Tablo Quad runs HOT!

Not surprising, I’ve removed this heat sink on mine and have the fan instead. Zero issues so far and my HDD runs at around 38C. Not awesome but far far better then stock. If you can get a picture of the bottom without the case so everyone can see what we’re talking about. The heat sink on the bottom bonds to the board via a sil pad. It’s just a terrible design with the internal hard drive.

Manufacturing industry learned, if you make something that will last 20yrs… you’re not going to make another sale for 20yrs :frowning:

Unless it’s an Apple product in which case you have 37 working devices in good condition in your closet.

You may have 37 Apple devices that work in your closet but various functionality has been crippled by IOS updates.

Don’t have the 02-CN anymore but from the pic I can see what you’re saying - that large metal heat spreader right behind the drive compartment covering almost the entire area.

Considering that heat rises it’s amazing that so much is radiating through the plastic vent holes. With a drive blocking the area, it becomes a heatspeader as well. One can only imagine how hot that plate must be, and this is in addition to the silpad-attached heat spreader contraption on the top cover. All those heatsinks are really doing heroics to cool the unit, and even then it was borderline enough that Tablo carved a space out for a fan in case needed. I say it’s needed.

They didn’t do the fan correctly, if you don’t block off the vents right around the fan much of the air just blows right back out nearest the fan. I used clear tape to block most of the vents.

I will say they at least used capacitors that can handle the heat for many years to come.

So I did a little digging into the answer of the new model #. I was told that different re-sellers like Best Buy and Amazon receive different model#'s by Tablo customer service. So I post a quite to the new buyers on Amazon on what model # they are receiving. 3 people responded to me and the each said the received the 02-CN model. It comes off as Tablo was trying to hide the new model # change or the customer service has no idea what they are talking about and just throwing answer out there to see what sticks. So my conclusion is there was a design/hardware change to the Quad with the new shipment they receive from their manufacture about a month ago. It would be nice to get a truthful answer from Tablo.

But for Tech they designer just discontinue service to force you to update(Tablo isn’t a manufacturer, they only design and contract a foundry to make device). A good example is the last Channel Master DVR. They quick servicing the device and turned off features last July. Rendering the device useless as a DVR.

The “02” was the model that was last certified in August. So it existed before August.

Very few electronics are manufactured by the companies that sell them. And most are made in China in plants contracted for their manufacture. I don’t remember seeing a picture of Tim Cook turning a spade of dirt on the new Apple plant that will manufacture Iphones.

But Jimmy Hoffa is alive and well. Retired and living the good life in Las Vegas. I just saw him at an Elvis concert.

So I am going to buy the Quad with an external hard drive to avoid the heat issue, this black Friday. It would just be really nice if Tablo would address this with their foundry in China, As the foundry could fix the heat issue very quickly.

1 Like

I have multiple units. Two older OG models that have less ventilation then the newer models and a dual 64. I find it hard to believe that users would find internal flash as cool as units using external HDD.

The dual 64 is very toasty. My heat solution was to raise the units off the surface by using small 1 inch by 1 inch pieces, making sure the surface is a type that doesn’t retain heat, and keeping the disk drive away from the unit. Others use various methods.

My original 5 year old units and WD element HDD keep on going.

Maybe Shenzhen giec digital co. And tested by Global United Services

1 Like

Adding a cooling solution underneath is a perfectly acceptable solution. Hmm, perhaps I’ll design something that could be 3D printed to match the units footprint. Finding enough time is the hard part.

There were users that found some add-on foot risers on amazon. They lifted the unit up a few more inches off the surface.

I already had a pile of new unused wood 1x1’s in the garage.

This would help, but not completely fix the radiated heat issue with the Quad and the internal HDD.

Since this topic has been talked about for 5+ years, it predates the quad. And the OG units had much less ventilation then the newer models.

I remember when everyone had laptops and were told to keep them off their laps for fear of cooking their junk. So heat associated with internal HDD is not new and SDD are usually even hotter.

No tangible difference between the 02-CN and the earlier 01-CN. I verified this; same chips, same exact mobo, same heat. Probably a new production run and the the old model number simply never got changed on Amazon because it’s the same unit. Why they changed to “02-CN” I don’t know, nor do the peeps who answer the phone, but unlikely there was any deceit or bait-and-switch here.

#Don’tCookMyJunk :fried_egg:

It’s possible that Tablo has two manufacturers and having a different number for each manufacturer would be beneficial if there are any quality control problems.

Hmmm. No TABLO failures reported conclusively determined to be due to internal heat generation.

1 Like

The subject for this thread is “Tablo Quad runs HOT!”. If you look at the OP it’s about concerns related to the hard drive temperatures. I myself have said the Quad has no real heat issues outside of the fact that it bakes the Internal hard drives. When I say bakes they are way outside of industry norms, pushing the limits of what Samsung and others consider max temp for SSD’s even.