Tablo really needs to improve quickly or they'll lose even the early adopters

When I first had my issue with build 2.2.2 I also mentioned the issue of newbies walking away from Tablo. Since 2.2.6 the roku/Tablo combination has become somewhat more stable but I have my record set on a low resolution which, all by itself is unacceptable. I have continued to stick with what works - Apple TV and Tablo. I just do not like having to use AirPlay so will be looking forward to a native Apple TV app. As for Roku 3… will gift it to my son the minute I take delivery on Apple TV 4 next week.

Glad that worked for you, but it has done nothing - at all - to change the slow loading performance of my Roku 3 and Roku 4 devices. Both are slower than they were before 2.2.6.

Sorry to hear that. I forgot to mention that I record on the 720 recommended setting. I only have 2 1080 stations and I honestly am VERY happy with Tablo pic at 720. From what I have read on this site it appears that a lot of people are trying to run 1080 without a robust wifi setup and equipment. While my dsl is only 5.1Mbps the two Airport Expresses are solid. Again some wanting top of line performance with old equipment.

I’m glad that Tablo is performing well per your standard, but I’m afraid I have to disagree with your statement that “some wanting top of the line performance with old equipment”. Many people who experienced issues have already indicated that they have pretty decent equipment and internet bandwidth, and one should not blame a customer for expecting top performance when their expectation was totally within the spec of the product. If we look at the recent posts, we can see that most, if not all, of the issues have to do with Roku and the latest Tablo firmware. I have Roku 3 (2015), Nexus Player, and Fire TV (2nd gen), and I can personally attest that the instability and LPW issues only happen on Roku but not on the other devices (the Roku was hardwired to my gigabit network). I can fully understand how annoying it would be to see the LPW message as frequent as once per minute (it varies depending on the recorded program in my experience); and to be very honest, if I had not tried the Nexus Player and Fire TV, I probably would have switched to Tivo already :smiley:

Some general followup comments:

1. I have opened multiple support ticket with Tablo. They advised that increasing resolution will only increase the likelihood of problems and their research has indicated that resolution has no effect on FF reboots. They have been unable to come up with any solution to this other than to blame it on Roku.
  2. I doubt my network is a factor as it’s far from budget - I have a DOCSIS 3 modem with 50 mbps download and 5 mbps upload connected to an HP 1 gigabit managed switch using a Ubiquity UniFi access point for wifi. I experience similar reliability issues whether on wifi or hardwired.
  3. I have rebooted, modem, router, Tablo and Rokus more times than I can count with no change in delayed to load or FF reboots
  4. I have been patient waiting over a year since original purchase and working through Tablo tech support before finally posting my frustration. No end to the issues is in sight and recent firmware changes making things worse, not better, is kind of the last straw for me.

I had great hopes for Tablo and initially recommended it to others. I believe I have been patient in giving them time to work out the kinks in what appeared to be a great product. If it in fact worked as advertised, I would still feel that way. Good ideas are useless if not properly executed and sadly, that is where I find myself. I sincerely hope that Tablo pays attention and addresses some of these concerns before it’s too late and a good idea goes under or gets abandoned due to poor execution and not responding to customer concerns.

Just curious - have you tried Tablo on any platform other than Roku, and if so have you had the same problems?

xxxx cccc xx cc

And I don’t either (using 3 Roku units), but I am curious whether notwithstanding that Roku is the single largest platform for Tablo, are there disproportionately more problems with the Tablo/rRoku interface? Based on nothing more than speculation, it feels to me like the answer is “yes.”

If I were having the Tablo/Roku problems, I probably would try an anternative to Roku (e.g., Amazon Fire) before abandoning Tablo, but that’s just my personal take.

It seems like some users want to ignore some problems that are obviously server side and have nothing to do with roku. You are just as likely to have these problems using the WEB app especially since 2.2.2: tablo discovery, connect failures, slower scheduled/recording loading, corrupted database, etc.

But October 1st is the start of the holiday shopping season. So most consumer products concentrate on pushing new product or product updates out the door.

Not sure anyone is ignoring anything. I have never had a Tablo problem on the Roku, the Chrome web app, my adroid phone or android tablet. Others obviously have had problems. I am simply raising a question of whether there are disproportionate numbers of problems on Roku as compared to the other platforms. I am curious what others think about that.

Then why do so many posts in this thread talk about Roku or Roku problems. And how life could be much better if users switched to another media player?

jdoe, I’ve got Roku’s on 4 TVs in my house, I like having a consistent interface everywhere. Right now, my Tablo can’t be accessed from anywhere, not even Android, IPad or computer, and I just invested in Roku 4 to fix some of the performance issues.

The problem on Roku4 was identical to Roku3, no performance difference in playback. The “Loading Please Wait” still occurs in the same place. Since Roku issues seem to be getting lost at certain frames during playback (consistent which frame it is), reboots when you FF and hit play on a frame, and I’ve experienced very inconsistent wait times when FF and hit play, sometimes in an infinite wait, but I get instant playback when I FR 1 frame from the stuck spot (frame is there, and plays instantly). It seems like the ROKU Tablo app may be getting confused with the frame to play, and either takes time to get to the right frame, or just crashes the ROKU. Just my thoughts, but these issues may all be inter-related, and not ROKU performance related from what I’ve seen.

My network should be able to handle the bandwith of a 1080P show. ROKU should be able to handle it, especially since ROKU4 is touted to handle 4K streaming. I have a gut feel (since I program RT streaming with another app), that it’s a frame calculation issue/synch problem that exists only with the ROKU Tablo app. Perhaps, frame/time return issue when you FF or play. I’ve had instances where TABLO will jump backwards a few seconds and keep playing the same loop over and over.

First a big thank you to everyone who posts in these forums. I have been an avid Tablo user for most of the year and your comments and advice have immeasurably enhanced the experience, and offered very practical help. You have also allowed me to be part of a community, even as a silent participant to have modern kind of “water cooler moments” about TV. Second, a huge thank you to the folks behind Tablo. It is brilliantly conceived and provides exactly the base of core services I wish.

I have signed in, though, to add my voice, and to add another customer’s request to @tabloceo and @tablotv. I am a veteran software company CEO and I know how exhilarating, challenging, rewarding, and uncertain these kinds of things are. I’ve deeply admired the spirit of good will and relative openness you’ve shown in Nuvyyo (such as this forum). I think what is called for now - and you are seeing a rising chorus for it - is a new level of comprehensive candor.

I am very lucky in that I have a very high-end, robust installation and I have stayed on the pre-2.2.2 firmware from past experience of waiting to see what happens - which incidentally works very well with the beta Roku app. As a result, my Tablo experience on all receiver platforms (and I use all platforms) continues to be excellent. Of course I am stuck until and unless the new firmware’s bugs are sorted, and although I understand why you are profoundly reluctant to offer the option of rolling back to firmware 2.1.30 (let alone the possible technical challenge of making different firmwares loadable), I deeply feel for all those whose Tablo experience is now so degraded (even with some feature upgrades).

My hunch is two things are going on inside the company: 1) you have to watch your competition and not give them any competitive sticks to hit you with, especially with the holiday sales season upon us, and 2) you don’t know how to solve (perhaps even to isolate) the problems introduced, or let loose, with 2.2.2 and 2.2.6. Whether that is right or not, I empathize with the situation your are in.

You really, I think, need to give us champions of your product and company a way to keep the faith, though. You are at a tipping point, I think. So, one customer’s advice is to either tell us the clear roadmap you are following to fix this (pull back the curtain, as difficult as this is, and let us know really, in detail, where you are), or, tell us that you don’t know what’s wrong, but outline the kinds of steps you are taking (other than asking for bug reports) and what your fallback is if you cannot resolve it by X date. One possibility: re-releasing old firmware 2.1.30; I know you don’t want to do that after all the effort of rewriting the operating system, and the reasons for a new OS, but by some X date, you’ve go to get back to a pretty much universally stable product.

We’re at the point that business openness is the most important thing for Nuvyyo’s future, I think. I am fairly sure you don’t have the resources many imagine you do (or that you wish to have some day), and I know what’s it’s like trying to project confident scale (like painting Number 7 on the side of a company’s only truck), but we admire what you have done and you are past the point that you can afford more negative reviews on Amazon. Let your community of supporters inside the tent and give us a reason to cheer you, instead of hoping we’ll stand by.

It is time for something real from @tabloceo - first a candid statement of where you are, what you are doing, and what your fallback plans are, and then even something as radical as moving Roku out of main product support, if the rest of the bugs with other receivers are genuinely rare or clearly fixable with time, or rolling back the firmware for Roku users. My external sense is that you’ve about used up the time prior goodwill will buy you, and you need to build some more. Seeing the spirit with which you have run things to date, I know you will receive this in the spirit of best wishes it is offered.

This is a brilliant innovation. Thank you for it.
(And thanks to the Community for tolerating the long post.)

1 Like

I am truly baffled by the current Roku/Tablo situation. Some have all kinds of trouble (with different network setups, Roku models, recording qualities, etc.), while other don’t experience any issues at all.

My Tablo got queued to update to 2.2.6 late in the cycle, and I got to read about the 2.2.6 problems people were encountering. With some trepidation I updated, and the first time I access the Recordings screen it took much longer than usual - and I thought that I was going to have the same issues - but the next day everything was back to normal access times. There has to be more going on here than meets the eye. I hope that @TabloSupport can get to the bottom of it.

I upgraded to 2.2.2 firmware and not 2.2.6. I noticed a performance difference between 2.1.x and 2.2.2 when loading the recording list, etc. And the performance gets worse when a tuner is in use, i.e. the tablo is actually doing work.

And I’m not a digital hoarder. I have two tablos and only keep a few non-watched recordings on the tablo servers.

xxxx cccc xx cc

2 Likes

xxxx cccc xx cc

I would like to see an official bug tracker that would allow users to know if an issue they are experiencing is already known and documented - ideally with some info on resolution as I stated here:

You will never know the actual bug list unless there is a class action suit (or arbitration) and you ask for “discovery”. Even then you would probably be restricted on disclosing what was “discovered”.

Sodaman_2000 - You say “If you want top of the line audio and video performance, open your wallet and pay for it!!”. While I can’t speak for others, I am not expecting anything more than what Tablo was advertised to provide so I’m not sure what your point is? Are you suggesting we shouldn’t be disappointed if we bought a device that advertised 1080P capability but it doesn’t even seem capable of performing reliably at 720P?