Tablo recordings to Plex server

Hey folks!

Just wanted to share a tool I put together for other Linux folks like myself. I have a Plex server running on a CentOS distribution of Linux and have been wanting to find a way to move/organize my Tablo DVR recordings to it.

The solution I’ve devised is a Docker container with a “Capto” installation and custom Python script that queries the Tablo every night and moves the recordings to the appropriate directory. For example, TV recordings will be put in the folder "/TV/Show Name/Season Number/Show Title.mp4 so that Plex can index and display them properly.

For those who would find it helpful, the dockerhub link is https://hub.docker.com/r/rwalsh3711/tablo_to_plex/

Here are quick start instructions. Please let me know if you run across any issues or have ideas for improvement!

Instructions

Prerequisites:

1. This docker image needs to be run from a system with mounted access to your parent Plex repository directory.

2. The Plex parent directory should have three folders named “TV”, “Movies” and “Sports” to match the Tablo DVR recording labels.

Steps for usage:

1. Copy the docker file contents below into a file called “Dockerfile”

2. Modify the Docker file line “ENV TABLO_IP” and replace “0.0.0.0” with your Tablo’s IP address

3. Build your docker image with the following command: “docker build -t tablo_to_plex .”

4. Run the docker image either manually or as a cron job using the following options: “docker run -v /path/to/your/Plex/directory:/Plex tablo_to_plex”

End of Instructions

Start of Dockerfile

FROM rwalsh3711/tablo_to_plex:latest
WORKDIR /app
ENV TABLO_IP 0.0.0.0
CMD [“python”, “tablo_query”]

End of Dockerfile

Wishing this could run on Mac OS X. Is there a way to do that?

You bet. That’s the nice thing about docker. You can run the containers anywhere you can install docker. Here’s where you can download docker for Mac:

https://www.docker.com/docker-mac

I’m going tto give this a shot this weekend. I’ll provide any feedback you need. Just bear with me, this is all new for me!

K so I have Docker for amc installed, but I have no idea how to create the Docker itself.

Apologies for the handholding and being a noob.

Actually I have no idea what I’m doing here…

What about commercials? I have the tablo ripper pulling the videos down and naming them appropriately then using MCE Buddy to rip out commercials and dump the files to a directory which WincSCP watches and uploads to Plex.

I have Qnap running my Plex server and it’d be awesome the containerize the table ripper and mce buddy apps so it’s all internal to the Qnap storage… Thoughts?

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully, I can get some help. First, I am new to this docker stuff. I have done a day or so of reading and searching, but can’t quite wrap (no pun intended) my head around all of it.

I cannot find any definitive answer to this question:

Where is the best practice location for a “dockerfile”?

Should I create a folder in my home directory, or somewhere wtihin the image. If within the image, where can I find that?

Thanks for any help.