Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

This program is awesome! I’ve got 2 questions:

Is there a way to start the Tablo Ripper service when my computer starts?
Is there a way to put my recordings back on the Tablo after MCEBuddy does it’s thing?

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words!

First question - the background service is a regular old windows service that’s set to start automatically. When your PC is running, so is that service.

Second question - there’s no way to import videos on the tablo, so you can’t get the from here. Having said that, the are many people using Plex to host their ripped files, including myself. You can download the Plex server for free and run it on the same PC you’re using for ripping.

Thanks for the quick response!

I wasn’t sure if all services start when Windows starts, so thanks for clearing that up.

I use Plex currently, but the forward/rewind of the Tablo works much better in my opinion.

I’m not sure when it improved, but the current plex-pass server supports thumbnails when the FF/RW button is used. I agree, Tablo’s better, but hey, with MCEBuddy you’ll need to skip far less frequently!

PS: The background service stop/start button in TabloRipper merely tells the background service if it’s OK to rip. It doesn’t actually stop/start the service.

Hi there; I have almost filled up my 500 gb hard drive for my tablo. I have a new 2 TB hdd that I can use, but I want to get all my old recordings (From the 500 gb one) on the new one. How should I go about doing that? I am relatively computer smart, but I’m a Mac user.

1 Like

There are several other solutions that’ll work on your Mac - check this category:
https://community.tablotv.com/c/tablo-apps/third-party-apps-plex

Or, to run TabloRipper, you can follow the link in this topic:

PS: once you’ve ripped the files on your smaller drive, there’s no way to import them back to the larger drive. Tablo doesn’t do ‘import’.

Thanks for the great app. I have “Delete after ripping” selected. However, the recordings are not being removed from the Tablo. I have to manually delete. This was working but not now. Any suggestions?

First step is to enable logging, rip a show, then look at the log file. If the problem isn’t obvious to you, send it to me using a PM.

@cyclej - Thanks for the adding the new email notifications for schedule conflicts and if my Tablo appears off-line. :clap::clap:

1 Like

I did something to make Tablo Ripper delete all of my stuff, but I’m not sure what. If you put an extra “.” at the end of the list of shows in the “Auto-Delete after X episodes” box, would the program delete everything?

My “Delete after ripping” box isn’t checked and I hadn’t ripped most of my shows that got deleted anyway.

Use a PM to send me contents of your c:\ProgramData\TabloRipper\Settings.xml file and I’ll see if I can figure it out. Ok?

It’s a bug (now fixed and released on GitHub). Turns out an extra “comma” creates a filter matching ALL recordings. And as you found out, that’s not a good thing for AutoDelete.

Thank you for working with me to figure out what was going on.

What actually starts and stops it then? I just installed over the weekend and it works great in the Foreground but I can’t get it to pick up anything automatically. All users have fully access to the output folder so that’s not an issue. Thanks!

When you install it, the installation asks for “admin” rights so it can install/start the background service. It’s like any other Windows service, and you can see/control it using the control panel. It’s configured to run automatically, so normally there’s nothing you’d need to do.

Try clicking the “New?” option in the GUI recording list. Anything in the list? If so, that’s what the background service will rip for you - automatically.

If you have “new” recordings, and you’re not seeing any results, please enable “Logging”, let it run another 10-15 minutes, then send me your log file (use a PM since you won’t want to share it with everyone).

Yeah it’s running as a Service automatically. Oddly enough the one recording in there didn’t show up when I clicked “New?”. I’m not sure why though as it was never processed and just recorded recently. I’ll record a show this morning and see if it works on it. If it doesn’t I’ll send you the log. Either way I’ll update the thread.

You can right-click on your one recording, and mark it as “new”. Then see what happens.

Brand new recording, didn’t get processed. It’s sitting in the Recordings in Tablo Ripper but if I click “New?” it disappears. Not sure why it wouldn’t be considered new. Thoughts? Sent you a PM about the log file too.

1 Like

Interestingly I’m having a very similar issue. I did upgrade to 2.3.1 around the same time the problem started it looks like. I didn’t notice it until today I opened Plex but it appears Tablo Ripper hasn’t been processing new recordings automatically overnight for the last several days.

I had a problem long ago where the log showed the service didn’t have rights to my NAS so after we worked on that and got it figured now after every install I go into the Service and specify the necessary credentials and that has always worked. That also wouldn’t seem the problem now because the log doesn’t show that rights related error at all.

I tested by recording a random show this morning and configuring Tablo Ripper to run at a time starting a couple of hours after that show stopped recording. The show does NOT show up when I click New? even though when I right-click the show the only option is Mark as ‘NOT new’? implying it thinks it’s already flagged as New.

So it’s almost like it’s not actually seeing it as new when scanning to determine what to process.

I’ll PM you the relevant portion of the log. It looks like it logged the show as new according to the flags, it just didn’t process it.

1 Like

I had a similar issue this morning as well. I updated TR to 2.3.1 yesterday morning and this morning TR did not process any new recordings.

When I select the “New?” filter from the TR UI, it does not filter any of the new recordings.

I was able to rip them in the foreground with no issue.

1 Like

@TheFivePack @Nilex @tickko Doh! You guys are the “rip everything” bunch, aren’t ya? My overzealous attempt at fixing the AutoDelete list broke the “select filter is blank” use case.

Version 2.3.2 is on it’s way up to GitHub now.

Thanks for the quick poke-in-the-eye. Should be all better now.

2 Likes