Tablo Nation - I need your help with pixelization issues

@Codebest Good point…

Resolved (I think)!
Folks, my issues seem to have gone away after a hard drive change out. I tested the Seagate drive I had and it failed the full tests with the Seatools utility. I also moved the config back to the original site and set-up and it seems to be recording without issue.
Thanks to all who responded and gave me good ideas to try. Thanks to @bbaorbb for the HDD tip.
Also, thanks to Tablo support for their help although I do agree with another person who said they seem to error on the side of software or reception as the issue.
In summary, if you are having issues with short recordings or pixelization during the recording try these tips-

1. Try rescanning to see if reception is the issue.
  2. Try a new hard drive.
  3. Try a new power supply.
  4. Make sure the Tablo is as cool as possible (I have mine elevated on two foam runners for air flow underneath.
  5. Contact Tablo support as they can access the unit remotely and look for issues in the log files.

Thanks again to Tablo Nation!

1 Like

Moral of the story, don’t buy Seagate consumer level hard drives.

Yeah. I actually had a couple of HDDs laying around from old laptops and bought a case for one, a Hitachi 250GB. Used it to start with the Tablo but bought a Seagate to expand to 1TB. This one was on the list from Tablo as a good drive to use. Any recommendations from @Codebest for a drive to buy for the future?

Personally I would go with WD or HGST (Hitachi). I’m currently using a Toshiba 1TB which came new out of a PS4 Pro. If it’s good enough for Sony it’s good enough for a Tablo. I’ve just had far too many Seagate consumer drives fail. Now enterprise wise Seagate is a bit better. HGST is my fav however for enterprise stuff.

I like HGST (post IBM Deathstar) as well, however it’s becoming more of a mixed bag with the WD acquisition. Harder to tell with HGST are HGST and which are strictly HGST (fab) and which are just in name only.

poohdog, You might want to rescan again today. They did the repack this morning. We had a lot of trouble with pixilation, especially CBS 58, when they went to low power in preparation for the changes. We live south of Mitchel Field. This morning after the rescan everything is great. Looking forward to getting clean recordings of our Friday night shows.

@DocBrown, thanks for the suggestion but I already did that today as a couple of Milwaukee stations changed frequencies. CBS 58 was not one of the stations I was trying to record so I did not notice that change. Hope the signals are better for Racine as well…