows, which is slightly faster than transcoding, but @flyingdriver is correct, the rate limiting step is how fast your Tablo can send a show to your PC.

This step is handled by FFMPEG (I believe most other rippers use this same package), so to speed things up, you need a quicker PC. But ultimately, your Tablo is the choke point.

PS - TabloRipper has an option to delete shows after ripping.

PPS - TabloRipper maintains a list of what has been ripped, so you don’t need to worry about what’s ‘new’. It already knows. The ‘new’ checkbox merely shows you that info.

As a reference point, when I was actively using Tablo Ripper with default settings, writing to a 2TB WD My Cloud connected via gigabit connection, it was taking 7-15 minutes to complete the process on a 1 hour show. But I was running Tablo Ripper on a desktop with a Ryzen 5 2600 and 16GB RAM.

1 Like

Same here - that’s about as good as it gets! Thanks :sunglasses:

I can’t imagine my $2,500 Dell XPS with an Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical processor, and 32 GB of RAM isn’t fast enough to backup these up in a reasonable amount of time!

@Nilex stated their backups were taking between 7-15 minutes to backup a 1 hour show, but I’m seeing 2-3 hours per show, so what am I missing here?

So far this is not a viable solution at this point with this configuration and settings and hardware.

@CycleJ, you stated after the backup it deletes the backup. That is not what I asked. I do NOT want to delete anything from my Tablo’s external hard it uses to store my shows. I want to delete from the backup folder, any shows that I have watched and deleted. So does Tablo Ripper have this capability, because if not, that would be way too much work having to manually write down on a piece of paper what shows I’ve watched and deleted, and then go to the backup folder and delete the ripped backup.
And I don’t get what you mean by it copies my shows from my Table to my backup folder, because in my backup folder are all .mp4 files, not some file format that I would think that I would not recognize, that Tablo stores on my Tablo external hard drive.

So if this software isn’t going to be able to do what I thought it can do, is there a better solution?

Best Regards,

Robert

Wired Tablo time example (using SurLaTablo):

## (2013120) The Blacklist - s06e18 - The Brockton College Killer ##
        Friday, April 26, 2019 at 07:00 PM
        KXAS-DT(NBC) - 1080i [1:01:16]
        Tablo: 192.168.1.203

Description:
        The task force is drawn into the investigation of an old case that has gained
        notoriety due to a popular true crime podcast; Red visits Dom Wilkinson for
        help making a difficult decision; Ressler makes a discovery about Katarina
        Rostovas past.

James Spader;Megan Boone;Diego Klattenhoff;Harry Lennix;Ryan Eggold;Mozhan Marnò;Hisham Tawfiq;Amir Arison

Working on:                             [./TV/The Blacklist/Season 6/The Blacklist - s06e18 - The Brockton College Killer]
 Retrieving Tablo Data (2013120):       [####################] 100% Elapsed seconds 144.0
 Transcoding (Mp4, .mp4):               [####################] 100% Elapsed seconds 3.0

Extraction at 144 seconds is what takes the time. As you can see, default recontainerization doesn’t take anytime at all. That extraction time can be reduced… (ah… the future)…

I’m using the recommend 720 5Mbps setting for recordings.

SurLaTablo does not delete the recording unless you specify that as an option. I’d be surprised if there isn’t an option to Tablo Ripper to prevent the deletion. I means, sometimes you want to reprocess a recording off the Tablo.

Sorry, misunderstood what you wanted to delete. And no, TabloRipper can’t keep track of what ripped shows you’ve finished watching. That’s why I used Plex to watch - it keeps track, but doesn’t auto-delete.

FFMPEG has an option (used by TabloRipper) to perform a copy of the input file. So the output format matches what you recorded. Transcoding, which takes longer, changes the output format.

Sounds like you have a fast PC, so you’re stuck with how fast your Tablo sends data. It was designed to playback at normal speed, not 10x quicker.

Perhaps you’re recording at the highest quality? That’ll take longer to send than lowering it to the ‘recommended’ quality.

So try the other rippers, see if they’re quicker? I suspect the timing will be quite similar for the same show.

1 Like