Tablo QUAD - 3D print oversize SATA drive cover

All,

Contemplating generating a 3D model (& printing) a deeper internal SATA drive cover that would house 15 mm thick mobile SATA drives. I realize this would mean putting slightly taller feet on the bottom of the unit, but would allow the Seagate 5TB drive to be mounted in the bay. Of course it would make the Tablo look pregnant - LOL.

Thoughts? Suggestions? etc . . . ** Be Nice now **

Fizix

Why? This could lead to unknown thermal issues because it hasn’t been tested.

Plus the larger drives require more power than the drives we have tested/support.

I guess extreme cooling is also out?

We need more power

I like the idea but I had the exact same concerns as @TabloTV. At the end of the day a USB harddrive might be a better choice.

I haven’t heard anything regarding the technical implementation of the SATA port. The SATA port might be integrated over USB. If it is there is ZERO advantage other then aesthetic.

The Seagate 5 TB drive uses about 400 mW more than the 2 TB version (at max draw - 2.1 W for the 5 TB)). I would be very surprised to find that the Tablo board can’t deliver this, but can power a USB device that has it’s own electronics plus a hard drive. USB 2 specification is up to 2.5 W.

Regarding cooling, the extra surface area with side slots of such a cover would provide a little bit more airflow. I suspect that it would more than compensate for the 300 - 400 mW more of heat. Just my opinion of course.

P.S. My unit is inside a cabinet and already has a fan that blows on it for cooling.

Fizix

It’s your device, do what you want to, but Tablo has officially told you it’s outside their testing parameters and has been very clear on their official requirements so I wouldn’t expect support if you encounter any issues.

Having said that, if you really need that much space you can always use an external drive. Given that you have options the limitations seem fair.

Tablo does not recommend using a USB drive that doesn’t have it’s own power supply. So far as the USB specification. Many USB host devices don’t follow all USB specifications.

Edit: 500ma (aka 2.5 watts) isn’t a lot of power to run a hard drive.

@jimtablotv wrote:

Tablo does not recommend using a USB drive that doesn’t have it’s own power supply.

That is a strange statement considering that Tablo Support says:

Our most recommended drive is the Western Digital Elements

Which of course has no external power supply jack. And I guarantee that if you open it you will find a USB to SATA bridge attached to a mobile 2.5" SATA drive (i.e. electronics and a hard drive). I don’t believe they are recommending a power Y to run the WD Elements drive.

We were giving you our thoughts. To the best of my knowledge all the Western Digital Elements drives have power supplies except the small one that contains a 2.5 inch drive. Of course you could take that one out and put in the quad with no modification.

If you are comfortable it will work attach a 3.5 inch drive and try it. I would do that and load test it before I designed the new cover though. Run all four tuners and stream to multiple devices.

Then come back and let us know what your results are.

@jimtablotv,

I had forgotten that there was a desktop version of the WD Elements.
On my original Tablo 4-tuner I have a 4TB portable WD Elements that I have never had any issues with.

Unfortunately, internally that is a 15 mm thick 2.5" drive so it cannot be extracted from the case and put into the unit. At least not without the said modification.

You wrote:

If you are comfortable it will work attach a 3.5 inch drive and try it.

Did you mean 2.5"? The whole point for me was to have a device that is self contained (i.e. no extra cables and external drive).

I always thought that Tablo was recommending the portable WD Elements drives, not the desktop.

No I meant try a 3.5 inch drive attached via SATA to your Tablo for testing purposes. If it works then you can design the cover.

@jimtablotv:

I think it will be easier for me to insert the Seagate 5TB 2.5" 15mm drive without the cover and put a temporary zip tie around the unit to hold it in place for testing.

That way no extension cables for power and data.

Fizix

P.S. I suspect that there are quite a few that will simply not put the cover on. :wink:

You’re probably right. I might put some spacers to allow better air flow under the whole thing.

@jimtablotv:

That is what I meant by:

I realize this would mean putting slightly taller feet on the bottom of the unit . . .

Fizix