Tablo Quad runs HOT!

From what I can tell and I stated before I don’t feel the Quad itself runs too hot for it’s design. I don’t feel it’s any kind of hazard or worry to anyone. It’s 11-13 watts of heat inside a case with no fan. They provided lots of aluminum to help push heat to various areas to help passively cool the device and while it may feel a bit warm it’s just fine. The hard drive inside the unit is just heat soaked a bit too much for my taste.

1 Like

But… for others, they have said that they MUST put the original unit on its side for stability. The new one I don’t think has a “side” flat enough to sit on? But others have suggested elevated racks, laptop style fan pads, etc…

Edit: IMHO, not an uncommon thing, reminds me of Honda. They’ll say anything to avoid a recall.

Well it isn’t a real problem if you’re not concerned that scorching heat will lower the life expectancy of the drive - but even without a drive the top of the Quad gets pretty warm. I’m willing to go along with the idea that it’s within tolerance, as I’ve used many passively cooled graphics cards that run very hot and work forever without issue. A burning internal drive that makes everything hotter is not something I’m comfortable with if it can be avoided.

The first version of my Linksys wrt1900acs router had a small, silent fan that would turn on under heavy load, and it never got beyond very warm. Version 2 of that same model replaced the fan with massive heatsinks throughout, and it rarely even gets warm.

Exactly, I’m not a big fan of 55-60C hard drive temps. The quad does have a good amount of heat sink, well mine use to until I ripped it all out and did my own thing. I’m very happy with my decision, I think of it as piece of mind.

Just my opinion, but if people are purposefully ruining their warranties by cutting holes, stripping heat syncs and inserting fans… I’d give the problem another look see if I were Nuvyyo.

1 Like

I’m the only one so far to do that, it’s my MO. If I buy something and see it’s not working up to my expectations and I know I can do something about it then I do. Has this ever bit me, yes at least once. Do I feel it’s going to bite me this time, no not at all. Unless of course Nuvyyo gets sick of this thread.

I don’t expect Nuvyyo to perform any retaliation. Just too many people saying similar things IMHO to ignore. I don’t think there’s a “hot 4-tuner conspiracy” being waged against Nuvyyo for fun. I also don’t think ya’ll are insane. I do think that many/most thought that the heat problems would be addressed in the new unit. Maybe didn’t meet expectations there. Again, I have a couple of 2-tuners, and they seem ok.

Users have been bitching about the heat since day one.

Out of all the original (OG) 4-tuners, how many melted into a puddle of liquid silicon? And for the ones that did melt how many were mounted in crappy locations like hot attics? I kind of remember users who couldn’t understand that they had placed their unit on a surface that retained heat.

And a few users have been cracking the case since day one.

My dual 64 runs hot (hotter then my OG units) because of the internal flash. But it’s never burped yet.

1 Like

For me it’s all about the internal hard drive and nothing more. The Quad at least is in spec IMO. The hard drive inside the Quad which by the way is not provided by Nuvyyo is too hot. Again, all in my opinion and that of the OP. If they are comfortable with the temperatures the drives run at then that’s just fine. I’m not trying to get them to admit something or change anything.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s actually a compliment to the Quad that we like it so much that we’d never give it up even with this hot little issue.

I tried the Recast before Tablo, and believe me Tablo is better in every way.

…beyond paranoia - a problem doesn’t exist. and you want someone to prove a paranoid problem is non-existent? And I believe in some conspiracy theories.

I came here on a search for samsung 850 evo, thinking it might have a compatibility issue(defective drive stack on Tablo), only to find this interesting thread on heat issues. I just opened a ticket due to constant buffereing after 10 minutes of use. I got to get my ir gun out and test my temps, Im wondering if its heating up under simple useage(gigabit connected lan, 1 tuner, 1 stream) to the point of not being able to hold a stream and constantly buffering every 30 seconds.

If this is the case, I could just have a defective unit, or the engineering team well… lets see what they have to say in my ticket after pulling my system up from mac addr.

Has anyone else experienced product fault/failure due to heat (New Tablo Quad Only)?
Thx

It’s possible that the heat is causing the SSD to slow down enough that it’s causing your issues. If you do some research you’ll find plenty of evidence that excessive heat does slow down many SSD’s. All that being said it’s hard to believe it would slow it down enough to matter for a Tablo.

I’m deep technically, but new to the specific depths of Tablo, it seems I may have more afoot, as I was doing a heat stress test, 4 channels, 4 devices. Measuring temp diffs from idle. Hear went up but not more than I’d worry, tuner side got about 125f driver side no more than 115. However, I only an able to access 3 tuners, the 4th devices requesting the 4th channel deallocates the first device/channel. I expect to be able to do all 4 stably + 2 additional devices either mirroring an active channel or dvr content. But again I’m new here so I could be expecting incorrectly.

What is your recording quality set to? 1080p 10 Mbps?

Recording and live are maxed at 10, however nothing is recording other than the live buffer. I have more than enough network to handle it, it’s gotta be the box or the app.

The recording quality is important because of this…

Specifically…

And a caveat… For 4-Tuner Tablo DVRs ONLY when using the highest recording quality (HD 1080, 720 @ 60fps) Tablo’s fourth tuner will be temporarily disabled if any 720p stations are currently being watched or recorded at 60 fps. This is due to the high processing requirements of this setting.

1 Like

Great information to know. I’ve left my Quad at the 8 Mbps second highest recording level. So far with my fan mod the device has been doing great. No lockups, reboots, etc. and…and most importantly my internal HDD isn’t baking to death.

I’ve been thinking about printing a new case for the Quad to accommodate a larger and quieter fan system. Problem is it’s hard to get motivated to do so when what I have is working just fine.

This is why you can only stream 3 channels at once. I assume the 3 channels are recording at 720p 60 fps so the 4th tuner is locked.

Change the RQ to 1080p 8 Mbps.

I noticed when Tablo received the new shipment of Tablo Quads the model # changed. From TQNS4B-01-CN which is cold on Amazon and the new shipment Best Buy just received has model # TQNS4B-02-CN. I reach out to Tablo through IM on Facebook and I was took each re-seller gets a different model #. I’m a purchasing manager for a corporation, which purchase around 700K of electrics per month from china. We never change the model # unless the is a design or hardware change and all our resellers receive the same model #. The only exception is re-seller private brands under their name. So the answer I received from Tablo frankly makes no sense other then they don’t won’t this information to be widely known, so the can sell off the old model #TQNS4B-01-CN. I called Tablo out and asked them what the new resupply what model # they are now shipping form their website and got zero reply after 3 follow ups. So I would assume there was a design/hardware change in model#TQNS4B-02-CN(the heat issue). Does anyone have TQNS4B-02-CN, which would being willing to open up and take picture of inside and post, so we could compare it to model# TQNS4B-01-CN?